Old 08-09-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
cgriffin

could i go with a mono amp if just hooking up one sub, does it matter or what
Old 08-09-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
cgriffin

wat up guys
Old 08-09-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
majicmike954

yes you can go with a mono amp. Mono class D amps in my mind are the best. It all depends on what rms your subs are. I have had many many many amps, all different brands. I love my Jl Audio 1000/1 This thing is ridiculous.

Anyway Mono means 1 correct??? You have 1 sub get the picture.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
cgriffin

some idiot said a mono amp is no good with one sub

but anyway i want to purchase a 800watt mono amp with a 400watt 10in sub is that a good combo
Old 08-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
Nik1128

Be careful not to blow out your sub w/that combination.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:12 PM   #6
cgriffin

what combo would u suggest? :o
Old 08-09-2005, 02:12 PM   #7
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by cgriffin@Aug 9 2005, 12:24 PM
some idiot said a mono amp is no good with one sub

but anyway i want to purchase a 800watt mono amp with a 400watt 10in sub is that a good combo

What brand of each? Lots of advertised 800 watts amps will never put out near that much.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
alerocar01
V.I.P. Member

alerocar01 is an unknown quantity at this point
i would never put a more powerful amp on a sub unless you want to buy a new sub every couple of days. if u are running a 800 watt amp your sub should be at least 800 also.

DO WORK
alerocar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
AleroBloke

Quote:
Originally posted by alerocar01@Aug 9 2005, 11:26 AM
i would never put a more powerful amp on a sub unless you want to buy a new sub every couple of days. if u are running a 800 watt amp your sub should be at least 800 also.

Match your Amps Rms close to the Rms of the sub. And alerocar is right, I wouldn't never put a more powerful amp to a less powerrful sub. Umm Just matcht them closely, 800 rms amp with two 400 rms 10s or 12s. Match your rms, the sound qualitiy, will be much much better.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:44 PM   #10
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd rather over power than underpower.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:21 PM   #11
sound_xtreme
GLS member

sound_xtreme is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sound_xtreme Send a message via MSN to sound_xtreme Send a message via Yahoo to sound_xtreme
Quote:
Originally posted by jamcllw@Aug 9 2005, 02:44 PM

werd. distortion kills speakers not power. Get the 800 watt and turn it down halfway or so. That will prevent you from clipping it or overpowering your sub. Problem solved.
That's either assuming both items are crappy, or both items are good. if you have a JL Audio sub and a Legacy(or equivilant) amp I'd think about a different route
Old 08-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #12
majicmike954

^^^^ exactly.

If you got a 800 watt legacy, or crunch or some bull poop like that you shoul dbe fine with a 400 watt high end sub, now on the other hand the amp is the least thing you want to go stingy on. The amp in my opinion is the most important thing when it comes to systems. Also if you were to ask me i wouldnt even touch a 800 watt mono amp to a 400 watt 10in. , 1 none the least. If i were you save some money up get 1 12" and then mono amp or 2 10's. Thats just my opinion.

I would go to Deaf Audio and buy a Fusion amp

Besides blowin your subs is the fun part!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:07 PM   #13
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
Quote:
Originally posted by sound_xtreme+Aug 9 2005, 08:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sound_xtreme @ Aug 9 2005, 08:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jamcllw@Aug 9 2005, 02:44 PM

werd. distortion kills speakers not power. Get the 800 watt and turn it down halfway or so. That will prevent you from clipping it or overpowering your sub. Problem solved.
That's either assuming both items are crappy, or both items are good. if you have a JL Audio sub and a Legacy(or equivilant) amp I'd think about a different route
[/b][/quote]

Exactly. There are two main enemies in audio equipment. Heat and distortion. Considering that distortion creates heat, you may even say one. If you have ever wandered as to why OEM speakers blow so quickly, it is due to underpowering. As for your mono amp question, it all deepends on the ohm rating you apply to it. Let us know the rms, ohm, and voice coil quantity of your sub. We can then tell you what to look for in the amp.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:27 PM   #14
mikegett
GL Member

I forgot to note. If you are looking into mono amps, they are pobably class D. Class D amps are very high in distortion making them dedicated to subs. With the exception of very high end and relatively new full range class D amps. Don't expect to ever place it on a pair of mid range or higher speakers and be aware that cheap class D amps can be a VERY BAD IDEA. Pay special attention to the damping factor of the amp. Avoid any amp with a damping factor under 150. I recomend at least 200. If you are running a high end SPL sub with long excursions then look for a damping factor of 500 to 1000. This number signafies the ability of the amp to control the subwoofer cone movement. The greater the wattage, the larger the excursion, the higher the amp damping needs to be. If you decide to go with a low end mono with poor damping factors, then distortion and heat can be induced intot the sub causing premature failure. Once again, this only applies to class D amps due to the high distortion produced. A class A,B is rarely under 200 nor should require a greater damping factor of 200.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:03 PM   #15
gre0481

Quite possibly say you did get an 800 watt amp. ANd then you have an 800 watt sub.

Make sure you have the right ohm load. Is it a single, or dual voicecoil?

How are you wiring it? Check out JLaudio's website for some DIY wiring, with ohmloads.

You don't have to use their equipment; just compare what you have, with what they're showing you.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:38 AM   #16
cgriffin

i have not yet bought anything yet i was window shopping with wife
but anyway great help guys i really need to save space and money just a little bang bang is all i need. one 10 or 12in sub and a amp simple any good cheap brands that work ok for know?
Old 08-10-2005, 09:27 PM   #17
mikegett
GL Member

If you are just looking to add some bass, then just look for a cheap ten or twelve to place in the trunk. Don't worry about goind extravagant on the woofer. Sound quality is not expensive in subwoofers, it is spl levels that cost. Expect to drop between seventy and 150 for a decent sounding woofer. The main area you will want to look at is the sensitivity and power handling. The higher the sensitivity of the woofer the more efficient it will become. If you are needing to save money then try to find a woofer with a power range in RMS around 300 watts. If you are purchasing from online, I would suggest one of the infinity subs from crutchfield. The lower end reference is a decent sub for $90 dollars. The efficiency is 91 and the RMS is 250 watts. For $150 the infinity perfect gives you a longer excursion for deeper bass, has a efficiency of 94 and only requires a RMS of 350. The other benefit of the perfect is that a sealed box is .6 cu.feet while the reference requires .75 cu.feet. Not alot of space gain, but something to think about. If you happen to have a audio shop near bye, then look into the JL or eclipse subs. Both have very nice midrange subs for a decent price tag. Just be sure to make a budget and try to stick to it. As long as you buy a sub in the 300 watt range you can purchase a decent amp for powering for about 150. Just be certain to look for one with a good crossover.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:00 AM   #18
cgriffin

thanks dude