Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 12-31-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
DaRockwilder
GL Member

DaRockwilder is on a distinguished road
Fuel pump?

Hey!

My '03 Alero with a 2.2 Ecotec won't start. I was driving along and I lost all power. It was still running, I just couldn't accelerate, so I pulled off the road, and when slowed down, the car started to sputter, and when I finally stopped, it died completely. I tried to start the car again, and it would start, make it to idle, and then idle rough, and then stall. I continued trying to start it, with the same results. I called a tow truck, got it to my work so I could work on it, and then I got a ride home. Went back later, still wouldn't start, only this time, It wouldn't even fire. Spun over fine, but thats all I got.

So, I pulled the cap off the schrader (sp) valve on the fuel line, and pressed the little valve in, and no fuel came out. I did the same thing earlier when I was pulled over and I did get fuel out of it. But not anymore. I can't hear any noise coming from the fuel pump. Usually I can hear it when I turn the key. I folded the rear seats down, and tried many times, and still didn't hear a sound from the fuel pump.

I tried swapping the relay with a known good one from somewhere else in the box. Still nothing.

Given all of the above, I think its the fuel pump. I already bought the pump seeing as tomorrow is new years day, and everything will be closed. But I thought I would just double check with you guys that the fuel pump would be the most likely problem.

I bought a filter. Didn't change it. I couldn't see the filter preventing the car from starting. It might run like shit, but something catastrohic would have had to happen inside there and I don't think thats the case. Especially since the problem came up so suddenly.

I was having a low speed shudder issue, which might be related to this. I'd put it into gear and the rpm would rise and fall a few times quickly. Same thing would happen if I turned the fan on in traffic. Might be from a weak fuel pump.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think! I've got the pump, just need to swap it, unless you guys think I should diagnose it further.

Thanks!
DaRockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #2
DaRockwilder
GL Member

DaRockwilder is on a distinguished road
Swapped the pump and filter out this morning. Problem solved!
DaRockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote