Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 06-29-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
sburke
GL Member

sburke is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Fuel leak?????

Here's a stumper of a question for all of you..........

I removed the electrical connections to my fuel injectors, removed all my vac hoses, removed the ho manifold so that I could get to my starter easier.

Replaced the starter, reinstalled the manifold and vaccum hoses, and reinstalled the fuel injectors electrical connections.

Upon reconnecting the negative and positive battery cables, fuel started dripping out of the engine bay (from an as of yet undetermined location) and the car will not even turn over.

Does anyone have any idea what in the heck went wrong here?

I'm at the point now with all the stupid problems that I have had with this car that I just want to it, or sell it, any help would be appreciated.
sburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Don't get too frustrated... you can't exactly blame the car when you started messing with it.

As for the problem...

I would say go back thru them as you did when you reinstalled them. Check the manifold is secure and that all the electrical connections to the injectors are on the corresponding injector.
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Twiz
GX Member

Twiz is on a distinguished road
I'd check all electrical conections to the starter, take care of that first. Get it to crank the engine. Pull out the "Fuel Pump" fuse to avoid spilling more gas. Once the starter checks okay then take care of the fuel leak. You'll have to clean the side of the engine where the fuel was spilled. Reinsert the "fuel pump" fuse and turn the key to ON position not START. At this point you should be able to inspect and identify the leak point. Once this step is complete you'll have to clean up the spilled fuel again before you attempt to actually start your car. No engine running when you have fuel leaks or gas spilled inside the engine bay.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
that is exactly how i diagnosed my fuel leak. I didnt tighten down the fpr all the way.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
either you cracked a line or an injector came lose from the rail. the fpr could also be the problem
Old 06-30-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
whyd you take off all that to get to the starter, you should have just replaced the started like other normal people do

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:30 AM   #7
sburke
GL Member

thanks to everyone who provided constructive help, I'll take your advice and check it out
Old 06-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
check any fittings and o rings on inlet and return lines to the rail, make sure the injectors are seated properly and also did you check the o-rings on the injectors?

follow the titans
brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #9
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiz View Post
I'd check all electrical conections to the starter, take care of that first. Get it to crank the engine. Pull out the "Fuel Pump" fuse to avoid spilling more gas. Once the starter checks okay then take care of the fuel leak. You'll have to clean the side of the engine where the fuel was spilled. Reinsert the "fuel pump" fuse and turn the key to ON position not START. At this point you should be able to inspect and identify the leak point. Once this step is complete you'll have to clean up the spilled fuel again before you attempt to actually start your car. No engine running when you have fuel leaks or gas spilled inside the engine bay.

Amen, I could maybe add to use some brake cleaner to clean your engine.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:26 PM   #10
Ortz
GX Member

Ortz is an unknown quantity at this point
there's a lesson to be learned here,never take apart more than you have to.i guess he must have a 2.4 because on my 3.4 i just went from underneath and took it out,all i had to remove was a plastic cover.
Ortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
sburke
GL Member

The reason I took out all the other crap is to change the gasket on my intake manifold, which has a small leak in it and it was causing cylinder one to misfire. There was a reason for all of that work just so everyone knows since that is being focused on.

The leak is from cylinder two's injector at the fuel rail. I've got a haynes manual so I'm going to look into any info that can provide. If anyone has dealt with the injectors before and has any advice or tips I would appreciate it.

Also, if a injector is not on will that cause the engine to not turn over to protect itself? Otherwise I have a problem with the starter yet again. This is already the fourth starter I have had to replace. If anyone has any pictures of how the starter is wired up that they could share I would appreciate it. Maybe I've just done it so many times that I think I'm doing it right, but I really screwed it up just because I'm worried about something else. Anyway, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by sburke : 07-01-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
sburke
GL Member

Any ideas?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #13
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
What does it do when you try to crank it? Can you hear the starter solenoid ingauge? You said you got the Hanynes manual, did you try all the steps in chapter 5-12?
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #14
sburke
GL Member

It doesn't crank, I'm trying to get clarification on another issue, once I get that and I'm sure I've done that part right, I'll start another thread adressing the fuel issue, thank you everyone for your help though.