Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 01-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
nickbain
GL Member

nickbain is on a distinguished road
remote start

I've got a remote start system on my car (came with it when I bought it) and it has never worked. Whenever I push the button to start it it sounds like a relay clicks a couple of times and the interior lights blink and thats it. Any one know whats goin on and if it could be fixed easily, I know nothin about remote start stuff.

1996 GMC Yukon 4x4
5.7 liters of gas suckin power!
33x12.5r15 Mud Terrians on 15x10 wheels

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12345678987654321
nickbain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
GoldStar611
GX Member

GoldStar611 is on a distinguished road
I suppose the previous owners said it had a remote start? Easily fixed, more than likely; easily diagnosed, probably not.

First off, when you put the key in the ignition, and turn it to ON (before starting the car that is), is the security light on the dash illuminated or is it not lit up?

If there's no security light, then the passlock protection is bypassed (a good thing on remote starts). If the light is turned on, the remote start will need the help of a bypass module, that's the next part to diagnose.
GoldStar611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
nickbain
GL Member

Well it came with the remote and there is an antenna above the rearview and when I unplug the antenna the remote does nothing.

The security light is on.

1996 GMC Yukon 4x4

Old 01-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
nickbain
GL Member

lil more info, the remote has 5 buttons, lock, unlock, one with a line through a speaker, and start and a red one on the side that I'm assuming is a panic button. When ever I press the lock the lights blink but it doesn't lock, when I push the unlock the lights blink but it doesn't unlock, same with the other three, I push them and the lights blink but the supposed function doesn't happen.

The security light still comes on when I turn the car on but it does go off when it's running. I have looked and I can't find a switch that might turn off the remote start, is there any common and unobvious place to mount said switch other than under the dash? Is there any thing that I could look for to see if it's unhooked or missing or a blowen fuse some where?
any help would be appreciated.

1996 GMC Yukon 4x4

Old 01-21-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
CBLOHM3400
Trying To Help

CBLOHM3400 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to CBLOHM3400
most car staters are installed somewhere above where your feet are behind the cover most of the time the fuses are locatted close to the starter unit
Old 01-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #6
shackney
GL Member

shackney is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to shackney
check for a toggle switch under your dash...I have one under mine and if it is clicked in one direction it beeps like it is goin to start but dont its some safety switch id check that out
Old 01-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
nickbain
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackney View Post
check for a toggle switch under your dash...I have one under mine and if it is clicked in one direction it beeps like it is goin to start but dont its some safety switch id check that out

I looked but I can't find anything like that but I'll look harder.

1996 GMC Yukon 4x4

Old 01-22-2008, 08:26 AM   #8
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
You really should be looking for the brain of the system, then you can tell where the wires are running to and really start to diagnos the problem. If your doors aren't working then maybe they were never hooked up. In my car I have the ability to run doors off of my alarm and my remote start but I keep them seperate to avoid putting all my eggs in one basket. Furthermore, if when you push the remote start button and the brain is clicking (relay closing and releasing) then the brain is doing its thing, but I would look to see if the wires are still in place, then check fuses if they are there, if that is good then you have a problem with either the wiring or the brain. To find the brain just listen for the click when you push the button.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Naich
The Founder

Naich is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Naich
It depends on how the thing is set up. My remote starter works by pressing and holding the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for a few seconds.

My wife's works by pressing the red panic button looking thing with the * symbol twice. Different systems have different starting methods. You probably are not using the right one yet.

Naich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
nickbain
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naich View Post
It depends on how the thing is set up. My remote starter works by pressing and holding the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for a few seconds.

My wife's works by pressing the red panic button looking thing with the * symbol twice. Different systems have different starting methods. You probably are not using the right one yet.

Never thought about that, I just assumed that I hit the key button once or twice and it would start, I'll have to try diff combos.

Quote:
You really should be looking for the brain of the system, then you can tell where the wires are running to and really start to diagnos the problem. If your doors aren't working then maybe they were never hooked up. In my car I have the ability to run doors off of my alarm and my remote start but I keep them seperate to avoid putting all my eggs in one basket. Furthermore, if when you push the remote start button and the brain is clicking (relay closing and releasing) then the brain is doing its thing, but I would look to see if the wires are still in place, then check fuses if they are there, if that is good then you have a problem with either the wiring or the brain. To find the brain just listen for the click when you push the button.

