Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 01-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Caboose73

S/C exhaust

I have a quick question i bought a dynomax super turbo with a 3inch inlet and dual 2 1/4inch outlets.I was planning on running a 3inch exhaust with my turbo but now that im going to buy ions S/C will it still be fine to run the 3inch exhaust with the S/C or will i lose to much low end Tq?Ive searched around and i saw alot of people running 2.5inch so i wasnt sure.

Also to give you guys a heads up when ever i get the S/C im going to put my brand new top mount turbo manifold up for sale.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
It'll be fine. I run 2.5" with a Dynomax Super turbo though.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
Caboose73

Is there anyway to take the super charger apart and powder coat it ?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, or you can have Stiegemeier polish it:

[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Yes, you could run a 3" exhaust no problem. It's a common misconception that just because there's no turbo in the exhaust stream, it means you still need small piping to maintain exhaust velocity and low end torque.

The reason you want high exhaust velocity on a NA engine is so that the scavenging effect inside the cylinder pulls in fresh intake air when the exhaust is pumped out. On an engine with any kind of boost, the air is being forced in, which means exhaust scavenging has no affect on how much air is being pulled in. On top of that, with the instant boost of a positive displacement supercharger, it'll provide so much more low end torque than exhaust scavenging ever could. And on top of that, with boost comes more exhaust gasses being generated. You need a big enough pipe to accommodate all that added volume.

So basically what you want for any type of boosted application is an exhaust system with the least amount of backpressure that you can get. You do this with with larger piping and straight through mufflers.

If you're really worried about it (I wouldn't be) you could always just run a 2.5" exhaust and an expander to 3" right at the muffler. It would be no big deal, since at lower power levels, 2.5" pipe is plenty.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
3" will be fine, and I had no problem with low end torque, i could have actually lost some just to get some traction!! but with the new I am trying to decide between 3.5" and 4" and where to begin these said pipe sizes since the headers are 1 5/8 into 3"
Old 01-25-2009, 04:16 AM   #7
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
3" to the cat (or where there used to be a cat) then one of these..

Low turbulence cone reducer - 3" to 3.5"

..then 3.5" cat-back.

Or you could always put the cone right at the header and run 3.5" from the header
Old 01-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
You think 3.5" is enough? And I could always have a custom collector made where primaries go into a 3.5 or 4 collector
Old 01-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
NickAlero2000
GLS member

NickAlero2000 is on a distinguished road
these are some big ass exhausts we're talking here lol
im thinking 3 1/2 for my setup, want to run 10's eventually, why not just start where im gonna end?
NickAlero2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Bad99Olds
New and Improved

Bad99Olds is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bad99Olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAlero2000 View Post
im thinking 3 1/2 for my setup, want to run 10's eventually, why not just start where im gonna end?

ur gonna need more than a twincharge at 9psi to run 10's. lolz. unless its a bicycle.
Bad99Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

MixtapeMessiah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to MixtapeMessiah
Good luck

Last edited by MixtapeMessiah : 01-25-2009 at 09:58 PM.
MixtapeMessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

Quote:

You'd be lucky dude, Spy was pushin out 450hp on his old setup and barely hit high 11's in the 1/4
Old 01-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
Caboose73

besides taking out the interior what can we do to shave some pounds off the Ho
Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

lol gut everything? still then u better be plannin on more than 500 horses, but good luck with that..
Old 01-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
NickAlero2000
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixtapeMessiah View Post
You'd be lucky dude, Spy was pushin out 450hp on his old setup and barely hit high 11's in the 1/4

yes, this i know because im buyin his old setup lol.
and he hit a low 12 with it. i know the setup has more potential and is capable of higher boost levels and tweaking here and there.

Spy was only at 14 lbs when he made 432 hp and ran 12. He feels it would have been capable of mid 11s had his trans not gone. I can and will push this setup to higher horsepower and boost levels. some have run 18 pounds with the GT3076R, and have produced far greater horsepower.
I'll top out this setup and in time, will buy a bigger turbo and such.

Internals are next summers project as well, but for now im focusing on getting boosted.

By the end of junior year in college, i would like a 10 second Alero.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #16
MixtapeMessiah
Southern Fly Boy returns

Well good luck to you bro, u face many trials and errors hope ur ready!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #17
NickAlero2000
GLS member

Thanks for the well wishes, I'm as ready as I will ever be!
Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #18
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
Quote:
yes, this i know because im buyin his old setup lol.
and he hit a low 12 with it. i know the setup has more potential and is capable of higher boost levels and tweaking here and there.

Spy was only at 14 lbs when he made 432 hp and ran 12. He feels it would have been capable of mid 11s had his trans not gone. I can and will push this setup to higher horsepower and boost levels. some have run 18 pounds with the GT3076R, and have produced far greater horsepower.
I'll top out this setup and in time, will buy a bigger turbo and such.

Internals are next summers project as well, but for now im focusing on getting boosted.

By the end of junior year in college, i would like a 10 second Alero.

Bring that beast to lebanon valley.....too many people with imports there who think their the fastest...like usual. One kid has a neon srt-4 and thinks its the shiiiiit then theres that girl carla with the VR4, that thing is gonna be a beast though.........then you show up and smoke them with an alero Im excited to see how this project turns out. Good luck man, we still gotta meet up around here sometime.... ive just been busy/EXHAUSTED the last few weeks, too much going on right now.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #19
kwhauck
2Screwy

12.4 isn't a low 12.....
Old 01-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #20
NickAlero2000
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhauck View Post
12.4 isn't a low 12.....

so a mid to low 12 then, still faster than any n-body aounrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
Bring that beast to lebanon valley.....too many people with imports there who think their the fastest...like usual. One kid has a neon srt-4 and thinks its the shiiiiit then theres that girl carla with the VR4, that thing is gonna be a beast though.........then you show up and smoke them with an alero Im excited to see how this project turns out. Good luck man, we still gotta meet up around here sometime.... ive just been busy/EXHAUSTED the last few weeks, too much going on right now.

and yes, i will be going to lebanon in the spring! and we do need to meet up sometime, ive also been busy/exhausted with school and work, RPI is no joke...