Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 10-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
crap on paint

well, it's been raining every day for the past week or so, and I noticed this crap on my paint that didn't look like dirt. And oddly, it was only on the right side of the car... On friday, I went to the car wash assuming it would come off... and absolutely none of it came off. So today I decide to try and get it off by hand. It took about an hour and I got a lot of it off, but theres still a lot of it on. Anybody know a way to get the rest of this stuff off? or even what it is so I can avoid getting it on there again.

heres some pictures

I had gotten a lot of it off before I took em then, I got a little more of i off but theres still some very stubborn dark spots that I can't get off.

and it's on the wheels... but oddly only the right ones... seems easier to get off of those though

It actually looks worse than the pictures...

but yeah, any suggestions on how to get the rest off?

and more importantly, preventing it from happening again
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Use #000 Fine Steel Wool with light pressure and it will come off.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
YALEROYNOT
GLS member

YALEROYNOT is on a distinguished road
wd-40 works wonders for bugs and tar. might work for that crap to

build it to break it, if it breaks it was not built well enuff !
=OFF ALL NARCOTICS ADDICTION FREE PAIN MANAGEMENT FTMFW ."million of years ago the continents were connected...." THATS FUNNY THE EARTH IS ONLY ABOUT 6000 YEARS OLD AND THEY STILL ARE CONNECTED JACK*@# !!! click here www.chronicpainanonymous.org
YALEROYNOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
TheEdgeofSanity
GLS member

TheEdgeofSanity is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TheEdgeofSanity
goo- gone

TheEdgeofSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
thanks guys, i'm done for now though

I've spent like 2 hours scrubbin the stuff, I've gotten a lot of it off but theres still a lot on my back wheel, and around the back of the car.

I'll try the wd40 and goo gone later on this week when I get the chance

Anybody have any idea what the heck the stuff is?

and from now on, if anything gets on the car, i'm washing it that same day

if the goo gone/wd40 (i'm pretty hesitant to put steel wool on a car, unless you were talking about the wheels) don't work, i'm gonna take it to a detailing shop or something and see what they can do. hopefully they won't try and charge an arm and a leg... but they will
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #6
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I can understand that I thought the same thing too, but I use it alot and I haven't had any problems at all. I know the first thing you think is it will scratch the paint, but it wont just make sure you keep it and the car wet. I usually use it when I was my car, I also use it on my chrome wheels as well, with no problems. Goo Gone is good you have to let it sit for a couple of minutes before you wipe it off and you will have to use an aggresive wipe. Good luck man!
Old 10-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #7
SweetNLow
GLS member

SweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond reputeSweetNLow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Use #000 Fine Steel Wool with light pressure and it will come off.

are you nuts????

you realize your taking off clear coat every time you steel wool the paint. not to mention your dulling the finish weather you think you are or not

SweetNLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:24 PM   #8
cavaliers60
Captain Funpark

cavaliers60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cavaliers60 Send a message via MSN to cavaliers60 Send a message via Yahoo to cavaliers60
I wouldn't use sandpaper... Just use the goo gone... Should do fine, or get some tuff stuff bug and tar remover.... That could work also.
cavaliers60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:58 AM   #9
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
i use steel wool on my WINDOWS with water, but def not paint...
Old 10-29-2007, 09:42 AM   #10
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
What's the difference between wet sanding and wet steel wooling, nothing in my opinion. Iv'e done both with no issues.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
Gr1m
Soon to be banned again

Gr1m is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Gr1m
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnut View Post
What's the difference between wet sanding and wet steel wooling, nothing in my opinion. Iv'e done both with no issues.
there is no difference in this case, as sweet stated they will both take the finish off your paint, just use some goo gone and a rag and be done with it.

I shaved my balls for this?
Gr1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
Jferg2223
GL Member

Jferg2223 is on a distinguished road
have you been burnin your tires.........................I hate getting the burnt rubber off the side of my car after being at the track.
MSD Coils - NGK Iridium Plugs - Taylor Wires - 62mm RSM Throttle Body - DHP PCM- 180 Stat - TPS Enhancer - Custom 3" CAI - Thunderbolt Spin Cat no resonator - Dynomax Dual exhaust w/ Borla Tips- Cleared Corners/Black Bezels
Jferg2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
smokinAMD
V.I.P. Member

smokinAMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to smokinAMD Send a message via AIM to smokinAMD Send a message via MSN to smokinAMD Send a message via Yahoo to smokinAMD
Clay bar, that will take care of it, and won't screw up the clearcoat. Then wax it, that will make it more difficult to stuff to adhere to the paint in the future.
smokinAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #14
Molson
V.I.P. Member

Molson is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Molson Send a message via MSN to Molson
looks like tree sap
Molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #15
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
Tree sap stained my paint in places, and no matter what I do, it won't come off. Clay bar doesn't do it.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote