Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Product Reviews

Old 11-18-2003, 10:13 PM   #1
Grouch

Quote:
Originally posted by "The Old Guy"+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("The Old Guy")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I've been working with Pro M Racing for quite a while on trying to get a MAF Sensor to work properly with the 3400. I had purchased one from Muscle Motors and although it felt as though it was working properly,Â;-) sometimes we just want things to improve the performance so bad we "feel" the gains without them actually being there. For anyone who doesn't know, Pro M is the company that Granatelli was using to calibrate their MAFs before the two companies had a falling out.

http://www.pro-flow.com/General%20Motors/GM.htm

After I had made several runs at the track I noticed my car was floating at about 5K RPM and my 1000' marks seemed slow so I went back to the stock MAF. I was consistently running .2 secs faster with the same 1/8th miles times using the stock MAF over the Pro M.

In discussing this with Pro M, they were kind enough to send me a MAF Calibrator in order to custom tune the MAF and then return it to them with the correct calibration numbers. I got it yesterday and I have to tell you that the calibrator is not for the novice tuner. You can adjust the no flow rate, idle, and WOT A/F ratios. One slight turn of the setting knob can make your car undrivable or unstartable. After getting it tuned by the seat of my pants and my ohm and A/F gauge the results were better than expected.

My SE has always been very "torque-ie" but the shift in torque to the lower RPM band was very noticeable. The engine idles as smoothly as if it wasn't running at all, and although it's very hard to be sure, I think I can "feel" a difference in the higher RPM gains as well.

So far I'm very impressed not only with the product, but also with Pro M as well. Their tech department has been ready to answer any questions I've had and everything has been shipped over night Fed Ex to my home. As far as the MAF calibrator, I see it as a must have if you are going to do major modifocations beyond a CAI to your intake system.

I'm not exactly sure where they stand at this point on shipping MAFs alone for the 3400 since they know that their model may not be quite right.

I'll probably be hitting the track today and hopefully the dyno in the next week or so.

We'll see how accurate my seat of the pants dyno really isÂ;-) [/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by "The Old Guy"+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("The Old Guy")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-"SC/ALERO"@
so are you still using the stock maf or are you back to the modified one?. do you still have the calibrator? how did it go this weekend any good improvements? i am really interested in this i think it would help out with the supercharger. i just e-mailed them asking their opinon.

I have the Pro M on the car now, but it seems as though the problems I was having with it straightened out with the new plugs and also from moving it right next to the throttle body. Without a MAF screen there was too much disruption in the flow for it to get a good reading.

I did make a few runs at the track Saturday and actually this is what made me move the MAF. I did it after I got home so I don't have any results from the track that really reflect what the Pro M MAF did or didn't do.

Now with the MAF in the bypass mode (which is the actual calibration of the MAF witout any adjustments) the car runs very smooth without any hot spots in acceleration. At an idle I'm running between lean and stoich, at 1500 RPM I'm at perfect stoich and at WOT it's rich, but not into the red at all.

As far as the calibrator goes, they have one that has more adjustments than this one. I think if I was going S/C I would probably opt to use that one instead and in talking with them it can be hooked up to a laptop and can be fed different models for different conditions.

Hopefully the weather will co-operate tomorrow night and I can get a few runs in and start tweaking this thing, but from what I'm feeling I think I have most of the bugs worked out of it.[/b][/quote]

<!--QuoteBegin-"The Old Guy"

For the guys that don't go to the GrandAmGT forum, this is an update of where things went with Pro M. I ended up going there on the way to GAP so they could do a dyno tune of the MAF for the 3.4. It went very well, but they didn't get to put the final calibrations in before I left. The MAF they did put in performed very well, but they needed my stock air box to get a true reading of the stock MAF since it's tuned to it instead of a CAI.

I received the MAF with the new calibration a few days ago and got it on the car Sat morning. The car started right up without any problem and idled smoothly right from the beginning which hasn't been the case on some of the earlier calibrations.

I did a 10 mile test run and was very pleased. Shifting is much firmer (anytime you disconnect the battery your shifts will become firmer for a while until the PCM adjusts) but in this case they are MUCH firmer. The torque is definately increased and the acceleration is constant with no dead spots or points where the car will surge.

The final test was on a hill that is about a 30% grade for about a half mile. Normally with the stock MAF the car will downshift if you set the cruise to 50 MPH fom 3rd down to 2nd. I ran the hill at constant 50 with no downshift at all. I made a second run at the same hill at 50 without the cruise keeping constant pressure on the accelerator pedal. Normally the car will slow to 35, but it didn't drop below about 42 for the entire grade.

I figure after about 200 miles the improvement will be more noticeable. Now I think the next natural step would be a ported throttle body and upper intake to take advantage of the increased air flow.

Overall now that the four month ordeal of trying to get a MAF that's properly calibrated is resolved I have to say that the final outcome was well worth the effort.

Here's a dyno chart of the stock MAF VS the one I got when I left them. This is not the final calibration, but you'll see the detonation that I was getting from the stock MAF.
[/quote]
Old 01-17-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
Alerosince99

Install was pretty easy. It was cold out so I popped the old one off and slipped both rubber couplers off to connect inside. The couplers work but you have to stretch them pretty good.

Performance wise I'm quite happy. I'm sure part of the improved performance was from disconnecting the battery. This is the first time I have done that for any of my mods. The PCM is still adjusting but the car is running so smooth and response has improved especially on the low end.

If you have a cai or any combination with it, other than a blower, I would definately suggest this. Price will be going up soon so the inherent value per $ may go down. I paid 249 for mine.