Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 10-10-2009, 02:57 AM   #21
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
We just got the Sharp Aquous last year and I recommoned it.

I was looking at the LG one too.

Our living room is very small so we only got a 32" We were goingto buy the LG and I think it was 39" but they were out of stock. We bought to fit our cabinet too

I suggest the LCD. Like everybody said, plasma burns in easy and the LCD has twice the life of the plasma.

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:16 AM   #22
AZFire316
GL Member

AZFire316 is on a distinguished road
i own a 50" panasonic plasma and plasmas really have a bad reputation. The burn in issues exist on lower end panels and older plasmas, but newer ones such as mine, do not. I use my plasma also as my pc monitor with no issues. Energy consumption and heat are two drawbacks. TV life i dont think will be an issue also.
AZFire316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:35 AM   #23
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAlero2000 View Post
I have a 42'' Visio LCD with 1080P as well, cept I got mine for 410
Look around for used TV's, they go cheap that way.
I hate you...LOL...but I wouldn't pay that for a used set.....espeacially for a plasma set.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #24
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank View Post
maybe my eyes suck, but when i'm in the store i cant tell the difference between a 720p and 1080p set.
thus, i just picked up a 42" panasonic plasma for $480 from dell.

there is no difference in 720p and 1080p with any set under 42". The human eye doesn't have the ability to discriminate such a difference.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #25
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
I own a 45" Sharp Aquos that I've had for just over 5 years now, also 2 other Sharp LCDs in the house. I've never had a single issue with the picture on any of them. I would recommend one.

A couple of the other advantages of the LCD is that it weighs less and uses less power / generates less heat than plasma. The LED backlit LCD TVs are even better! Another thing is that Plasmas just look "coarse" to me in comparison to LCD.

Probably most of what you're going to get in that size class is going to be 1080P.

To understand the whole P vs i thing, click here.

As for the Hz (Screen Refresh) rating. Most of the older TVs were 60Hz. Kinda makes sense because that's what the power going into your home is. BUT when you would watch a movie, most of which are filmed at 24 FPS you could see some artifacts in the screen because of the inconsistencies (60Hz/24FPS=2.5) Most older TVs have a feature called 3:2 pulldown to compensate. This is where 120Hz comes in. It works good for both film (120Hz/24FPS=5) and regular TV (120Hz/30FPS=4).

The aspect ratio is pretty well a non issue. Probably all TVs your going to get are going to be widescreen, and most likely any panel you get in that size class will be 1920X1080.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #26
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
there is no difference in 720p and 1080p with any set under 42". The human eye doesn't have the ability to discriminate such a difference.

*cough*BULLSHIT*cough*

You can't speak for all humans just because YOU can't see the difference below 42".

I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on my wife's 22" monitors.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #27
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
*cough*BULLSHIT*cough*

You can't speak for all humans just because YOU can't see the difference below 42".

*cough* learn stuff *cough*
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768167
Old 10-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #28
ServO
GL Member

ServO is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
*cough*BULLSHIT*cough*

Yeah agreed, I can tell the difference as well. I could care less if the internet says I can't.
ServO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #29
cherrington17
Gone

its the medical community supplying that info. not dah webbernetz.

the human eye cant discriminate such minute detail.

resolution and refresh rates will change the appearance too, which is a BIG difference between computer monitors.

also to mention, the average viewing distance of a computer monitor is MUCH less than that of your average TV. At the distance, it isn't possible for your eyes to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Plain and simple.

the contrast/refresh difference, yes. Pixel difference, no.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #30
AZFire316
GL Member

One thing to consider when looking at 1080P vs 720P is if youre only gonna watch broadcast HD and not Blu-ray is that most HD tv is still transmitted in 1080i
Old 10-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #31
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
The difference between 60hz and 120hz I can tell. The difference between 720 and 1080 not so much.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #32
FrankTheTank
GLS member

FrankTheTank is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
The difference between 60hz and 120hz I can tell. The difference between 720 and 1080 not so much.
That is how it is for me. Especially when I am 10 feet from my tv
Old 10-11-2009, 02:24 AM   #33
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Ah, so now THEY'RE authorized to dictate what I can and can't see as well? Yes, they did ask me to borrow my eyeballs and brain so they could do the test and make sure I couldn't see the difference. LOL Give up Chris. It's not going to fly.

Quote:
its the medical community supplying that info. not dah webbernetz.

the human eye cant discriminate such minute detail.

resolution and refresh rates will change the appearance too, which is a BIG difference between computer monitors.

also to mention, the average viewing distance of a computer monitor is MUCH less than that of your average TV. At the distance, it isn't possible for your eyes to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Plain and simple.

the contrast/refresh difference, yes. Pixel difference, no.

Ok, now throw in your "distance" disclaimer. You simply said you couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. So yes, I agree. I can't tell the difference. At 20 feet viewing distance.

Leave it alone. Neither you nor anyone else can say whether I can or cannot tell the difference. I can certainly tell you that I notice that one is slightly lesser quality and resolution than another.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:12 AM   #34
AZFire316
GL Member

refresh rates also tend to affect LCDs a bit more than plasmas, for example if you watch live HD sports on a 60hz LCD, it looks a little bit blurry during a high paced action scene where as a plasma at a comparable refresh rate is smooth and clear
Old 10-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #35
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Has anyone ever watched sports at 60hz and 120hz....I look at tennis and one difference I see is that at 60hz you can see a slight ball trail when following the ball..I can tend to get rid of this when playing with the temp settings and white levels. At 120hz simply put there is no trail. If you go with a plasma make sure it has an image cleaner, because plasma's have image rention...not sure if LCD's do, but if I were to compare my plasma to my 22" LCD for the PC...I would say no, and I watch just as many DVD's on the PC as I do on the plasma.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #36
Atmosphere
GL Member

Atmosphere is on a distinguished road
Plasmas are a lot better about burn in than they used to be, it's practically non-existent in the newer models. That's the route I'm planning on going for my next TV.

Also, consider when you will be using the TV/monitor. LCDs show up very well during the day, but some plasmas can be superior in low-light situations. I tend to watch TV/etc after work and school, which is why I'm leaning more towards plasma. That and the excellent contrast ratio.

Make sure you consider the finish too; matte is far better for rooms with a lot of direct lighting, but glossy may be a bit more vibrant when there's less light to bounce around.

Oh, and go for 120 Hz if possible. Not super important, but if you'll be watching fast-paced content you'll see a difference. Most companies are transitioning to it anyways.

Last edited by Atmosphere : 10-11-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Atmosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:01 AM   #37
Cliff8928

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Has anyone ever watched sports at 60hz and 120hz....I look at tennis and one difference I see is that at 60hz you can see a slight ball trail when following the ball..I can tend to get rid of this when playing with the temp settings and white levels. At 120hz simply put there is no trail.

That's probably primarily because of an improvement in the response time of the LCD panel. In all reality, if you're watching something that is broadcast at 30FPS, then 60 or 120Hz won't make a difference.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:31 AM   #38
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
That's probably primarily because of an improvement in the response time of the LCD panel. In all reality, if you're watching something that is broadcast at 30FPS, then 60 or 120Hz won't make a difference.
I'm not talking about an LCD although the FPS are the same, I'm refering to a plasma TV, and there is a big difference between the two. I mean the difference of seeing a ball trail and not is a big deal to me.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #39
Cliff8928

Yeah, but the only difference between 60Hz and 120Hz is that the picture is either repeated 3 times per second or 6.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #40
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff8928 View Post
Yeah, but the only difference between 60Hz and 120Hz is that the picture is either repeated 3 times per second or 6.
Exactly...thats the whole point!