Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 11-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
alerogls001
GL Member

alerogls001 is on a distinguished road
Car won't stay running.

I can start it if I give it gas but dies as soon as I take my foot off the pedal. I replaced the starter a couple months ago and it's turning so I'm ruling out ignition too. Since it seems like it's getting fuel (fuel pump engages- although not sure about other fuel issues) I want to say it's the plugs. Any other ideas? I'm in a parking garage downtown so I'm gonna have to try to keep it going in traffic on the way home too.

MP Racing CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, and PCM. High flow CAT. KYB GR2 struts. Canuck Motorsport Springs. Cross drilled rotors. Stern ST18 17" rims.
alerogls001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
99alerogirl
Female.

99alerogirl will become famous soon enough
this is what ended up happening to my old sebring right before i traded her in for the ho... that was a bad distributor, but seeing as how the 3400 doesn't have a distributor i would take your ignition control module and your coils into an autozone... they'll be able to test them for you if they're not idiots. but before you do that you may want to inspect your plugs... that would be cheaper, but i doubt that's your only problem.

edit: is your SES light on?
99alerogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
alerogls001
GL Member

Nope my SES light isnt on. Started fine this morning and then started fine when I left a client earlier, then at lunch just wouldnt start. I may just get plugs on the way home cause at least thats something I can try quick. I dont know anything about ignition control modules or coils...

MP Racing CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, and PCM. High flow CAT. KYB GR2 struts. Canuck Motorsport Springs. Cross drilled rotors. Stern ST18 17" rims.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
99alerogirl
Female.

the coils are where the other side of the wires go to, right behind the engine in the back of the engine bay... and they ignition control module is right under them once you take them off. we have the equipment at autozone to test both, so if the plugs don't solve your problem then i would suggest getting both of those parts tested. they're not hard to take off either, i did it soooo haha
Old 11-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
alerogls001
GL Member

Lol ok- an thanks for the tips.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
alerogls001
GL Member

Sorry just as an afterthought, my car been throwing a code ever since I put the PCM in. Pretty sure its a crankshaft position code from what the mechanic said (i just had the LIM gasket replaced a week ago.) Could that be in the same ballpark or no?

Old 11-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
99alerogirl
Female.

i'd say if your crank sensor is bad then yeah... it may cause it to try and die.. it definitely wouldn't be good... i don't know much about that sensor though
Old 11-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
clutch1
GLS member

clutch1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clutch1
Fix the sensor.. those things seem finicky.

Then it's always best to check coils, wires, and plugs (I'd get s spark tester, make sure they're putting out a high enough voltage, then pull a couple plugs and see what they look like). Fuel pressure as well.

If your fuel and spark are there and working properly, assume that a sensor is out or something, causing the spark and fuel to not be delivered properly, despite those systems being capable.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
alerogls001
GL Member

Well my car just started without any help from the gas pedal. The sensor never threw a code before I put the PCM in. It did it the first time I started it with new PCM which made me think it was something in the tuning. Seems like Id still be more inclined to say it plugs or coils or ignition module... Ill just see what happens after this and go get that code verified.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
00WhiteAlero
GX Member

00WhiteAlero is on a distinguished road
Same thing was happening with the alero i bought but turns out the camshaft broke in half but i doubt thats what happened to yours
00WhiteAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
alerogls001
GL Member

not sure what a camshaft does exactly but that doesnt sound like it! lmao
strange thing is its starting fine now. still gotta find time to do those things though... ^^

Old 12-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #12
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
fixed? otherwise i would say the IAC might be sticking not letting in enough air to idle

follow the titans
brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #13
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
did you do the CKPS relearn when you got the PCM?

To have the following operation performed you must have access to Tech II or a high end Snap-on.. most mechanics will do this for free but some dealerships will charge up to $50 and will also try to reflash your PCM with stock code if they think you have a “tuned” replacement PCM so you have to tell them that you just had the crankcase position sensor replaced so you need the learn done (even if the CEL doesn’t turn on)… the following is an explanation of the procedure just so you can see if they are doing anything wrong or unneeded.

CKP System Variation Learn Procedure

Important
For additional diagnostic information, refer to DTC P1336 .
1. Install a scan tool.
2. With a scan tool, monitor the powertrain control module for DTCs. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P1336, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.
3. With a scan tool, select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure.
4. Observe the fuel cut-off for the engine that you are performing the learn procedure on.
5. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
o Block the drive wheels.
o Apply the vehicles parking brake.
o Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON.
o Apply and hold the brake pedal.
o Start and idle the engine.
o Turn OFF the A/C.
o Place the vehicle's automatic transmission in Park, or the manual transmission in Neutral.
o The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:
 CKP sensors activity--If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.
 Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity--If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.
 Engine coolant temperature (ECT)--If the ECT is not warm enough, idle the engine until the ECT reaches the correct temperature.
6. With the scan tool, enable the CKP system variation learn procedure.
Important
While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.
7. Slowly increase the engine speed to the RPM that you observed.
8. Immediately release the throttle when fuel cut-off is reached.
The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool does NOT display this message and no additional DTCs set, refer to Symptoms - Engine Mechanical . If a DTC set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #14
Ttop191
GLS member

Ttop191 will become famous soon enoughTtop191 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ttop191 Send a message via MSN to Ttop191
/\ longest reply of the month goes to....
Old 12-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttop191 View Post
/\ longest reply of the month goes to....

and it's all correct
Old 12-14-2009, 02:42 AM   #16
01silveralero
Aleromod's most pointless thread starter

01silveralero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99alerogirl View Post
this is what ended up happening to my old sebring right before i traded her in for the ho... that was a bad distributor, but seeing as how the 3400 doesn't have a distributor i would take your ignition control module and your coils into an autozone... they'll be able to test them for you if they're not idiots. but before you do that you may want to inspect your plugs... that would be cheaper, but i doubt that's your only problem.

edit: is your SES light on?

the 3400 does have something similiar to a distributor but at this late hour I can't think of the name of it right now.
New project 1992 460 big block ford notchback mustang
Goal - Mid 11s all motor.
01silveralero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #17
99alerogirl
Female.

the ignition control module and the coil packs serve as the distributor i thought.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #18
alerogls001
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Alero View Post
and it's all correct

Nope not fixed yet- been hella busy w work an crap. I was thinking Nate might be right... cause this all started when I changed the PCM and the engine light immediately came on. However, from what I've heard no one on here has done that procedure and havent had problems.... but thats just my luck. So any GM dealer should be able to do this? How will I know if they are flashing my PCM? And as far as the crankshaft position sensor (the code its throwing) I replaced it less than a year ago so Im having my doubts that it is the sensor itself.