Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 03-10-2005, 03:11 AM   #1
jiffy

1. Is there some kind of ratio of power to balance your sub and front speakers? I plan on getting a sub rated up to 250 watts rms and the components are rated up to 75 watts rms.

2. Is this amp capable of powering both the speakers and the sub, or would I need a second amp?

2b. If it is not powerful enough, I take it I would need 2 amps, one for the speakers and one for the amp. Would this create too large a strain on a stock electrical system (battery and alternator?)

I really hope the original amp could run both, because then this is definitly within my budget. If I need a second amp, the components will have to wait...

Possibly, an amp like this would be enough to power everything, thus eliminating the need (and space) for 2 amps, although the price is similar to the cost of 2 amps.

Even the single more powerful amp would push me over my budget...

3. Im looking for decent SQ, not SPL. I mainly listen to indie rock (bright eyes, death cab for cutie, the faint, q and not u). I don't need earth shattering bass, but I have no idea what 100 or 150 watts to the sub would sound like versus 225 or 250.

If I ran 225 or 250 to the sub, and it was too much bass for me, how do I turn the bass (or its power) down? I'm almost embarrassed to ask that one...
Old 03-10-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
bigd6983

they make 5 channel amps something that does 50 watts rms by 4 and then has a dedicated subwoofer channel rated at 200 or so watts, now i dont know how good they are cause ive never tried but it seems like it would fit what you are looking for.....
Old 03-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #3
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
I personally like to go with separate amps for everything. 2 subs 2 amps and a seperate 4 channel amp for doors and 6x9s. This way one amp fails on its outputs or just blows somehow. You still have 2 amps left for example while the other gets serviced.

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:36 PM   #4
AleroBloke

Quote:
Originally posted by AGT@Mar 10 2005, 10:53 AM
I personally like to go with separate amps for everything. 2 subs 2 amps and a seperate 4 channel amp for doors and 6x9s. This way one amp fails on its outputs or just blows somehow. You still have 2 amps left for example while the other gets serviced.
I do the same thing, I have an amp running my 6x9s and I have two amps powering my two subs.. very worth it
Old 03-10-2005, 03:48 PM   #5
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I love my 5 channel amp. They're extremely easy to set up. You don't have to deal with distribution blocks or anything of that nature. If you don't have more than 1 or 2 RCAs you don't have to worry about splitting them up between 2 or more amps. Mine supplies plenty of power for my needs and it sounds great.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
ImSoBored
GL Member

ImSoBored is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImSoBored
Ive got a 444watt 4 channel amp(sony xplod) for $100 at wallyworld, on my 2 12's My deck supplies around 50 watts to my each speaker.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:03 PM   #7
jiffy

Quote:
Originally posted by ImSoBored@Mar 10 2005, 03:55 PM
Ive got a 444watt 4 channel amp(sony xplod) for $100 at wallyworld, on my 2 12's My deck supplies around 50 watts to my each speaker.
50 watts PEAK, not RMS. You probably get anywhere from 17-22 watts rms out of the HU.

And your amp is going to be 444 ? watts peak to all 4 channels. It is probably 100 watts max per channel, and something like 40 watts rms.