Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 05-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
Oldsnut
Aleromod Old Fart & Owner

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Opinions on Headlight Covers

Just got these back from VC Finishes. Had them do the CF Hydro Immerssion on them. Voice your opinions, either good or bad.

Ultimately in the end they are for the future project Alero Coupe with the OSV bodykit. I am still debating on the color for that car but I was even toying with the idea of having the headlight bezels done in the same process if I go with a black or grey car.

Final 500 #448-OCA Preservation Class Winner, Final 500 Alero #219, '02 Bravada
I am officially addicted to Olds

Oldsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
need close ups

but ALL fake carbon fiber = dumb. where'd you get that coolant cover? is it the RKSport one?
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
CiscoPath
GL Member

CiscoPath is an unknown quantity at this point
^^Dumb? CF is specificially designed to be light weight to enhance performance i.e. for go, not show. I've been wanting to touch up my bay with CF but not much to choose from. At least now we have an option. Why pay out the asso for real CF just to sit under the hood when all I want is the "look"? Loox tight, olds. Now have' em get to work on some other 3400 dress-up parts.
CiscoPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
I think it looks good.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiscoPath View Post
^^Dumb?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2
ALL fake carbon fiber = dumb
Quote:
CF is specificially designed to be light weight to enhance performance i.e. for go, not show.
No shit, why do you think I said FAKE CF is dumb?
Quote:
Why pay out the asso for real CF just to sit under the hood when all I want is the "look"?
It's a good choice for you then, but making your own real carbon fiber parts is actually pretty cheap.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
CiscoPath
GL Member

Fine, don't buy it. To the un-trained eye, who would know (or care) that it's not real CF? Heck, would you even have known if olds hadn't told you how it was made? Maybe not. POINT IS, it looks good, I wouldn't have known, it will still sell, apparently not to you
Old 05-29-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
Oldsnut

Oldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond reputeOldsnut has a reputation beyond repute
Ion, I am only looking for the look of CF. It's not like I am gonna be racing the thing every weekend.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Fine, don't buy it. To the un-trained eye, who would know (or care) that it's not real CF? Heck, would you even have known if olds hadn't told you how it was made? Maybe not. POINT IS, it looks good, I wouldn't have known, it will still sell, apparently not to you
That's why I asked for some close up pictures, some is pretty good looking, but nonetheless if it's not the real thing... posers FTL. Kind of like putting GT badges on a V6 Mustang. To the untrained person, it might look like it's a Mustang GT, but to those who know, it's a moron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnut
Ion, I am only looking for the look of CF. It's not like I am gonna be racing the thing every weekend
I know, it's just.. it's fake. I don't like fake stuff. Lol.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
i think it looks slick w/ that color... but anything other then a dark finish car, would look goofy. imo.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #10
Oldsnut

Here is your closupe Ion. I don't know why I bothered with it, you'll never like it anyway.

I would rather look at the above at a car show than the below picture.

I also agree with you Chris, it should be on a darker colored car, that is why I stated Black or Grey also. I am debating id I want to do a Final 500 OSV version in the Dark Cherry Metallic. The way GM should have done it in the first place.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnut View Post
Here is your closupe Ion. I don't know why I bothered with it, you'll never like it anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnut View Post
Voice your opinions, either good or bad.
Ya. I like them from far away, it's better than stock, of course, but real > simulated in any situation, in my OPINION (which is what all of those rice-haters say as well, they even hate real CF that's used for a useless purpose, I'm not that picky)
Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #12
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
where did you get those covers, in the first place?? they definitely cover the headlight area well, and classy up the front of the bay.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #13
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
I like it.
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #14
Rexter9x
V.I.P. Member

Rexter9x is on a distinguished road
Those are awesome! I wish I had a set... hell, I dont even have covers there to begin with lol.
Rexter9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #15
Oldsnut

They are stock GM covers that were only available in '99. They are still available from GM, I bought mine about a year ago.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #16
CiscoPath
GL Member

^^Well, it seems you're able to get ahold of them and already have someone that can do the CF work...................*cough*GROUPBUY*cough*
Old 05-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #17
Oldsnut

Quote:
^^Well, it seems you're able to get ahold of them and already have someone that can do the CF work...................*cough*GROUPBUY*cough*
You can organize that one bro, to funny.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:12 PM   #18
[ion] C2
636 whp

I can wrap them in real carbon fiber..
Old 05-29-2008, 10:25 PM   #19
Rexter9x
V.I.P. Member

Rexter9x is on a distinguished road
How much would having this done cost? How much are those covers in the first place?
Rexter9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #20
Oldsnut

Both covers cost about $23 from Pontiqac dealership. They are cheaper from GM Direct, but you get hosed on the shipping. Cheaper at a stealership.