I'll have a closer look at everything tonight when I pull it in the shop, it's too cold out to try and do anything outside right now

1996 GMC Yukon 4x4

Old 01-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #11
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naich View Post

Very good point! I'm so use to mine where I just push one button to start or to stop like your wife's. Nickbain if you find the brain you should be able to look up the sequence from the model number.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
shackney
GL Member

shackney is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to shackney
mine i push * and then unlock to start
Old 01-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #13
nickbain
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
Very good point! I'm so use to mine where I just push one button to start or to stop like your wife's. Nickbain if you find the brain you should be able to look up the sequence from the model number.

K so I found the brain and got the serial # it's v03834 made in Nov. '04 but I don't know what breed it is. I also found a switch for it and it was off. I turned it on and nothing happened. There was also a red button wired up next to the switch, I'm assuming its a reset button or override or something. There was also another box that looked like is was wired up in the same harness as the remote start.

Heres what it said:

GMDAA
(GM Data All)
Data Interface Modual
VR:3.1 MD-48-04

Made in Canada

There is a bunch of wires going into it and a spot to plug in a 3 contact plug. I looked and couldn't find any thing that would have been plugged into it. Is this part of the remote start or is it just part of the car.

I looked at all the wireing I could see and didn't see any loose connections and checked all the fuses and they all seem good.

What's next?

(I can get pics of everything if that would help as it is still all tore apart)

1996 GMC Yukon 4x4

Old 01-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #14
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Here's the info for the GM bypass module:
http://ifar.ca/download.php?productm...4bbd8e0304ea2d It could be that the bypass module has to be reprogrammed. The red button is the programming switch and if you pushed it you may have to reprogram it. Use the above diagram to verify that everything is right. I tried to find some info on that number you provided but I couldn't find anything. See if you can find any more info on it or see if it is branded on the other side some where, but you can at least get a little futher in your trouble shooting. If the link doesn't work above let me know and I could email the file to you.

PS: It takes alittle while for the link to download the file so be patient.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #15
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

I would also take a look at what factory remote starts gm offers because the previous owner could have had a factory one installed which I think wouldn't be branded. Check to see if you have a hood safety swith and make sure it is depressing all the way when the hood is closed. If not then it will not allow the car to start as well. The funny thing here is that when you try to remote start it it dosen't crank at all, but you said that the relay in the brain is clicking right? Did you check to see if you had the right button combination like Naich said earlier?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #16
nickbain
GL Member

Quote:
Here's the info for the GM bypass module:
http://ifar.ca/download.php?productm...4bbd8e0304ea2d It could be that the bypass module has to be reprogrammed. The red button is the programming switch and if you pushed it you may have to reprogram it. Use the above diagram to verify that everything is right. I tried to find some info on that number you provided but I couldn't find anything. See if you can find any more info on it or see if it is branded on the other side some where, but you can at least get a little futher in your trouble shooting. If the link doesn't work above let me know and I could email the file to you.

PS: It takes alittle while for the link to download the file so be patient.

Thanks, there is a logo on the remote and the unit, it is the same as the logo in the background of that .pdf you sent me too.

I reprogrammed the GMDAA as per the instructions on the .pdf but still nothing.

1996 GMC Yukon 4x4

Old 01-22-2008, 09:12 PM   #17
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

So the car doesn't attempt to turn over at all?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:20 PM   #18
nickbain
GL Member

Quote:
So the car doesn't attempt to turn over at all?

It didn't no. The parking lights were just flashing 4 times then nothing. BUT I got it working now Thanks for your help. The remote start is made by the company that you got that .pdf from. From that site I found what system I had and downloaded the installation and operating instructions. Turns out that because it's a manual trans. I have to "set" it so that it'll start with the remote (I guess to ensure that I'm not trying to start it when it's in gear) and the four blinks was telling me it wasn't ready to start because I didn't do the proper procedure. I tried doing the set up and she started right up.

Again thanks for the help.

1996 GMC Yukon 4x4

Old 01-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #19
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

Congrats man! Glad to hear you got it working, cause I was running out of ideas! I wasn't going to give up though until we figured something out. Enjoy!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:00 AM   #20
meadus101
Hot and Fluffy.

meadus101 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to meadus101
Is there a way to set the Stock panic Button to a Start/Stop button?
meadus101 is offline   Reply With Quote