Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 05-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
Unhappy Last Ditch Effort... i really need alero help.

ok guys, i'm in need here and I'm hoping I can get some answers because i'm losing hope in my dying alero.

i'm gonna break it down into sections of issues. here I go.

mechanical problems:

Problem 1:

code P0442: definition: BBEVAP (evaporative emission system) small leak/ no flow condition

code P0440: definition: BBEVAP (evaporative emission system) small leak/ no flow condition

**I know these aren't serious but they keep my "SES" light on, and i don't know if something serious is actually happening, so i would like it to be fixed. I have already replaced the gas cap with no luck.

Problem 2:

When the car is cold, it accelerates fine. I suspect i need a new thermostat because the car always stays at or slightly above the 1/4 mark and rarely gets over the 1/2 mark. So, when the car gets close to the 1/2 mark, it begins accelerating terribly. After shifting into 2nd gear, the rpms go nuts where they increase, stay constant, increase, stay constant, ect. this all happens with the gas pedal held constant for any somewhat-quick acceleration. the car accelerates in a jerky manner and is feels as if its bogging down. I've been told it could be the following: bad TPS sensor, bad MAF sensor, clogged cat, or a bad torque convertor. any ideas?

**this is the single worst problem I am experiencing with the car right now.

problem 3

when running, car emmits a higher-pitched metal grinding/chattering sound. I cannot figure out what it is but it sounds bad.

problem 4

after car is warmed up, power steering does not work right. fluid at correct level is somehow overflowing the resivor and it is very difficult to turn the steering wheel when car is warm.

problem 5

coolant light comes on when car is cold and shuts off on its own. fluid level is correct and no loss of fluid is apparent

problem 6

my rear brakes squeal when i apply them in moderate breaking situations. also, when it rains, my brakes feel very very unresponsive and take awhile to "grab". if i hit the brakes as hard as i can, they still don't grab and my ABS will engage but makes the situation even worse. they never did this before (p.s. the pads and rotors were replaced early last summer and are not worn out)

structural problems:

my car has some suspension-related problems

problem 1:

last winter I slid off the road into a ditch and a tow truck pulled me out. I remember him hooking the tow strap to a metal arm going from the center of the back of the car to the driver side back tire. i think this is a control arm? anyway, during a recent tire rotation, i noticed that the bar is completely collapsed and I am wondering if this is why the rear of my car has been difficult to handle in rainy/snowy conditions due to misalignment. what is this part and how do I replace it?

problem 2:

car has a terrible creaking noise when I turn corners

appearance problems:

problem 1:

my car is rusting. badly. its on the inside bottom of all my doors and around inside trim of my hood and trunk. why is it doing this and how can i stop it?

problem 2:

my car was crashed before I bought it and the rear bumper that replaced the original seems to be rubbing on the metal it meets, causing a no paint situation and rust. My trunk latch hook is also rusting off. how do I remove the rear bumper to repair these problems?

I'd like to thank everyone in advance. If you have any insight to the problems I am describing, please give all available info!

I guess i've fallen out of love with my alero and it just may be time to say goodbye if it proves to be expensive problems. Its a great car, just mine is simply tired out.

Last edited by TheEdgeofSanity : 05-23-2009 at 12:58 AM.
TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #2
Atmosphere
GL Member

Atmosphere is on a distinguished road
I'm experiencing an evap leak as well, I suspected it might have been the fuel cap as the light usually came on after getting gas. Replaced the cap with no luck. As far as the rust goes you can try putting a bit of oil on it, that will stop oxygen from reaching it and making it worse.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
code P0442: definition: BBEVAP (evaporative emission system) small leak/ no flow condition

Usually mean the gas cap is not seated right, might need a new one, 440 code, don't know, Google it

Quote:
When the car is cold, it accelerates fine. I suspect i need a new thermostat because the car always stays at or slightly above the 1/4 mark and rarely gets over the 1/2 mark. So, when the car gets close to the 1/2 mark, it begins accelerating terribly. After shifting into 2nd gear, the rpms go nuts where they increase, stay constant, increase, stay constant, ect. this all happens with the gas pedal held constant for any somewhat-quick acceleration. the car accelerates in a jerky manner and is feels as if its bogging down. I've been told it could be the following: bad TPS sensor, bad MAF sensor, clogged cat, or a bad torque convertor. any ideas?

