Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 02-14-2008, 11:22 PM   #21
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
A T3 Super 60 or something similar is what you'll want. You can push as little as 8 psi and easily make 220whp, it'll spool very fast, and last just about forever as long as you keep up on regular maintenance.

how did you tune your setup?
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #22
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
sorry, can't help but snicker a little. He said he wants to go "somewhat faster" and spend up to about $800 in the next few months.

You guys are pushing him into alot more money and some headache to go with it.

If you want a little bit of a kick in the pants and reasonable pricing, then I suggest PnP intakes, headers, and then if there's any left over get a high flow cat. Afterwards, you can have a muffler shop finish off a 2.5" exhaust.

That should get you into the ball-park of "somewhat faster" and in the price range you're talking about, give or take a little bit.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #23
GA_turbo
GX Member

GA_turbo is on a distinguished road
I have a turbo 2.4 with a garret t-70 and at 7psi i put down 245whp with a stock motor and drove it like that for over two years with no problems, then i want it more so went full built. And before you ask this is what i had at the time:
blazer fuel pump
accel fpr
fuel pressure gauge set at 32 psi
10:1 fmu
2.3 ford turbo injectors
front mount intercooler
log manifold from exploited racing( they are not around anymore)
external wastegate 38mm with a 7pound spring
and autometer EGT gauge wich at W.O.P throtle never read past 1375 degrees.
2.5 turbo back exaust

total cost 1000 dollars.

by the way your tranny will be just fine all i had for mine was the B&M shiftplus and i have nothing bad to say about it. 200,000 abused miles and running strong.

The best advice i will give you is take your time and get to know the motor you have there is more to the 2.4 than people think they know, i still keep findding new info on it, even info in europe for our 2.4L these are good motors and they will last forever if well maintain. Reserch on it and you will have a better idea of what you want to do then instade of i have this money i want to buy something cool, it doesnt work that way, why buy something you will not need later or it will get in your way. Read all the stickies on here and fill your brain with as much info as posible. Have fun...
Old 02-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #24
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
well when I first made this post, I was planning on starting off small, and doing what blackjack said headers, exhaust and intake and go from there

and this summer, I was planning on starting small turbo build, but I thought it would cost a minimum of 1500 (but probably more) and then I'd have to find a way to tune it

but anyway, I'm starting off small now
which parts would you guys recommend?
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:00 AM   #25
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
If you're going for a turbo in the near future, I wouldn't waste your money on headers yet then. You'll just be replacing them with a turbo manifold.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #26
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJules View Post
how did you tune your setup?
I didn't really. The entire stock fuel system and stock injectors are still in place, I added extra injectors that fire only during boost. You just turn a couple dials until the wideband and EGT gauges read what you want.

I personally think that's the best way to go. You get the driveability of a perfectly stock car with the extra power you want when you get on the gas. Not many people have done it the same way though, everyone's more concerned with PCM tuning.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 02-16-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #27
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spilner521 View Post
everyone's more concerned with PCM tuning.

That's true but with good reason. I can also control trans pressure, shift points, and torque management, along with timing, etc.

However, the way you've done it IS a much simpler method to a certain point.

You can also add in a timing controller if you have a standard trans and not worry about the rest of the B.S.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:25 AM   #28
Spilner521
Boost Guru

Spilner521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Spilner521
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
That's true but with good reason. I can also control trans pressure, shift points, and torque management, along with timing, etc.

However, the way you've done it IS a much simpler method to a certain point.

You can also add in a timing controller if you have a standard trans and not worry about the rest of the B.S.
Not everyone is going with such an extensive build like you, plus I wasn't talking about any kind of transmission tuning. For something as simple as adding more fuel in boost, I see no point in trying to tune large injectors to idle and drive decently while also trying to get decent gas mileage out of them, and then trying to tune them to add the right amount of fuel in boost. I'm not saying PCM tuning is wrong, I just think for the power levels most people want from a turbo engine, there's different ways to go about adding fuel that are simpler and probably cheaper.

For a build like yours, Blackjack, I would absolutely use a PCM tuning program to fine tune everything from fuel enrichment and ignition timing to the transmission settings and shift points. On my build I'm using HPTuners to tweak a few things on the engine and transmission, but I'll still be using secondary injectors to retain driveability since it'll still be my daily driver.

For the 2.4 only, the GM Supercharger reflash program would be the way to go if someone absolutely wants to go the route of PCM tuning, but there may still be other ways that are cheaper, especially if the only way to get it would be to purchase HPTuners and download the flash from there.

Last edited by Spilner521 : 02-19-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Spilner521 is offline   Reply With Quote