Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 01-26-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
mgreen808

mgreen808 is an unknown quantity at this point
My trunk won't open unless i use the key for it...that sucks issed: anyone know how to fix this problem? it's not the switch, because i can hear the relay when i press the trunk button.
mgreen808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
your trunk safety lock switch is probably on.........
Old 01-26-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
Sundayalero
GL Member

Sundayalero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by 99Alero_Boy@Jan 26 2005, 03:57 PM
your trunk safety lock switch is probably on.........
Right. When you open the trunkm, look underneath where the latch is. There is a red switch.
<span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'>Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only real cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas. Just roll the roof back and screw it on, grease the face with white tanning butter and move out with the music at top volume, and at least a pint of ether.
-From the book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson </span>
Sundayalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
did you guys not read his whole post? he said its not the switch. i know sometimes my trunk gets stuck cause the weather stripping but thats after it pops.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
MikeSS
V.I.P. Member

MikeSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Get rear-ended by a mail truck....that will open the trunk right up!

NOTE - trunk may never close again.
1996 Camaro Y87 - Gone
2003 Alero 2.2L GX 5-Spd - 15.21 @ 88.21 - Gone
MikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
Nik1128

The switch only works when the car is locked (and then only the key FOB will open the trunk). If the car isn't locked then the trunk release button inside the car works.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:30 PM   #7
Sundayalero
GL Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jackal2000@Jan 26 2005, 05:26 PM
did you guys not read his whole post? he said its not the switch. i know sometimes my trunk gets stuck cause the weather stripping but thats after it pops.
Hmmm, I thought he meant it is not a bad relay switch. I know that when I have my lock-out switch on lock, and I push the open button, I hear the noise he describes..... Hmmmph. <_<
<span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'>Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only real cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas. Just roll the roof back and screw it on, grease the face with white tanning butter and move out with the music at top volume, and at least a pint of ether.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by jackal2000@Jan 26 2005, 04:26 PM
yes i read his whole post, i am assuming he is referring to either a keyless fob "switch" or the button "switch" on the door panel................he can hear the trunk try to open when he pushed either of these "switches" but it doesn't open............in that case the trunk lock "switch" is in the locked postion........

either way his using the word switch has made this situation somewhat confusing.......
Old 01-26-2005, 06:33 PM   #9
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally posted by 99Alero_Boy@Jan 26 2005, 06:32 PM
either way his using the word switch has made this situation somewhat confusing.......
agreed. looks like we need some clarification.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:39 PM   #10
Sundayalero
GL Member

Yeah, where did he go?
Old 01-26-2005, 08:09 PM   #11
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
with the lock out turned on, itll still make the release noise. Chances are the lock out switch is in the lock position
Old 01-26-2005, 10:10 PM   #12
Youngblood77
V.I.P. Member

Youngblood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
If he "hears" something working, it sounds as though the selenoid is working, or at least trying. The trunk safety latch may be keeping the trunk from opening, but another possability is the selenoid may not be moving far enough to effectively "un-hook" the latch due to the cold climate and/or lack of lubrication.

I'd do 2 things: a) make sure the safety latch is allowing said action to take place, and

B) Spray some white lithium grease ( found @ any auto parts store, it's also good foor door & trunk hinges that squeak ) on the exposed part of the selenoid plunger, then activate it over and over drawing the lubricant into the cylinder. This will ensure that it STAYS working, too. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps.

Your car must be fast, you were haulin' ass when I passed you in my 4-door Buick.

Youngblood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:18 PM   #13
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
Could be the flux capacitor

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:28 AM   #14
mgreen808

mgreen808 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, just for clarification, when i hit the button on the door, i can hear the relay on the inside...nothing from he trunk. when i hit the fob when the trunk is open, nothing happens...it should click the solenoid, right? And where exactly should the red button be? someone's been playin with it i think
mgreen808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:26 AM   #15
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
its right by your latch on the lid. Says something like lock out on-off
it should be on off, if you want the button/fob to open it
Old 06-22-2005, 12:51 AM   #16
Mystickal

Thank you. My trunk release stopped working 3 days ago - I could hear the solenoid click, both when I pressed the FOB and when I pressed the button on the driver's door, but the trunk stayed closed, opening only with the key. I looked at the release, and the solenoid seemed to be operating fine, I couldn't figure out what was wrong - didn't see the "lock" switch on the other side of the latch - fixed the problem real easy.

Much better than spending $50 at the dealer. Thanks again.

~Bill
Old 06-22-2005, 12:55 AM   #17
pawzbear
The Original Thread Whore

pawzbear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pawzbear
Quote:
Originally posted by AGT@Jan 26 2005, 11:18 PM
Could be the flux capacitor

yep, that was my diagnosis
Old 07-29-2005, 12:19 AM   #18
speedbug

Thanks for asking this question!! I'm new here and I've had this problem as well, and I never saw the red switch saved me some cash as well!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #19
daferns

hey everyone i seem to have a rather big problem, my trunk isnt opening with remote or button on the inside, can anyone offer suggestions? i cant get into my trunk!!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:58 PM   #20
Oldsmopimp

Quote:
Originally posted by daferns@Sep 5 2005, 04:54 PM
hey everyone i seem to have a rather big problem, my trunk isnt opening with remote or button on the inside, can anyone offer suggestions? i cant get into my trunk!!

sure! ...Use the key.