Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 11-25-2003, 07:30 PM   #1
silverbullet

I'm trying to figure out a way to get the most for the least... aren't we all !!!
Well I'd like to mod the engine properly so that in a month or so I won't have to replace the engine or call the fire department.

Currently the wheels on it are fine. The currently engine is an ecotec 2.4... well its a 4 cylinder 5 speed so it goes faster than snot on a cold canadian winter's day... and that's fast. If anyone has any tech info... english not techese.. I'd greatly appreciate it.

silverbullet
Old 11-26-2003, 01:34 PM   #2
Final-Reality

When GM was testing the ECOTEC for drag racing, they originally started using nitrous, and kept adding more and more until the engine finally broke something, easiest way to figure out weak points in a car. The rods were the first to go, at something like ~280HP, which would mean roughly a 140 shot of N20. That is definately too risky though, because you'd be pretty much guaranteed to blow your engine...

To keep things safe, I'd say a 75 shot of N20 would be plenty to try at first. If you're feeling brave, perhaps a 100 shot? I really don't know much about nitrous though.. but apparently wet systems are safer than dry systems... hopefully somebody else on the forums can help you out with that more than me...

And definately it sounds like you need to learn a lot more before you go installing a nitrous kit. "Currently the wheels on it are fine.".... <_< Well ok, if you say so.... But I don't know what you think that has to do with your engine...

And you better be sure that its a 2.2 ECOTEC, and not a 2.4 Twin Cam, because the Twin Cam would probably blow up shortly after a 50 shot of N20...
Old 11-26-2003, 03:13 PM   #3
havik

Read the Ecotec Turbo thread for information. I'd contact companies who'll be involved (Nitrous companies, local shops who'll probably install it, etc...) to see what they recommend. At least this way, you can see the big picture from everyone's point of view.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:55 PM   #4
bdyman

ya i agree with the rest of the guys first need to find out if it`s the ecotec or the 2.4 then go from there
my ecotec has simple bolt on mod`s that really helped out allot
if your not sure ask us first
Old 11-26-2003, 10:55 PM   #5
chicken_dog

The eco can not handle a dry 75 shot in a stock motor ( I know this from personal experience) I recomend high compression pistons, upgrated cam shaft and a new head to make nitrous work effedtive in the eco.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:11 PM   #6
havik

Quote:
The eco can not handle a dry 75 shot in a stock motor ( I know this from personal experience)

heh heh :thumbsup:

Hey silver, have you also considered a supercharger? Some people prefer to have the power all the time as opposed to the push of a button or flip of a switch. It could be more reliable and less likely to blow your engine. It's pricey though :o

Google search for "2.2L Ecotec Supercharger"
Old 11-28-2003, 08:35 AM   #7
bdyman

^^^^very true havik.....but that is one costly sob!!!! if i had nos i would just use it only for racin purpose`s only....the spped shop out here told me a wet shot of 75 hp
imo only if used here and there the block should handle it
my 2 cents
Old 11-28-2003, 01:11 PM   #8
havik

If you want to read up on Nitrous Oxide: http://www.gtiworld.fsnet.co.uk/Nitrous%20oxide.htm
Old 03-03-2004, 01:31 AM   #9
wy3134

I have concidered adding NOS to my car, its a 2.2L ecotec all stock....I know Springs has played around w/ different types of shots of NOS....the general concensus is a wet system is safer than a dry....is it actually safe in your opinion to throw a bolt on NOS system to a stock engine with say a 50 or 75 shot of NOS? I guess im asking how much of an engine life should I expect if I only use it for racing purposes?
Old 03-03-2004, 01:40 AM   #10
havik

I wouldn't recommend bolting on a NOS system to a stock engine, simply because in the long run you'll blow your engine (it'll happen)
Old 03-03-2004, 07:29 AM   #11
chicken_dog

i used it 3 times and mine blew!!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:28 AM   #12
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
was it a wet kit or a dry kit?

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 06:43 PM   #13
havik

chad (chicken_dog) had the dry kit (I believe)
Old 03-05-2004, 09:55 PM   #14
velocity

Just FYI...according to the getrag website the 287 can hold up to 250Nm of torque. Or about 170-180 ft-lbs. If I remember correctly the ecotec puts out about 150 ft-lbs as it is. With a 75 shot of NOS you would pretty easily add over 30 ft-lbs of torque as well and blow your tranny.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:57 PM   #15
Final-Reality

It'll hold up alright velocity, people run way more power than that through the getrag... it's just the clutch that isnt up to the task
Old 03-05-2004, 10:11 PM   #16
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Final-Reality@Mar 6 2004, 02:57 AM
It'll hold up alright velocity, people run way more power than that through the getrag... it's just the clutch that isnt up to the task
Verry true, i beleave that the stock clutch is only good till like 140-150hp & torque
Cant wait till the centerforce comes out...if it hasnt yet...lol

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:29 PM   #17
Silverknight

Quote :And you better be sure that its a 2.2 ECOTEC, and not a 2.4 Twin Cam, because the Twin Cam would probably blow up shortly after a 50 shot of N20...

^ heh thats tru, my motor blew up on a 75 after about 15 seconds of use.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:07 AM   #18
dopey

^^^ thought u said u werent spraying when u blew ur motor???

get ur story straight dude.......
Old 03-09-2004, 06:26 PM   #19
Final-Reality

He's lied so much about it that he forgets how the true story goes.. :rolleyes:
Old 03-09-2004, 06:31 PM   #20
dopey

^^^^ good call dude