Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Regional Discussions & Meets > East Coast

Old 02-22-2006, 03:18 AM   #1
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
I'm going to be in NYC in a few weeks for a seminar and I'm looking for some things to do. I want to go to the the world trade center site and not sure what else is close. The seminar is at the Chrysler building so I will def. see that but looking for some other things to do that will be close. I'm staying here . If anyone wants to hook up let me know. I won't be there long but would like to see as much as possible.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
What ISN'T there to do? There's more than enough stuff to satisfy anyone in NYC. http://www.ny.com/

Like TV? Go on the free NBC Studios Tour or the NBC Experience Store

Like Museums? http://www.ny.com/museums/
There's the Metropolitan Museum of Art; Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum; Cooper-Hewitt National Museum of Design; Jewish Museum; International Center of Photography; Museum of the City of New York; El Museo del Barrio; Goethe House; National Academy Museum and School of Fine Arts; Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum; MoMA; American Museum of Natural History & the adjacent Hayden Planetarium; The Whitney; Brooklyn Museum of Art; Frick Collection; Museum of Television and Radio; etc...

Take the subway and visit "The House That Ruth Built" (Yankee Stadium). Daily tours at noon: http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...adium_tours.jsp

Then there's Broadway, Off-Broadway, Central Park & the Central Park Zoo, Soho, Tribeca, NYU and the Village. TONS of night clubs for every musical taste. The Statue of Liberty. Staten Island Ferrie rides around Manhatten. South Street Sea Port. Wall Street/NY Stock Exchange & the Commodities Exchange (gold, silver, etc.). The Empire State Building. Ellis Island. NY Botanical Gardens. The Intrepid Aircraft Carrier (currently housing the SST Concorde on its deck) & museum. http://www.ny.com/sights/misc.html

Also, while you're at Ground Zero check out Trinity Church - one of the oldest churches in the United States. Originally chartered in 1697 and rebuilt twice since then. There's a really nice little cemetary on the grounds with tombstones dating back to the 1600's. The firefighters used the church as a resting spot during 9-11 recovery & clean-up.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:43 AM   #3
justinusaf
GL Member

justinusaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to justinusaf
The ferry for the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island is within walking distance of Ground Zero. Times Square is always something to see. Central Park is interesting. You could spend all day there walking around. Get to the top of the Empire State building. Excellent view from up there. I think I took a whole roll of film up there. Theres more I will come up with later. I think SNL is flimed in NYC too. We are going to try to get up there in May or so.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Thanks guys. Im staying on long island over the Sat. I will be there but SNL would be cool. I'll take a look at those links and try and figure out how I can get the most done in a short time w/o spending $15098210 on transportation. I also have to meet up with another guy from work at some point. I think we are going to do the empire state building the first night and see the whold city lit up below.

Any ideas on good places to eat? We're staying on 48th and Lexington. Something unique to NY, but not oriential, its just not my bag.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
either go with expensive liquor and cheap women or cheap liquor and expensive women..i would suggest the ladder
Old 02-24-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Jeckyll & Hyde - themed restaurant w/ character actors
Address: 91 7th Avenue South New York, NY 10014
Phone: 212.989.7701
Directions: Located at 91 7th Avenue South between West 4th Street and Barrow Street

Carnegie Deli - One of the Most Famous Delis in the World
Address: 854 7th Avenue (at 55th Street)
Phone: 1-800-334-5606
Directions: Midtown Manhattan/Theater District

Serendipity - for desserts & romantic stuff.
Address: 225 East 60th Street, New York, NY
Phone: 212-838-3531
Directions: Between 2nd and 3rd Avenues.

Gray's Papaya - as seen on Die Hard 2 (or was that 3?)
Address: 2090 Broadway, Corner 71st
Phone: (212) 799-0243
Directions: Between Port Authority and Penn Station. The domain name www.grayspapaya.com is owned by Gray's Papaya, but the site is under construction. The address listed below has a good description.

Heartland Brewery
Address: 35 Union Sq West
Phone: 212-645-3400
Directions: Between 16th and 17th Street. Subway Stops: 4, 5, 6, L, N, Q, R, W to 14th St. - Union Sq

Mars 2112 - another themed bi-level restaurant set on Mars (where else?) w/ bar and game room
Address: 51 Street and Broadway

Soup Kitchen International - the Soup Nazi restaurant made famous on Seinfeld
Addresses: 55th Street & 8th Avenue (original site on Seinfeld) - now closed?
42nd St & 5th Ave, NYC
56th St & Lexington, NYC
59th St & 3rd Ave, NYC
97 Trinity Place, NYC
112th St & Broadway, NYC
3rd Ave & 45th St, NYC
3rd Ave & 78th St, NYC

Telephone Bar & Grill - British fare mixed with American cuisine
Address: 149 2nd Ave, near E 9th St.
Phone: (212) 529-5000

Coyote Ugly - yes, the same one the movie was based on (and, yes, the girls are still hot)
Address: 153 1st Ave, between E 10th St and E 9th St
Phone: (212) 477-4431

There are some other more expensive places I'd recommend but left those off. Plus there was a great little place down in SoHo that served french fries. ONLY french fries. But you could get any of 30+ toppings on the fries. Don't remember where exactly it was and there isn't a website that I could find for it. maybe it's closed now. But it was a great little place to go back in the mid-to-late-90's.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:49 AM   #7
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
I enjoy going to B.B. Kings sometimes, they have good food and usually decent entertainment.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:31 PM   #8
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally posted by double0alero@Feb 23 2006, 01:53 PM
either go with expensive liquor and cheap women or cheap liquor and expensive women..i would suggest the ladder
I can write it off as a business expense so expensive women AND expensive liquor

We were looking at going to some of the higher end restaurants but we refuse to wear ties or jackets So more casual. That carrnagie deli looks good for brunch one day. I'd like to go to BB Kings or the Hardrock (at least get the T-shirt). I looked at the hotel's website yesterday and of the top ten restaurtants the farthest was like 500 ft away. I've got a pretty good idea so far of things to see and do. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
number1alero
GL Member

number1alero is an unknown quantity at this point
if you want real expensive restaraunt, try Tavern on the Green around 86th street on the west side of central park. Theres an easy $300 meal, and dress isnt required (at least wasnt when i went there in 98)

also check out little italy, theres some killer restaraunts there if you like italian food, definetely check out broadway and times square,

into history? i know on the west side of manhattan they have the USS intrepid and a few other things.

most importantly, buy a subway pass, its hella cheaper than taxis and easy to learn the subway system. back in 98 when i visited for a week, bought a $35 pass that was good for 7 days. i think they have weekend passes, or at least did.
number1alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:14 AM   #10
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Yeah, BB King's is pretty good. 2 drink minimum, though (though that's rarely a problem for me ). The club has everything from Blues to Rap to Country to Metal. Really weird in that way. Check out their schedule when you're in town. I saw a Blues band a few weeks ago there and am going to see Celtic Frost there in September.

I didn't mention Hard Rock because of the price vs. the quality of the food. Somewhere in my closet I have one of their old t-shirts.