Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 06-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
AJules
GLS member

AJules is on a distinguished road
Overextended Brake Piston

One of my brake pistons is not retracting because it is "overextended."
I'm basically driving with my brakes on all the time.

what should I do?

I have an old SSBC big brake kit, and I called them and asked them what they would do, and they said they would fix it for about 50 dollars.

Is this something difficult to fix?

Should I send it back to SSBC? or have a local mechanic look at it?
AJules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
I would send them back cause they are legally held responsible if you have a failure or if an accident should result due to failure.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
AJules
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
I would send them back cause they are legally held responsible if you have a failure or if an accident should result due to failure.

This is honestly the last thing I want to do though, because shipping brakes costs an arm and a leg, (shipping there and shipping back to me) and I'd rather avoid doing this if it is something easy to fix.

If I can pay a mechanic near me 50 dollars to do this, I'd rather do that.

and plus I'd have to remove my brakes myself and have my car on jack stands for at least a week where as a mechanic might be able to do it sooner and have it done faster.

Last edited by AJules : 06-23-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJules View Post
This is honestly the last thing I want to do though, because shipping brakes costs an arm and a leg, (shipping there and shipping back to me) and I'd rather avoid doing this if it is something easy to fix.

If I can pay a mechanic near me 50 dollars to do this, I'd rather do that.

and plus I'd have to remove my brakes myself and have my car on jack stands for at least a week where as a mechanic might be able to do it sooner and have it done faster.
Well in essence you have answered you own question then. Search locally for a shop that rebuilds calipers, and if that doesn't work out for you then you will have to ship them out as a last resort unless you could find a comparable set for the price to get all this done or less.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
AJules
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Well in essence you have answered you own question then. Search locally for a shop that rebuilds calipers, and if that doesn't work out for you then you will have to ship them out as a last resort unless you could find a comparable set for the price to get all this done or less.

well yeah, I guess what I'm wondering is if it's an easy thing to do or no?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

I think they make caliper rebuild kits may just be a bad seal or dust boot. I don't do brake jobs involving more then rotors, pads, and caliper pins, but a maintence tech here said that on older calipers the pistons could be dirty from the brake fluid building up over time. So to wrap it depending on how mechanically inclined you are I don't see it being to bad of a job, but I wouldn't do it.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
If you think you can handle rebuilding them yourself, which they aren't that bad, call SSBC and ask them what seals and dust boots they use. See if you can get them from the local parts store or if you can order them from SSBC.
Here is a link that shows you how to replace the seal and the boot.
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...er_rebuild.htm
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote