Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-30-2005, 02:53 AM   #61
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by germ@Mar 29 2005, 11:47 AM
wonder how long it will take you to get your "kit" from them

i know the grand am guys have been waiting for a long time and the one guy that the kit was based off of wont even endorse their product. and the only thing worthwhile on that kit is the headers IMO and even then, the dont show any signicant HP gains over log turbo headers.

but hey, spend the $3500 on that kit, its only money.

by the way, i pieced together my kit within 2 months, and another 2 weeks to fab up stuff to install it, and then another 6 days to install it the first time. if i were to start from scratch again, i could probably go from nothing, to a turbo'd car in less than 1 month.

well, lets see, i already have part of the kit, the rest is coming, when my middle man contacts them, probably mid-april.......

as far as Phantom505 from gagt.com, he will endorse the "kit" i have talked to him on PM several times, his big beef with them was how they as a company handled the tuning issues through DHP, he likes the "kit" and greatly reccomends it but he was upset dealing with all the tuning crap.......that is not a problem anymore though with new tuning software..........

i have some pictures of parts of my turbo kit if you are interested.......
Old 03-30-2005, 08:17 AM   #62
germ

as for turbo size, it really depends on the kind of power you want to achieve, the PSI you want to run, the rest of your setup.

a t3/t4 hybrid would be "style" i would go with for all applications

as for size, you want something with a 57 trim wheel, at least a 50 a/r COLD, and at least a 60 a/r HOT. if you go with those #'s as the smallest size, it will give you INSTANT spool, but will be working really hard if you like to drive REALLY fast.

my turbo is a 57 trim, 50 a/r cold, 83 a/r hot. i feel that a 70 a/r hot would be a really good match as well. but with my setup, i am at 10psi before 3000 rpms if i got 100% full throttle.

the brand really doesnt matter so much. garrett, air research, turbonetics, etc.... i have a Master Power turbo. its a company from Brazil or some sh*t, lol. they all use the same specs for the housings so it doesnt matter.

make sure to use an oil restrictor valve so you dont push 40+ psi of oil pressure to the turbo, it really only needs a trickle of oil to the oil feed side.

now back to the HP turbo kit. i am sure you got some of the parts allready. there are a lot of people that have about 1/2 the kit sent to them already. they have been waiting for a while for the rest.

i dont think there is one person other than phantom that has a complete kit yet

the kit is nice, but over priced, and i feel that some of the items they say you dont need is crazy, i.e. bigger injectors.

anything over 7 psi is probably gonna max out those injectors into a static mode and then it cant supply sufficiant fuel for the air thats coming in. *unless they have recently gotten smart about that.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:26 AM   #63
germ

almost forgot.....

for those that want/need to contact me, feel free to hit me up on MSN Msgr, germ_sws@hotmail.com or on AOL IM, germsws

i try to be on in the evenings

as for prices for stuff, this is just a short list of what I would spend....

turbo 300
wastegate 200
bov 50
turbo log headers 500 (with ALL flanges. by the way, i make these if your interested)
DHP Powertuner 399
fuel injectrors 225 (42.5#, you could possibly try the GTP's 36# for a LOT less)
silicone couplers 25 (buy it by the foot from ebay)
silicone reducers for the maf 25 each (hightempsilicone.com i think is the website)
silicone vac/boost hose
intercooler 200 (JRC's on ebay are VERY good intercoolers, and an Isuzu NPR Small IC is very good as well, thats what i have, but i dont knwo if it will fit in the alero, dont go cheap and get the saab and other $50 IC's, they just dont do a good job at cooling the charged air)

keep in mind, these are MAX prices. most of the stuff can be found for VERY cheap. and all prices are for NEW items.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:35 AM   #64
germ

and about this adjustable wastegate.....

why?

if you want to adjust boost, get a boost controller.

most of these adjustable wastegates dont do anything but spike the boost higher than you want.

and 99% of the wastegates out there, have interchangeable springs to give you more or less boost, but so does the boost controller

and a cheap controller can be bought on ebay for like $4
Old 03-30-2005, 09:43 AM   #65
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by germ@Mar 30 2005, 07:17 AM
now back to the HP turbo kit. i am sure you got some of the parts allready. there are a lot of people that have about 1/2 the kit sent to them already. they have been waiting for a while for the rest.

i dont think there is one person other than phantom that has a complete kit yet

the kit is nice, but over priced, and i feel that some of the items they say you dont need is crazy, i.e. bigger injectors.

anything over 7 psi is probably gonna max out those injectors into a static mode and then it cant supply sufficiant fuel for the air thats coming in. *unless they have recently gotten smart about that.

