Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 10-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
tv help

it doesn't say car audio, video, and security

anyways looking to purchase our first nice tv in the next couple months and would like some personal input from people with flat screens

i am looking at a minimum 42" up to possibly a 55"

i will have $1500-$2500 to play with, maybe a little more, but less than $2000 would be nice.

so cover the basics for me, lcd, plasma, 1080p, aspect ratios, blah blah blah.....

Thanks in advance!! Kyle
Old 10-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
People like LCD because less burn in than Plasma but then again Plasma has bright colors and when it comes to 1080p you might as well get it altho you will save yourself some money with 720p. Aspect ratio should always be 16:9 which is just how you view the video you are watching

Oh and get 50 or bigger. I bought 2x50s and I am very happy. I see people that have a 42 and you really notice the difference especially side by side

My next TV will be a 58 or larger for sure.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Depends on the room size.

In my place your head is litterally 9 ft and 11 ft away from the screen depending on what Lazy Boy you are sitting in.

We had a 32" at first which was plenty big... Way bigger than the 27" standard screen i did have.

We now have a 42" and its perfect. It seemed a little large at first but now I like it. Any larger would be to big IMO.

1080p is the minimum now. Dont get ANYTHING less.

Biggest thing is STICK TO A WELL KNOWN BRAND.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
LCD without a doubt. More reliable and most efficient. Plasmas have a bad reputation for alot of things, including being throwaway units, electricity hogs, and its possible to burn the screen.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
what about contrast ratio, is 100000:1 gonna really be that different than 3000000:1?

also i heard lg's are crap, yes?

any recommends brands?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Fi-Alero
GL Member

Fi-Alero is on a distinguished road
I work at a Pawn shop, I see every type of T.V. come through after 1 month to 5 years of use.

1080 LCD is the way to go. The size depends on how far you are away from the T.V. The trick is to go to the store, and look at the LCDs at a distance at which you would be sitting in the room.

As far as brands, I have an Emerson myself (budget line) and it looks just as good as any sony, toshiba, AOC, etc. All companies are making T.V.s so cheap these days to maximize profit, in fact, most brands use the same imported panels.
Fi-Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
What about LED TV's?

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
What about LED TV's?

led gives longer life span (no bulb to burn) and thinner/better contrast then standard lcd. but cost alot more.

your contrast ratio is going to be your white to black ratio. (how white the whites are, compared to the blackest black) the higher, the crisper the picture. plasma has a ridiculously high level of contrast, but images can burn in, much more energy to operate.

its up to you, as to what your looking for. each company has good lines and bad lines. IMO, LG is a good mid-high grade. Sony is the same. But both companies have their "cadillac" lines, which are high grade. AOC is made by Envision. EXCELLENT mid grade tv. Samsung is good...

I don't know of any that are horrible. I'd stay away from a company you've never heard of. But as for LG being crap, thats far from the truth. They are a major leading brand, these days. Good quality on most things.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I've got a 42inch Vizio plasma that I got for 747 and I haven't had any issues with burn in, and I play the Wii and PS2 on it all the time. With any plasma you have to go through a 100hr break in then all is good. My sister picked up a 32inch Vizio plasma and hasn't had an issue. The LED tv's look very good though...Out of them all stay away from DLP TV's...they end up costing more in the long run.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #10
NickAlero2000
GLS member

NickAlero2000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
I've got a 42inch Vizio plasma that I got for 747 and I haven't had any issues with burn in, and I play the Wii and PS2 on it all the time. With any plasma you have to go through a 100hr break in then all is good. My sister picked up a 32inch Vizio plasma and hasn't had an issue. The LED tv's look very good though...Out of them all stay away from DLP TV's...they end up costing more in the long run.

