Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 12-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
Need some guru help on this before I drive myself nuts, maybe I just need a little clarification, even though I feel like I've done this one too many times.

I listen to a little bit of everything and need a good sub and amp package.

I'm still not sure what's worth going for, 2 10's or 2 12's or a single 12 or what on this one. I'm for some reason hellbent on 2 10's.

I've looked into amps

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1072286177806

http://store.yahoo.com/csexpo/p3rofopumoch.html

but I'm still not too sure on the conversions, if a dual channel is better for subs than the mono. If a mono is better for 2 subs or a 2 channel is.

Also the conversion rates of ohms and what subs are decent, mostly I see a lot of 250-300 rms on MTX audio, and there's a set of Audiobahn on sale, 450rms a piece

mostly the subs are from 50-80

and the amps in my range 170-240 or so

I can't figure out the combo, Mono are not bridgeable I'm correct, but a dual can hold more sub combinations at higher RMS ratings?

I'm not sure, if anyone can give me the best idea for a setup and products I'd like to know. As it stand right now I'm considering the Rockford/Audiobahn setup

Still not sure what will sound best, and what wiring combination would work correctly

follow the titans
brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
I like subs, subs go boom.

Thats about the extent of my knowledge. Yeah I do have a kickass system but I had a wiring diagram for wiring the subs and a expert telling me the best way to do it.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:48 AM   #3
kampfer422

ok, well for starts a mono amp is typically used for subs. The are usually Class D and have higher power ratings and the EQ/crossover is setup on a low pass filter. The amp you are looking at isn't too much and will not run too much to any sub or subs you get. You are getting a whole whapping 300RMS at 2ohm. Not a whole lot. If i were you i'd spend my money on a Hifonics bx1000d or TX and a Dayton 12in sub. Depending on your budget i guess will determine what you are looking at and the results that you can achieve.
o and Abahn sucks don't eve waste your money. If you want something that cheap get some kick comps.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:49 AM   #4
AleroHawk
GX Member

AleroHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AleroHawk
The general rule is to match the sub rms rating with the amp rms rating. But pay attention to what Ohms the bridges power rating is on the amps. Most 2 channel amps usually say "2 Ohm stereo stable" and bridgeable into 4 ohms. Meaning that you can hook up a 2 ohm sub (no less than 2 ohm though) into each output on the amp with no trouble. The 4ohm bridged means that you hook up one sub at no less than 4 ohms (or a combination of subs that equate to no less than 4 ohms) across the two outputs with no trouble. So basically, first figure out how many of which subs you want and how you want them set up, then pick your amp to match that setup. Or vise-versa. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

"If at first you don't succeed, cheat."
AleroHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
brim
GLS member

brim is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brim
For Hifonics, something similar to http://store.yahoo.com/csexpo/txhiticlmoch.html

So if I get two 4ohm subs and run them in parallel into a mono amp it's should return 2ohms if I'm right on that?

the 2 ohm rating on hifonics is 700 watts. So the 700watt rms would then be split, and say, if it were two 350 watt rms speakers that would provide an even load?

where's mikegett, he makes it sound simple hehe

I can find some amps that can run 4ohms in (high) wattage rms

http://store.yahoo.com/csexpo/kakemoam8wam.html

but i assume the mono would be best for a single or dual sub anyhow. One thing I don't get is how 1-2ohm amps can run a single 12 inch 4 ohm sub

follow the titans
brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

wrightie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
this stumped me when i got started and im still kind of lost. If you go to the JL website and go to the tutorials section you will find the different wiring configurations that will give you different ohm loads. hope this helps.

Wrightie
wrightie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:06 AM   #7
kampfer422

wiring in series increase the ohm load, ie dual 2ohm wired in series gives a 4ohm load.

wiring in parallel decreases the load, ie dual 2ohm wired in parallel gives a 1ohm load.

look here Subwoofer wiring guide.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:44 PM   #8
wrightie
V.I.P. Member

wrightie has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Yah what he said ^
wrightie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #9
Str33tRacer

Mono is for subs. Channels are for speakers. Enough Said
Old 12-05-2005, 10:48 PM   #10
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Step back from it a minute. You are making it seem more complicated than it is. kampfer422 had a good link but my preferance is JL audios tutorial page. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=126
Don't feel bad about going to there wiring page. I still use it alot. I strongly suggest reding the faq's and questions.

but i assume the mono would be best for a single or dual sub anyhow. One thing I don't get is how 1-2ohm amps can run a single 12 inch 4 ohm sub
[/quote]

Amps do not have a ohm. The sub or speaker used will present the amp with a ohm rating. The ohm is the Standard International (SI) unit of electrical resistance. Meaning that at one electrical watt a 4 ohm sub has a resistance of 4 ohms. The problem is that the lower ohms mean more resistance which mean more heat. This is why amps are rated for ohms. They will only be able to support a sub or speaker down to there lowest ohm rating. The trick is to manipulate the resistance the amp is seeing. By placing the sub or speaker in series or parallel, the resistance can be lowered or raised to suit the application. Many manufacturers produce the same sub in multiple ohms. This means that it is easier to purchase the amp and match the sub to it. Just look for what is in your price range and find the one that will produce the most wattage for you. In all honesty, I would try to save the money and place it toward a quality amp. The Hifonics is pretty good for the price, but they are still pretty poor class D amps. Until recently, class D was too messy for anything other than a sub. If you do get a class D then try to find one with the best Damping Factor possible. Both, your sub and your amp will have damping factor (think of it as the ability to control the cone). The higher the damping factor, the better the cone can be controlled. With poor control, distortion and evetual damage can result. On a class A/B amp, anything over 200 is going to be great. However, a good class D amp will have a damping factor over 500. A great amp will be near a 1000.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote