Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 04-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
crg955
GX Member

crg955 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Starting trouble

Here is whats going on. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

1999 Alero 113k 3400 GLS

Red Battery Light was coming on and going off for about 2 days, when today I was driving and the all the lights in the car went dim, Anti-lock brake light came on, then passenger seat belt light, lots of lights came on, then cd player spit cd back at me. I came to a redlight, turned the car off and tried to restart it. I wouldnt restart. Now it will click, click, click but nothing else happens.. Battery is brand new less than 30 days old.
*side note*
I try to charge my cell phone using the cig lighter and it charges and stops charges and stops light the current if fluxuating.

What could be the problem here?
Cpu? Electrical? Alternator.

What could be the cost range?

Thanks!

~Gibb
crg955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Alternator, $100.99 at Autozone for the 3400. It's a pretty easy DIY

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
crg955
GX Member

crg955 is on a distinguished road
How certain are you reddog that its the alternator and your reasoning for thinking its that? I really dont want to run out and replace it and still have to take it to the garage tomorrow. however I would prefer to do it that way.
crg955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

YALEROYNOT is on a distinguished road
go to auto zone they can tested your alt for free and if it is that your there buy one.

build it to break it, if it breaks it was not built well enuff !
=OFF ALL NARCOTICS ADDICTION FREE PAIN MANAGEMENT FTMFW ."million of years ago the continents were connected...." THATS FUNNY THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD AND THEY STILL ARE CONNECTED JACK*@# !!! click here www.chronicpainanonymous.org
YALEROYNOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #5
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
i'm also 99% sure that its your alternator. you can go to autozone and they'll check it for you. When your battery light comes on, that means there's a problem with your charging system (alternator). When the alternator dies, the car is running solely off the battery and if the battery gets low enough, everything goes crazy. If you hadn't shut your car off, it would've eventually quit on its own as the electric current needed to run fuel injectors, sensors, and the cpu would've dropped below the acceptable level.

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
SIUlero
GL Member

SIUlero is on a distinguished road
another vote for the alternator...get your battery charged up over night and you should have enough juice to get you to autozone. they will probably still need to top it off when you get there, for an accurate test, so make sure you've got at least an hour to spare.

or if you have another way to get there, take the alternator off the car and they can test it in the store...you'll still need to charge the battery, so bring it with you and they will charge it for free.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/CrazyOldsGuy
SIUlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Start your car if you have a digital multimeter set it to measure dc, and put it across the batery red to positive and black to negative. If it reads around 14v then alternator is good, and battery is bad. Is the battery the original? Also if you read something well above 14 then it could still mean the alternator is bad. Really quick test to see where you stand!
Old 04-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #8
JCHT79
GX Member

JCHT79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to JCHT79
I had this same problem about a year and a half ago. It's definetly the alternator. As lonnie recommends checking the current to see if the Alt is good drawing about 14V. If you're trying to save money and you've got the tools then DIY. You'll most likely find remanfactured Alts for purchase from Autozone and the like.

1999 Auburn Mist Sedan
No Extras!
JCHT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
agree with the alternator going bad because of it happening soo suddenly..
get it checked
Old 05-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
etan1987
GX Member

etan1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to etan1987
I have been having similar problems as this. My car died in a gas parking lot tonight. i just got the battery replaced in Feburary cause it was shot. For about the past two weeks it would take a couple of times to get it to turn all the way over and start. Also when it would start it would rev to about 2500rpms then slowly go back down, and it normally would not go that high up. We got it started up again and then like the ding bat I am shut it off for some reason, and has yet to restart. I know I know turning it off was a BAD BAD idea I get that do not push that issue. Please if someone could give me some advise that would be fantastic.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #11
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg955 View Post
How certain are you reddog that its the alternator and your reasoning for thinking its that? I really dont want to run out and replace it and still have to take it to the garage tomorrow. however I would prefer to do it that way.

Very certain and my reasoning is becuase my car did the same exact thing

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #12
CharleyO99Alero
GL Member

CharleyO99Alero is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem back in January this year. Had it tested at AAP and it was the battery that was bad.

Do yourself a favor and have the charging system tested first.

CharleyO99Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #13
etan1987
GX Member

I would get the charging system checked but still as of this morning it is sitting dead in a parking lot. I also have system in my trunk would it be possible that i need a capasitor?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by etan1987 View Post
I would get the charging system checked but still as of this morning it is sitting dead in a parking lot. I also have system in my trunk would it be possible that i need a capasitor?
A capacitor isn't going to help you if you have killed the battery. The capacitor is suppose to help cover the dipps in voltage when your system hits hard. I would take the battery out now and go to autozone or someplace like that and get it charged. Put it back in the car and see if it will start. If it doesn't then you have a bigger issue. If it does then get your charging system tested..one quick way is to see if you have 14volts across the post with a DMM...if so then you could be ok, but ultimately you are going to have let a shop truly test it.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
etan1987
GX Member

all fixed tightened the battery wires recharged it and off I went.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #16
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
of course if you recharged the battery it started right away, but if your alternator is bad, the car will eventually die again.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
elpuas3000
GX Member

elpuas3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
alternador at least $300 with instalation
elpuas3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #18
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
Quote:
Originally Posted by etan1987 View Post
all fixed tightened the battery wires recharged it and off I went.

haha that's sweet

although were the battery cables completely loose? we all retighten them after we take the battery out and put it back in

get a multimeter and check the system charge, if your light's back on soon you'll know you have a shot alternator

god speed chief

follow the titans
brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #19
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuas3000 View Post
alternador at least $300 with instalation

At least on the 3400, it's easy enough for a DIY.

Never worked on the 2.4 or 2.2, but it looks easy on the 2.4 from what I've seen

Top of the line stock for the 3400 is $160.99 and an hour of your time

www.facebook.com/kb0177
Old 05-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #20
etan1987
GX Member

the altenator on the 2.2 is buried my roomate and I checked into it. When I go home after school is out I am going to talk to my mech back home.