I have a 42'' Visio LCD with 1080P as well, cept I got mine for 410
Look around for used TV's, they go cheap that way.
NickAlero2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
Ian 2000GL LA1
GL Member

Ian 2000GL LA1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ian 2000GL LA1
i help with home installs all day at a local shop i'de recommend the sony bravias or any of the new LG sets. they also deal with panasonic and one other company i cant think of right now. some of the LGs r just a touch sharper than the sony's. ide also reccomend a wall mount.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
FrankTheTank
GLS member

FrankTheTank is an unknown quantity at this point
maybe my eyes suck, but when i'm in the store i cant tell the difference between a 720p and 1080p set.
thus, i just picked up a 42" panasonic plasma for $480 from dell.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
Vella's Alero
GL Member

Vella's Alero is on a distinguished road
Personally I would go with a 1080P Pioneer Plasma line. They have some wicked colour and if you have some seats that arent dead onto the screen LCD will fade and the colouring won't be as good on the sides.

Also is the room that it is being put into have a lot of light or not? If it doesn't then go LCD but if it has a lot of light then go plasma for ease of viewing.

A good site to check out that has dedicated people for all this and review a ton of screens would be www.pcmag.com . They are very reliable and have no connections with any one such brand so they are completely objective.

Another thing would be to take the contrast ratio number with a grain of sand because every company measures it differently so what might be 2000000 for one might be half that for another.

OWN - 1996 Rover 414 - replaced engine with a 1.7TD Isuzu lump and gearbox, Uprated brakes, Custom seats and interior trim, MG ZS 11 spoke wheels, Custom bodywork, Custom LED taillamps, Custom gauge surround to hold 2 52mm gauges (filled with boost and oil pressure gauge)
Vella's Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #14
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
We bought the $800 42" Phillips at Wal mart and put an extended 2 year warranty on it.

I think it was a bit over $940ish out the door.

Been about 9 months with it no issue besides the remote control is on the fritz.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #15
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
42" aquos, 3 yrs and still goin strong paid 600ish
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #16
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
37" Westinghouse 1080I, 5years and its still perfect! paid 900 way back in 2004 LOL
Old 10-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #17
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
you can listen to all the banter about everything, but one of the most important aspects was not discussed.

yeah, size matters, but what matters most once you're narrowed down to a couple of good choices with overall visual quality, is refresh rate and black levels. That's where you want to make comparisons. If you are truly into video quality, you'll notice a serious difference between 60 and 120 refresh rate. The larger the screen, the more you'll notice the difference. 60 looks very choppy as compared to a 120 which is very smooth in motion sequences. This drove me absolutely bat-shit crazy with 60 hertz models.

Go to Best Buy and get a floor model. They have a policy where they have to take down/sell their wall display models every 3 months (at least, that's what the salesman and manager told us). You'll get everything included except the box, and a full warranty just as if you bought it new.

My wife went and bought a 51", a blue ray player (with built in netflix), and a yamaha 525 receiver (with 1080p upscaling) and HDMI cables for all of em and walked out at about 2100 including tax and extended warranty.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:04 AM   #18
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
When you get one and start getting devises that use HDMI cables. Go to amazon.com and search for Bargaincell. He has cables for $.01. I bought 2 of them and they work perfectly!
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:09 AM   #19
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I work for a television manufacture and we build and sale anything from a 10.4" to 42". We use different manufacturers of panels (LG, Sharp, Samsung, AU Optronics, Chi Mei and a few others) depending on size and pricepoint and what not. I can tell you from personal experience that LG panels are trash! We repair or replace LG panels more that any other brand. I would personally never buy an LG television.

I own a 46" Sharp 1080p thats about 2.5 years old and still happy with it. I would recommend those to others.

There is no standard for contrast ratio. Manufacturers measure it all differently.

240 Hz is good for sports but makes movies and everything else look like a damn soap opera.

Plasma is pretty much a dead technology. Pioneer, Vizio, and Samsung have abandoned plasma because of cost and sales compared to LCD. Panasonic is the only major manufacturer of plasma panels left.

OLED is really nice but costs an arm and leg compared to similar sized TFT.

It really is a matter of opinion. You need to go to a store and look at them yourself and decide then. 4" of screen size for every foot you sit away from it.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:38 AM   #20
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
dont forget the surround sound!!

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote