Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 11-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
DavidV_
GX Member

DavidV_ is on a distinguished road
Cool Head gasket or Limg??

Hello, new member here so forgive me if I do anything noobish . I have a blue Alero 3.4 with just a little over 114k miles on it. For awhile it’s had issues overheating, sometimes to the point where I’d have to pull over to let it cool down a bit. Recently I decided that I should do a coolant flush, I drained old coolant (which was quite brown), changed thermostat and coolant temp sensor, and filled her up with water and Prestone Flush + Cleaner. I turned it on and it began to act strange after awhile and a CEL popped up so I scanned it and had a p0306 misfire code, it got late so I left it for the day. Today, I turned it on and it struggled quite a bit to start and sounded kinda bad so I decided to check the CEL again and a p0300 code came up. I checked the oil and I got quite worried when I saw that it was milky. The head gasket was replaced a few years ago before the car sat until I got it as my first car. Could this be another head gasket issue or a limg? Car would use a lot of coolant and had bad gas mileage
DavidV_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
03Alerosil
GL Member

03Alerosil is on a distinguished road
head gasket. change both.
03Alerosil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Inspect for external leaks as well. That's how I figured out that all I needed was the LIM. I could see it dripping.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
MilzyZ34
GX Member

MilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond reputeMilzyZ34 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MilzyZ34
I agree that most likely the headgaskets and lower intakes need to be replaced. I would advise that you only use AC Delco gaskets, and follow their updated torque specs.

Another possibility is that the heads and/or block are cracked or warped. If it were my car, this is where I would considering doing a 3500 swap.
1977 Corvette - LS1/LS6 T56 - Under Construction
MilzyZ34 is offline   Reply With Quote