Well, i am going to be going way past 7psi, i am shooting for right up there with you in the 12-15psi range or more , we'll see how much of a loan i can get from my bank......anyways, there may be a lost list of people waiting, but i guarantee i am towards the top, i didn't buy the kit from HP, i bought it from a Grand Am guy, he has been waiting for awhile and decided he needed some of the money back, so i bought the kit from him, trust me, i didn't pay the $3500, plus he included in the deal some extra stuff such as injectors/gauges/boost controller/ and misc other small things.....

not trying to start an arguement here, i am just telling some people that aren't as car savvy that kit can be had, i'm lazy and i didn't want to piece a kit togehter, although relatively cheaper, i just wanted to start with the base kit

either way, thank you for the info you have provided, i'm sure your turbo information has helped many people that have been reading these posts already....

one of the mods from this section maybe want to cut out the crap from this thread and sticky it as a turbo info page.........Thanx, Kyle
Old 03-30-2005, 11:10 AM   #66
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
turbo-alero, I was thinking the same thing about an info page, alot of good input from various sources here. whether I like it or not, I"m learning. I just signed up as a member on a non-brand specific turbo owners club and germ has got me reading alot of tech articles off it. We need that here. I think we'd have a larger forced-induction group if we could show that it can be affordable. First thing I did was look at the price on a turbo kit and decided I could never afford it. At least now there's hope >8)

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:46 PM   #67
germ

if you got that kit for a cheaper price, thats great, because its honestly looks like a well built kit, i wont disagree there, and especially if you got some extras along with it.

:thumbsup:

i do like their headers, unfortunatly that wont work on a monte since the wbody has HUGE strut towers and brake boosters and master cyl. takes up a lot of room over there where they set the turbo at. a lot of modification would be needed on that setup for me.

so i had to make my own, lol

and yes, you can make a turbo setup affordable for pretty much any car that you are able to tune, and with todays stand alone setups and OBD hackers we have the ability.

honestly, you should spend the most on your tuning. that will keep you happy and not wrenching on the car. seriously.

and making sure you do it right the first time helps too, hahaha
Old 03-30-2005, 06:32 PM   #68
SilverBullet256

SilverBullet256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to SilverBullet256
ok germ, im gonna add you on msn and hit you up for hints and help later
Old 05-15-2005, 07:29 PM   #69
bjensen83

turbo-alero,. could you please post some of your turbo setup pictures?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:43 PM   #70
SilverBullet256

SilverBullet256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to SilverBullet256
um for one his car that the setup was going on was burnt, and two as he told me he didnt have anything in there yet so i dont think he has it setup in his car yet, but i may be mistaken
Old 05-16-2005, 06:21 AM   #71
RoninKouga

i saw this thingie on ebay.

i know... ebay tuning parts are ... but, what do you think about that turbo kit?

ebay turbo kit

thanks for your quotes
Old 05-16-2005, 09:03 AM   #72
Sportalero

Wow, 600 horses and can automatically convert any FWD vehicle to RWD?? All for just $550???

Aaaaaah, now i see. 50 bux for shipping. Knew there had to be a catch
Old 05-16-2005, 09:31 AM   #73
kwhauck
2Screwy

Quote:
Originally posted by bjensen83@May 15 2005, 05:29 PM
turbo-alero,. could you please post some of your turbo setup pictures?

well, all i can post right now is pics of all of my turbo piping and half of my turbo housing...........the rest you will have to wait on......but i am starting a website that will cover a complete buildup of my turbo alero so definately stay tuned.......
Old 05-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #74
RoninKouga

i wrote a mail to the seller that he gives me the list of parts that will be delivered. and i asked him to send the installation guide they include. may be he answers