Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 10-22-2004, 10:14 AM   #1
Johnny5

Johnny5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just wondering if there is anyway to install a remote starter in a 2001 Alero with 5 speed tranny. The car has to be in reverse to take the key out but when using remote start in a manual, it has to be in neutral when you take the key out...
Any way around this?
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #2
Cyber Knight
Swank

Cyber Knight is an unknown quantity at this point
There's an easy way to override that, some little cable under the shifter that you can unhook so you can pull the key out without it being in reverse (somebody correct me on this one). One thing I've always wondered is if you park on a slope and your e-brake is NFG, can you use a remote starter?
Old 10-22-2004, 11:09 AM   #3
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
You can do it, just disable the reverse thing for the key, bypass the clutch switch, and be DAMN sure your ebrake is tighter then a nuns you know what.
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:15 AM   #4
Cyber Knight
Swank

Cyber Knight is an unknown quantity at this point
^Heh, I'll take that as a no to my question
Old 10-22-2004, 12:25 PM   #5
b-spot
GLS member

b-spot is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber Knight@Oct 22 2004, 09:05 AM
There's an easy way to override that, some little cable under the shifter that you can unhook so you can pull the key out without it being in reverse (somebody correct me on this one). One thing I've always wondered is if you park on a slope and your e-brake is NFG, can you use a remote starter?
Yes, probably because I told you about this

Disabling the revers is really easy. Pop off the trim around the shifter, look for the orange plastic piece with the cable attached to it. Give the cable some slack so you can disconnect it, but the switch in the proper position, and you are done.
Originally Posted by StockAlero00 @ Jul 1 2005, 11:15 PM
If I did went to college...

b-spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:23 PM   #6
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Go to Circiut city have them do it. That is the easiest way to do it.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 09:21 PM   #7
Illarin

Might be a little tough to find a place to install it.. alot of places around here won't do remote start on a 5speed because of the risks.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:30 PM   #8
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

There is a company where I live called Yipes Stripes and they do it they even advertise they do it.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:38 PM   #9
Arsonalero

yes it can be done but you DONT want to do it!!!! your car could easily be stolen. I have it on my auto and if i dont put the key in and turn it to the on postion and i hit the brake to take it out of park it will shut off..... so if you leave you car in neutral all someone has to do is put it in 1st and go, they dont have to hit the brake...... you know?!?!?
Old 10-22-2004, 09:43 PM   #10
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Quote:
Originally posted by Arsonalero@Oct 22 2004, 07:38 PM
yes it can be done but you DONT want to do it!!!! your car could easily be stolen. I have it on my auto and if i dont put the key in and turn it to the on postion and i hit the brake to take it out of park it will shut off..... so if you leave you car in neutral all someone has to do is put it in 1st and go, they dont have to hit the brake...... you know?!?!?
Thats all well and good, but the first time they press the brake the car is gonna shut off. So they get maybe, 300 feet at the most?
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 08:03 PM   #11
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Iam sure there is probably a sensor on the unit or car that makes it so that if the key is not on then if you try to move the car shuts off.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:00 AM   #12
1WhiteOSV

Quote:
Originally posted by VTOLDS@Oct 22 2004, 05:23 PM
Go to Circiut city have them do it. That is the easiest way to do it.
Anywhere in ILLINOIS will NOT do it because it's illegal to put remote start on a manual transmission. I am an installer at Best Buy and I have people asking me to do it ALL the time but I can't cuz it's illegal.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:26 PM   #13
gxryan

LOL thats crazy

illegal? wow thats wild lol
B) Cheers to living in canada were u can do w/e u want like that lol

but i guess it's probly best not to have command start on a standard cause it probly would be fairly easy to steal.

Ohwell.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:27 PM   #14
Johnny5

Johnny5 is an unknown quantity at this point
From what I understand, there is a type of remote starter that will only work if the car is in neutral. Someone at my office had one on her car which was a 5 spd. To use it, she had to put the car in neutral, set the parking brake, press the button on the remote, take out the key, get out, and press the button again to shut the car off.
I'm not really concerned about my car being stolen. It will be in my driveway or right ouside my office when it's being used. I don't live or work in "Da Hood" or anything and besides, the doors will be locked. And of course, it's insured!
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:42 AM   #15
Super White Alero

wow I was really late to this thread. YEs it can be done, but you don't want to and not because of theft. If you like to me you have to remember to disable the reverse, or else make sure your e-brake is really good. Your steering wheel won't turn without a key so unless they can disable the lock they won't go far.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:08 AM   #16
blackout

Yes it can be done. There is a sensor i know that you can buy at radio shack that can tell if your 5 speed car is in gear, if in gear the remote starter wont work. I know this because my friend had one installed on his car. I dont know what the part is called anymore but it is easier then bypassing a bunch of stuff.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:41 AM   #17
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
Quote:
Originally posted by Super White Alero@Nov 9 2004, 05:42 AM
Your steering wheel won't turn without a key so unless they can disable the lock they won't go far.
Alero's, 99-05 Grand Am's, and Malibu's don't have a steering wheel lock.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:26 AM   #18
1WhiteOSV

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny5@Nov 5 2004, 01:27 AM
From what I understand, there is a type of remote starter that will only work if the car is in neutral. Someone at my office had one on her car which was a 5 spd. To use it, she had to put the car in neutral, set the parking brake, press the button on the remote, take out the key, get out, and press the button again to shut the car off.
I'm not really concerned about my car being stolen. It will be in my driveway or right ouside my office when it's being used. I don't live or work in "Da Hood" or anything and besides, the doors will be locked. And of course, it's insured!
is a remote start REALLY worth all that crap you gotta do just to turn the car off? lol..IMO, just walk your ass outside and start your car and walk back in!! it isn't "too cold :wah: "