Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 09-23-2004, 10:36 PM   #1
vanillaman

I got my kit from AAS wednesdaya nd put it on today now I went to Maaco earlier and they said they would paint my car Black with a Clear Coat for $550 for a 2 year warranty. This doesn't include getting the jambs painted(the inside doors, under hood, and under the trunk). My car is currently the factory red and I am keeping teh red/black theme to my car so i figured I would save about $500 more dollars leaving the jambs red. But my question is, has anyone heard anything about Maaco's paint job, good or bad I would liek tog et some information before I get it painted there monday. BTW The next paint shop I went to said their Estimate would be around $2600.00 so there is a difference.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:54 PM   #2
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Maaco sucks.

You get what you pay for in a paint job. $2,600 seemed like a pretty fair estimate for a quality paintjob. The $2,600 paintjob will last the life of the car more then likely, the Maaco one? In 2 months you will stuff going wrong with it, bubbling, orange peeling, etc. My friend got his truck painted at Maaco, and it looked like crap after 2 months. Clear coat was gone in some spots.

Wait for Chris (Bdyman) to chime in on this, he does this stuff for a living.
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:56 PM   #3
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
i've seen a maaco job, and for the price it wasnt bad. but it's not show quality. all depends on what you want. and with a 2 year warrantee, any defects will have to be fixed.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 11:44 PM   #4
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
yeah, my friend got his 240sx painted for 200$ and it definatly is far from great. but one other question: how much would it cost to just get your body kit painted (the AAS) as the same color as your car?
Old 09-24-2004, 01:01 AM   #5
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
lol!!.........oh my god...........lol..........ok once again you get what you pay for you want cheap your going to get cheap you want nice and the paint job to last then you pay for it

and why on god`s green earth would you keep the door jambs red?? doing that is butchering a car and should not be worthy to be in your hands
macco is and has to be the biggest joke in my trade they still use enamal and laquer and ya have to pay more for urathene that`s crazy!!!!
just to give you a rough estimate here are my labor rates 25 an hour for body and paint 40 hours a week at 3 weeks worth of work you do the math
body work and paint work is not cheap at all and do not have the car painted at macco it will look like complete crap!!!! go to a shop especially a shop that deals in custom work and will make that body kit fit real nice and your car will glow like a babies ass
would you feel proud of a black car with red door jambs??? i think not i personally would laugh at you all i am saying is don`t go cheap macco doesn`t even use corrosion protected products you car will rust in 6 months maybe even less over spray all over the moldings on the windows tires you want that?? at a shop we will take the whole car apart and prep and paint all the jambs and make it look like a factory paint job
personally i would stick with the factory color it will save you more money in the estimate
you go and want to change the color it will cost ALLOT more and doing that the right way all the sheet meatal would come off doors deck lid and prep and paint the car the right way
don`t think what i do is cheap it`s not at all what i do is almost a art form especially painting bottom line take it to a quality shop
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 10:27 AM   #6
vanillaman

Well thanks for all the information from everyone. Well. judging from everyone's opinions MAaco has been rules out lol. The people who put on my body kit( a custom shop) are gonna hook me up with their paint guy they use and will get my kit painted red for $350 with everything, sounds like a decient deal. Only problem with my kit is that on the front my bumper under my passenger headlight has a larger gap then the other headlight which really is bothering me, so if anyone can tell me a way to raise that side up a bit it would help. Thanks agian
Old 09-24-2004, 12:54 PM   #7
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
on mine i just wedged some stuff in there.. you could use cardboard or wood shims or whatever, not exactly sure what you're working with on the AAS though... just a thought.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote