Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 03-22-2004, 05:40 AM   #1
scotttherock

since i have tons of windex in my house and its used for multiple tasks...can it be used to clean chrome rims ? or is it bad/unhealthy to use on chrome rims? or is it just best to goto a local car wash and get some chrome cleaner made for rims? just tryin 2 save some extra cash since i have tons of windex in the house <_<
Old 03-22-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
AlbinoMonkeyRat
Let's Play Army!

AlbinoMonkeyRat is on a distinguished road
only in moderation. windex can stain chrome (looking like waterspots). Chrome cleaner would be better. (might as well get the stuff that's made for the job that you're doing)
RIP to my Alero @ 112000 miles. COD: thrown rod. TOD: 430pm, Dec19, 2011.
AlbinoMonkeyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Oldsman
chrome cleaner is the best.

if you can find dupont #7 chrome polish get that if not turtle works just as good.

chrome polish polishs and cleans the chrome.

I would never use windex on chrome.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:53 AM   #4
Green Eyed Monster

Myth busters...Coke and aluminum foil...LOL...It looked better then the chrome polish they used....
Old 03-22-2004, 12:05 PM   #5
jonez

/\
That was on a piece of poop bumper, not a nice set of rims. If you want to be the one to try it go ahead. Not me.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:05 PM   #6
jonez

/\
That was on a piece of poop bumper, not a nice set of rims. If you want to be the one to try it go ahead. Not me.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
aluminum foil actually does work..i use ti all the time...
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:10 PM   #8
jonez

/\
With coke or some ohter product. Just don't sound right. Sounds like it would damage them
Old 03-22-2004, 12:54 PM   #9
`2000redalero

I wouldn't worry about the coke but the aluminum foil would scare me if I scratched em.

wonder if steel wool would work?
^joking(wouldn't recommend it)
Old 03-22-2004, 12:58 PM   #10
Oldsman
Owner

Oldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond reputeOldsman has a reputation beyond repute
coke on chrome rims is like a dog pissing on them. too much acid. doesn't hurt chrome as much as alum but still not good.

alum foil on chrome rims????? what you smoking?

chrome plating is only so thick. using abrasive and harsh items on chrome will only either end up scratching them or start wearing the chrome thin and then it doesn't last.

Using a good chrome polish and taking care of chrome they will last for over 25 years.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:36 PM   #11
Green Eyed Monster

Just passing some info....I thought it was crazy , but it looked better ..lol...
Old 03-22-2004, 02:14 PM   #12
Crazy_Canuck

Don't laugh, but toothpaste works AWESOME on chrome. It's also good from some types of jewellery.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:00 PM   #13
Silentalero
Kitteh is back!!!!

Silentalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Silentalero Send a message via AIM to Silentalero Send a message via MSN to Silentalero Send a message via Yahoo to Silentalero
aluminum foil on chrome rims will work becasue its the softest metal material that wont damage chrome.
Silentalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 03:06 PM   #14
jonez

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy_Canuck@Mar 22 2004, 07:14 PM
Don't laugh, but toothpaste works AWESOME on chrome. It's also good from some types of jewellery.
Also good on white viynl.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:38 AM   #15
'04 aler-ho

windex will work. just make sure your wheels are nice and cool befor eyou do it though. even the finest steel wool will scratch the chrome. toothpaste does wonders on silver. it also works if you're renting a house and leave lots of nail/staple holes in the walls. also another polisher is cigarette ashes and water
Old 03-23-2004, 02:52 AM   #16
99blackalero

windex shines like a mofo...what i did was polish the rims first with chrome polish, then when thehyre all dry, i would take a soft cloth or bounty towel paper and spray on cloth/towel paper then wipe the rims....soooo shiny
Old 03-23-2004, 03:01 AM   #17
Oldsman
Owner

no streaks either, huh?

i'll stick with what has worked for years.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:37 AM   #18
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
wax?
Old 03-23-2004, 03:36 PM   #19
'04 aler-ho

maybe when you're done with the windex
Old 03-23-2004, 04:21 PM   #20
misslindseysue

I clean my chrome bathroom fixtures with Windex and they're shiny.