Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 07-15-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
goldensaint

Arrow

I was just wondering if it would be possible to hook up subs to make a home system. What all would I need??? Is it possible? I hooked one up but I guess it drains too much juice so it just shuts off. Any opinions would be very helpful. Thanx
Old 07-15-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
A car sub is virtually the same as a home sub. Your car amp converts dc to ac. The difference is the application it is designed for. A home sub is made for sound quality opposed to sound quantity. Home amps tend to be 6 to 8 ohms and unstable below this amount. I would gather this is why your system is shutting down. Just be sure to place the sub in a box it is designed for. Don't use a home box. Ensure that your amp matches ohms and will have adequate power to match the rms and it will work.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 06:26 PM   #3
goldensaint

Would i have to use a car amp for it or get something else
Old 07-15-2005, 07:41 PM   #4
eag182
V.I.P. Member

eag182 is an unknown quantity at this point
You can use the home amp I just doubt it would be powerful enough. And unless it has sub output you'll need a low-pass filter.
eag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:50 PM   #5
gre0481

I wouldn't recommend using car subs. What ohm are they?

anything from 0-4 ohm could fry your system.

Or if you have a fuse, have fun replacing it every minutes.
If you have a warranty on your home system, I'd scratch that because hooking em up would probably void it. If you have a manual for your system, look into it.
If nothing else, email customer service for the stereo.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
bigd6983

its definately do-able.........like mikegett says, home stereos are designed for SQ how loudness.......aslong as you were to get your subs into the ohmage range you wont fry anything in that sense, now the power issue, you can ruin a sub with not enough power and trying to get a lot out of the sub, if you were to get a single dual voice coil sub or 2 single voice coil subs, with a lot to moderate power rating, you should be alrite, like 2 10w0's........wire them in series, you could get away with 150-200 watts to them and it would sound fine......
Old 07-15-2005, 09:51 PM   #7
slowandlow
V.I.P. Member

slowandlow is an unknown quantity at this point
car subs for a home system is a bad idea all car subs use cabin gane to get the last octave. ht subs have a lot lower fs or their resident frency. home subs are ysaly under 22 and car subs are usaly 28 to 30
check out http://www.ascendantaudio.com/ they are clearing out their subs for a new design caues adrale audio who lisens xpl was saying
slowandlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:20 PM   #8
scArLERO

On the back off both my receivers ( Yamaha RX 630 & Sony STR911) there is a impedance switch.

On the Yamaha it has this:
main A or B 8ohm min. /speaker
center 8ohm min. /speaker
rear center 8ohm min. /speaker
rear 8ohm min. /speaker

AND

main A or B 4ohm min. /speaker
main A + B 8 ohm min. /speaker
center 6ohm min. /speaker
rear center 6ohm min. /speaker
rear 6ohm min. /speaker

On the Sony I think it says
8ohms or greater
and
6ohms or less

check your receiver for a switch like that ( or similar ).
Do you want to use this as sub speaker ( for bass ) or in a tower with highs and mid range?
You will need a crossover for the tower setup not so sure you need a crossover for a sub :dontknow: .
I do know on my receivers you just cant wire a sub straight to them, you need a rca type plug on the end that connects to the receiver to the sub outlet.
Most subs for home setups are powered by themselves not the receiver with its own volume and settings control.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
like slow and low said, it'll sound like crap more than likely. to tune the box to the proper frequency, the box would have to be over 15 sq feet more than likely. impedance is not a issue. you dont run subs like your "main" speakers, or surround speakers. you run them off the LFE output, its just a signal output. 99% of subs are "active" so they've got a built in amp. if your trying this for HT and not just music, it will sound like crap hooked up as speaker "B".

but if you still want to do it, you need what's called a plate amp. you can get them off ebay, and partsexpress.com. i was considering doing this too, untill i found out how big the box would have to be for a sub used for car audio. car audio and home audio subs are similar, but not the same. so i just bought a JBL studio series sub, 400 rms
Old 07-18-2005, 11:38 PM   #10
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
Get one of these. They have very good sound quality and affordable.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=295-555

Build a ported box tuned to about 20-23Hz and stick one of these on it and you'll have more than plenty of bass.

For right around $200 you can have a nice low end setup that would make most people happy.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:33 PM   #11
TheSoundDemon
GX Member

TheSoundDemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TheSoundDemon Send a message via MSN to TheSoundDemon Send a message via Yahoo to TheSoundDemon
The other thing is most home audio speakers are also magnetically shielded so that they don't interfere with the television and distort not only the screen, but the colors...if you do decide to do it...make sure the sub is as far away from your television as possible to avoid any interference. It is doable though...If you'd like you can get a very large AC to DC converter (I've seen them because we used them in our scorpion demo car) and then wire up a car amp and then just run your signal wires from the back of your stereo into the inputs of the amp. Again that's if you want to go about doing it that way...other people may have better ideas.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:34 PM   #12
Grouch

Quote:
Originally posted by jamcllw@Jul 18 2005, 10:38 PM
Get one of these. They have very good sound quality and affordable.

Build a ported box tuned to about 20-23Hz and stick one of these on it and you'll have more than plenty of bass.

For right around $200 you can have a nice low end setup that would make most people happy.

I was reading through this thread and was going to recommend PartsExpress. lol Their stuff is pretty good. For the price of their DIY subs it's hard to beat. The do have full sub kits with the box, speaker, amp, etc. Send for their free catalog.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:32 PM   #13
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I live about 10 minutes away from there warehouse and I go down there at least 1-2 times a month. They had a huge tent sale 2 weeks ago and everything in the store was 20% off. I got a nice 240 watt home audio amp for $6. It was in the defective bin but I took it home replaced the fuse and works perfectly. All in all I spent about $200 that day.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:11 PM   #14
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
partsexpress is a pretty sweet place to get misc. stuff, i used to have access to there distributor pricing which was anywhere from 10-40% off the website, but we lossed it when we stopped ordering and didn't want to pay for the renewal. also, if you find somthing you want on there, type the model number on ebay, sometimes there are ebay companies that sell the exact same parts.