Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 07-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
AXLE
GX Member

AXLE is on a distinguished road
Alignment close call

Monro did an alignment saturday and the rear bolt that adjusts the toe on the left came loose on the way home today, shook the shit out of the car. Happened to anyone else? I'm thinking of throwing a tackweld on each washer as soon as I get it back just to hold it in place, I can cut it loose in the future.

Also after the alignment, but before it fell apart, the car turns alot harder now. IDK how to explain it, but less steering input is needed for a lane change. I switched lanes this morning (dead deer) and could have lost control of the car, would have if it was wet out. There's normal steering to a point, but anything beyond gentle turns really has a large effect, with alot of body roll. This has variable power assist, could that have anything to do with it, and what would an alignment have done to it?
AXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Take it back
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
jawa
Powered by LX9

jawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond reputejawa has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to jawa
i would take it back and bitch ...... bitch alot

jawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
agree with both of them! inexcusable.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
I had a similar situation with a Ford service van. They did an alignment and said it was factory specs. Turned on a dime in the parking lot, but when I got it on the highway and did a lane change, it almost rolled! I could swear it was toed-in too much. I took it back and they messed with it for about an hour. On the highway, it was still screwed-up and dangerous. Slightest turn of the wheel, and you were in the other lane or off the road. Went back and made the manager drive it, he said, well, it's up to specs, but your tires are too worn for the alignment to be correct (sounded like B.S.) So they put the rear tires on the front, and it was a little better, but not much. I went out and proceeded to wear out the tires, since the service policy would not replace them without enough wear. Then I got my supervisor to upgrade the tires for severe weather use and got a complete new set, it got rid of most of the problem, but it never handled as good as it should have.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
I had a similar situation with a Ford service van. They did an alignment and said it was factory specs. Turned on a dime in the parking lot, but when I got it on the highway and did a lane change, it almost rolled! I could swear it was toed-in too much. I took it back and they messed with it for about an hour. On the highway, it was still screwed-up and dangerous. Slightest turn of the wheel, and you were in the other lane or off the road. Went back and made the manager drive it, he said, well, it's up to specs, but your tires are too worn for the alignment to be correct (sounded like B.S.) So they put the rear tires on the front, and it was a little better, but not much. I went out and proceeded to wear out the tires, since the service policy would not replace them without enough wear. Then I got my supervisor to upgrade the tires for severe weather use and got a complete new set, it got rid of most of the problem, but it never handled as good as it should have.

tire wear can effect handling of a vehicle. like if your tires are worn due to bad camber they could create a pull even if specs are good. just an example. christ we see half worn tires on silverados that cause the customers to complain of high steer effort in parking lots... just half worn tires...
Old 08-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLE View Post
Monro did an alignment saturday and the rear bolt that adjusts the toe on the left came loose on the way home today, shook the shit out of the car. Happened to anyone else? I'm thinking of throwing a tackweld on each washer as soon as I get it back just to hold it in place, I can cut it loose in the future.

Also after the alignment, but before it fell apart, the car turns alot harder now. IDK how to explain it, but less steering input is needed for a lane change. I switched lanes this morning (dead deer) and could have lost control of the car, would have if it was wet out. There's normal steering to a point, but anything beyond gentle turns really has a large effect, with alot of body roll. This has variable power assist, could that have anything to do with it, and what would an alignment have done to it?

There is no need to weld anything. They didn't do it right. They didn't tighten the nut or something but stuff like that doesn't just happen out of nowhere. Any good shop will give you a print out of the alignment, before and after. Take it back and have them do it again. I would also ask for a refund. Techs these days don't take pride in there work, they only worry about how many hours they can flag in the week.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
Take it back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawa View Post
i would take it back and bitch ...... bitch alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
agree with both of them! inexcusable.

I agree. The first problem is you took it to a place like Morno. I thought they only did exhaust. In the future you want to find a small place, not a national chain, do do stuff like this. Nothing but problems when I took my Cougar to Just Tires back in the day. Worst thing and biggest waste of money ever. I got my RWL tires on the car and I was sooooooo happy, then I took it back for my 6000 mile tire rotation and they said I needed an alignment, so I let them do it. $65 later, for a free tire rotation and my car felt worse. Not as bad as you're issues, but still pretty bad.

My mech toed in my front wheels too much when I got my shocks done, but I took it for an alignment anyway because your supposed to with new shocks. Car felt just like you said, but no broken bolts

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
AXLE
GX Member

Thanks for the replies. I did get it towed back to monro immediatly, and of course he was defensive but agreed to fix it. I took it to them because I was tired of being boned by Town Fair Tire and Sears Automotive. Sears were the last ones to align it, and the rear tires were worn to cord on the inside and weren't even round anymore lol. Monro did an awesome job on my daughter's little car so I figured I'd go back to them. I was tired of Town Fair because of the bizarre sales tactics. I could write pages on those guys lol.

I'll get it back this afternoon. So what about the way it handled before the bolt came loose? Is the toe setting just mis-adjusted? AFAIK you can only set the toe on this car, no caster/camber.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXLE View Post

I'll get it back this afternoon. So what about the way it handled before the bolt came loose? Is the toe setting just mis-adjusted? AFAIK you can only set the toe on this car, no caster/camber.

you have minor camber adjusments (loosen the strut bolts down at the nuckle, push in and out on it and then tightned botls back up) but its only a minor adjustment. and to do caster you would either have to buy struts that yo ucan do that with (racing struts if yo ucan find them) or you have to elongate your strut top holes in the body so you can move the strut around.

however... toe being off, ESPECIALY the rear can cause weird things. get it aligned right and re-evaluate.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
When you get it back scan in the printout and post it here.

I have had alignments go out in the parking lot right after getting it. I had struts installed (this was the last time I paid someone to do it) and I drove right back and said that it was off. Their excuse was that the new struts must has settled, and they did the alignment again and after that it was fine. This was decades ago and now that I have done struts a few times, I know that this is BS.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
AXLE
GX Member

I just called them, they broke the bolt that adjusts the toe and are looking for a nw one at dealerships. I might get the car back tomorrow, I dont have much expectations for today. I bet I will have to pay for the bolt too.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
jawa