Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 07-22-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
nydirtwheeler89

crazyy problems help fast!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wats up i just hooked up a 4 channel amp right and when its on acc it fine and works great. But then you start the car there is a winding and gets louder when you acclerate. What could this be i think it could be interfearing with my fuel pump. I ran the rca the opposite side of power and checked my ground wat elso could it be.I NEED QUICK HELP ANY SUGGESTIONS????????
Old 07-23-2006, 12:02 AM   #2
acold7dusta

sounds like an alternater whine. how many volts does your car run at? You might need to upgrade your electrical system if its weak.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
djskunkdiesel

I had this same thing before. either the RCA or the Amp Turn on is touching ground somewhere in between the head unit and the amp. I ended up having to re run all the cables on mine
Old 07-23-2006, 12:15 AM   #4
nydirtwheeler89

cant be the altnator i went outside and unpluged and started the car still had the winding noise. i thinks it my fuel pump i gotta figure this out
Old 07-23-2006, 12:41 AM   #5
AleroHawk
GX Member

AleroHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AleroHawk
Sounds like a simple ground loop. If you don't want to mess around with the wiring to fix the grounds, just buy a "ground loop isolator". About $10 or so +/-. It's just a little box that has RCA jacks on each side. Plug up the RCAs from your headunit into onse side, and then plug the other side to the amp. Worked like a charm in my old car.

"If at first you don't succeed, cheat."
AleroHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
The easiest manor to fix it is the ground loop isolater as stated. However, be carefull on what one you purchase. I never purchase the poor quality components sold at Radio S. A altenator whine or ground loop is not caused by a failing altenator. There are two primary causes. One is due to having a electrical componant grouded in two seperate locations. When electrical devices ground between those two points they can induce electrical whine. The other cause is due to your cars electrical system. Primarily the spark plugs. These can be replaced with Shielded spark plug cables or noise suppressor caps for the plugs. The key is finding which problem you have. The ground loop isolater won't help if it is your spark plugs. Just as your spark plugs won't help if it is due to your amp ground. I had a 2003 alero, so I can't guarantee what your cars electrical was composed of. I do know that I had a ground loop from my Line Out converter used on the aftermarket amp. If you use a Line Out Converter, ground it at the same location as your new amp. See if your problem goes away. If not, try a ground loop isolater on your RCA at the amp.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
jayson_waltz
GLS member

jayson_waltz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jayson_waltz
try installing a ground loop isolator.
jayson_waltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:05 AM   #8
an02oldsalero

If the sound is present even with the headunit off but the amp ON, then try unplugging the RCA cables first at the amp. If the sound goes away, its a problem with something before the RCA cable. Next, unplug the RCA cable from the headunit. If the sound goes away then, then its definately a problem with the RCA cable, probably a bad wire or its shorting out somewhere. If that doesn't solve the whining, just keep working backward till you find the problem.