Sounds like a bad MAF to me. Had the same problems, replaced the MAF, but damn the car didn't like it at first

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:30 AM   #4
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
DTC P0440 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System

System Description

The control module tests the evaporative emission (EVAP) system for a large leak. The control module monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor signal to determine the EVAP system vacuum level. When the conditions for running are met, the control module commands the EVAP canister purge valve OPEN and the EVAP vent valve CLOSED . This allows engine vacuum to enter the EVAP system. At a calibrated time, or vacuum level, the control module commands the EVAP canister purge valve closed, sealing the system, and monitors the FTP sensor input in order to determine the EVAP system vacuum level. If the system is unable to achieve the calibrated vacuum level, or the vacuum level decreases too rapidly, this DTC sets.

I'd check for leaks or a break in the EVAP lines.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
I'd check for leaks or a break in the EVAP lines.

how do I do this? what does the EVAP system look like?

Old 05-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdgeofSanity View Post
Problem 2
Torque converter clutch.
Quote:
problem 3
A/C clutch.
Quote:
problem 5
Sensor.
Quote:
problem 6
Low fluid.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
sell nate your car for an epic gain... buy new. too many problems to be worth it.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
sell nate your car for an epic gain... buy new. too many problems to be worth it.

lol, funny thing is that he WANTS my car. i don't even know how i'm going to sell this thing without putting money into it to get a decent amount back...

Old 05-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

i think since i'm now on summer vacation, i'll take it to a mechanic for the hesitation problem. i'm really hoping it isn't the torque convertor because that sounds super expensive to fix. i don't understand why it only happens when the car is hot because everything i've read about torque convertor failure says its worse when cold or at all operating temperatures. car runs fine when cold.

grr....

Old 05-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
if your on summer vaca.. its the best time to learn how to fix it yourself.

lots of free time!
Old 05-23-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

i don't have the tools or know-how on how to remove a transmission. i want to take it for a diagnosis so i have a professional opinion of what is wrong before I go replacing everything with no results.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
replace MAF to fix transmission problem
Old 05-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
i'm really hoping it isn't the torque convertor because that sounds super expensive to fix.

Torque converter CLUTCH. CLUTCH! Not the torque converter! This is just a tiny solenoid that locks the torque converter to the engine so it's directly connected like a manual. Small fix.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Torque converter CLUTCH. CLUTCH! Not the torque converter! This is just a tiny solenoid that locks the torque converter to the engine so it's directly connected like a manual. Small fix.

hahah, MAF and the clutch

fix and be happy
Old 05-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post

The torque converter clutch is inside the torque converter. What you're referring to is the torque converter clutch solenoid.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #16
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

so... bottom line, do I have to take apart my transmission? i really dont want to have to do that. also, how do I get the MAF out of my car? i'm afraid to go pulling on it because that usually results in more things breaking.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:13 PM   #17
cherrington17
Gone

MAF is cake.

Where your air intake comes in, there is a big square piece w/ some wires connected to it. Unplug the harness, remove the 4 hex screws. MAF pulls right out. Spray with carb cleaner, reinstall.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #18
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

i will post a tutorial....
Old 05-26-2009, 10:41 PM   #19
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
eh im bored ill help out:

Quote:
you can throw IAT into the mix aswell, its really hit or miss with these sensors.

Quote:
when running, car emmits a higher-pitched metal grinding/chattering sound. I cannot figure out what it is but it sounds bad.

bad wheel hub/axle/cv joint or maybe something more simpler, maybe your wheel hub metal piece is rubbing against your rotor causing the annoying noise.

Quote:
coolant light comes on when car is cold and shuts off on its own. fluid level is correct and no loss of fluid is apparent

bad coolant level sensor/short in the wire, i would see if you can get the actual plug that goes to the sensor and replace the sensor itself and splice in a new connector to it.

Quote:
last winter I slid off the road into a ditch and a tow truck pulled me out. I remember him hooking the tow strap to a metal arm going from the center of the back of the car to the driver side back tire. i think this is a control arm? anyway, during a recent tire rotation, i noticed that the bar is completely collapsed and I am wondering if this is why the rear of my car has been difficult to handle in rainy/snowy conditions due to misalignment. what is this part and how do I replace it?

your trailing arm is probably bent and your rear wheels are not correctly positioned (one is more towards the front of the car then the other)

Quote:
car has a terrible creaking noise when I turn corners

this could be from your upper strut mounts, if they are shot it will only make the noise at very low speeds. (ex. backing out of your driveway or making a 3 point turn)

Quote:
my car is rusting. badly. its on the inside bottom of all my doors and around inside trim of my hood and trunk. why is it doing this and how can i stop it?

this is caused from shitty car washes, when you wash your car you should be cleaning inside your door jams and not letting that water sit in there because it will rust away at the car, the only thing you can do is spray it with 415 and this will stop the rust in its tracks and prevent it from getting worse

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #20
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Let's See,

NEW: MAP, IAT,

Clean: MAF

there is your tranny problem