Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 05-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
running 2 amps

im not new to installing systems but i have never hooked up two amps. what is the best way to do it as far as the power and ground wire? i can do the remote and RCA but i dont know how to hook two power and ground cables into just one? do i just need a distribution block?
alero_bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
yep. get 2 distro blocks. one for ground, one for power.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
for power get a fused distribution block. The wire from the battery goes to the block, and 2 power cables go from the block to your 2 amps. As for RCA's, you have 2 choices. 1) You can get a set of rca's from your hu's rca jack to one of your amps input rca jacks, and get another set to put between that amps output to the other one's input. or 2) get 2 long RCA cables, and if your HU has 2 sets of RCA jacks, just use one set for each amp.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
alero_bmxer
GL Member

alero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond reputealero_bmxer has a reputation beyond repute
okay thanks a bunch guys...as far as the RCA cables i have a splitter for each
Old 05-05-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
i just ran 2 power cables and grounded them separately. call me old fashioned.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ryan from Ohio will become famous soon enough
Running separate ground at separate location runs the risk of ground loops.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan from Ohio View Post
Running separate ground at separate location runs the risk of ground loops.

you can't just drop some knowledge on me and leave it at that. it has been fine for years, but what damage could occur?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Some ground loops lead to engine noise from the speakers. It is pretty annoying.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Ground loops translate to noise, static, etc through the amplifiers.

Its mostly common in head units, but has potential to be an issue with amps.

Ground all amplifiers to a common ground point to ensure you wont have this problem.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000 View Post
you can't just drop some knowledge on me and leave it at that. it has been fine for years, but what damage could occur?

oh he can... and he will!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
Ryan from Ohio
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
oh he can... and he will!

Hey, its one of those rules of thumb. They seem to be getting lost anymore.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
BeeMain
GX Member

BeeMain is on a distinguished road
you should always have a fuse just off your battery (within 18 inches or closer). If you are in an accident or do something stupid in the future and cut the power wire between the battery and the dist block you end up with a hot wire right off the battery, not good.

best thing is to run a single power wire off the battery, through a fuse as mentioned above and then to a fused distribution block. From the block run a power wire to each amp. gives you flexibility and the most protection. You can use a non-fused distribution block because your amps do have fuses.

For the ground it can be as easy as screwing both amps ground wires under one bolt (seatbelt bolt??) or to be neat and clean run the grounds to a ground distribution block (non-fused) and then from the ground block to the chassie. Make sure you have a good ground to clean nonpainted metal.
BeeMain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
BeeMain
GX Member

BeeMain is on a distinguished road
why are you splitting your RCA's? does your headunit have a front and back RCA's? lots of them have a sub rca as well, or 6 channels. what are your amps running? front/back? front/back/sub?
BeeMain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
alero_bmxer
GL Member

im not splitting them sorry...i have a converter cable that you plug the one cable into and it turns the one plug into 2 input plugs