Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > How-To Archive & FAQ

Old 04-19-2004, 11:15 PM   #1
dadirtybulldog

here ya go... this is how i painted my tails..

tools needed: scissors, rachet set to remove tails, large pieces of paper, pencil, 2" masking tape, preferred paint for this job, preferred clear coat for this job, patience

1) totally remove one side of the tails, both pieces, there are three wing type plastic nuts holding the outer piece of the tail (behind the carpet in trunk) and there are three nuts holding the inner piece of tail on the trunk... remove all while unhooking lights in the process....

2) take a larger piece of paper, anything as long as it's blank and big enough to cover one piece of the two piece tail assembly and form the paper on the outer lense of the tail.... so that it fits nice and snug (on this step i had to wrinkle the paper in some places to make it form- you could also cut a slit in it to make it form) .... then tape it secure.... next trace the form of the tail to your satisfaction and remove paper from tail...

3) repeat this process for the other piece of the tail

4) take the two and retrace the outline of the tails.. find exactly where the bulbs will be in the tails and transfer those center points to my drawing.... then make copies.....

5) be creative and come up with designs that suit you (for example i used a catfood can and a 20 oz soda lid)... when you're happy with the designs it's time to cut them out... first cut out the main pattern of the tail, then cut out your circles, ovals, stripes, ... whatever it is you came up with.... take the the patterns and make duplicates then reinstall the tails... next take the cut-out patterns and tape them on your tails tape the side you removed first then flip the other one over and tape it to the other side....

6) test them... if you like them then proceed on, if not design more....

7) remove tails, both sides and set aside... then take at least 2" masking tape and tear about a 6"-10" strips and place on a glossy surface that the tape can easily be removed from ... continue tearing and placing strips of until you can transfer your circle, oval, square, whatever it may be, ..... stagger the tape to make it wider.... then trace the pattern onto the tape....
remove tape from surface and with sharp scissors cut out the pattern... continue steps for all patterns....

8) somwhat retape the main cut-out piece (the one we traced from the tails) and place the tape cut-out patterns onto the tails... repeat until all your cut-out patterns of tape are placed nice and even an your tails... do one side at a time so you don't have to cut out all those small tape patterns again, they'll also be the same exact size.... after all are placed take medium grit sand paper and give it a light sanding around your taped pieces, sand doesn't have to be absolutely perfect...

9) take your preferred brand of paint (i used krylon fusion) and begin applying light coats of paint... allow each one to dry completely before applying next coat... continue applying coats until you reach the level of color/darkness you want.... next apply a polyurethane clear coat to finish of the job.... totally let dry before reinstalling tail assemblies...

10) go outside and enjoy your custom tails... this job is done! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Old 05-11-2004, 10:23 PM   #2
cruisinalero
GX Member

cruisinalero is an unknown quantity at this point
is there any prep/cleaning instructions for the tails lights or will a quick run through the car wash be clean enough.....
just wondering......
cruisinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:15 AM   #3
dadirtybulldog

i did not prep my tails before painting, all i did was wiped them down with soapy water and dried them, but my tails was only a trial design, i will be changing the design at some time in the future..... for a long-term job, make design and draw off onto tail lights, sand with medium grit paper everywhere where you're gonna paint, then wipe down with paint thinner... then paint.... then clear coat multiple times...
Old 05-12-2004, 09:37 AM   #4
bdyman

Quote:
Originally posted by dadirtybulldog@May 11 2004, 10:15 PM
i did not prep my tails before painting, all i did was wiped them down with soapy water and dried them, but my tails was only a trial design, i will be changing the design at some time in the future..... for a long-term job, make design and draw off onto tail lights, sand with medium grit paper everywhere where you're gonna paint, then wipe down with paint thinner... then paint.... then clear coat multiple times...
well being that this is a raw plastic and it does need a plastci adhesion promoter
for the paint to stick long term
don`t use a medium grit sandpaper use 1500 or 800 or even use a grey scuff pad
wash the plastic with hot soapy water
then scuff pad or a fine sand paper like 1500 or 600
use the adhesion promoter ppg dx801
let it dry for 30 min`s then base then clear
that what i would do for long term
iam not sayin what you did was wrong but just a few more steps would help
but hey what do i know right
oh ya......thinner on plastic ya might not want to do that,it will eat at the plastic
2 coats of clear will be good any more just causing for headaches
are you using ppg or dupont or just spray cans from pep boys
Old 05-12-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
dadirtybulldog

Quote:
Originally posted by bdyman+May 12 2004, 07:37 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bdyman @ May 12 2004, 07:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dadirtybulldog@May 11 2004, 10:15 PM
well being that this is a raw plastic and it does need a plastci adhesion promoter
for the paint to stick long term
don`t use a medium grit sandpaper use 1500 or 800 or even use a grey scuff pad
wash the plastic with hot soapy water
then scuff pad or a fine sand paper like 1500 or 600
use the adhesion promoter ppg dx801
let it dry for 30 min`s then base then clear
that what i would do for long term
iam not sayin what you did was wrong but just a few more steps would help
but hey what do i know right
oh ya......thinner on plastic ya might not want to do that,it will eat at the plastic
2 coats of clear will be good any more just causing for headaches
are you using ppg or dupont or just spray cans from pep boys [/b][/quote]
hey man.. i always enjoy your posts... they always helped... like you say, you have alot of experience in body work, and that is why your comments are appreciated... if you're asking what paint i used, it was krylon fusion, with three coats of krylon clear coat a few weeks later... within a coiple of months i'll be going to a permanent design.. :thumbsup:
Old 05-12-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
bdyman

well that`s fine , but now you have spray can paint on raw plastic
now it`s got to come completely off
and do the steps i have shown you
and don`t use cheap ass spray paint you want to use a automotive paint system like pgg or dupont or ici
hey down the road ship it out to me i can do it
:thumbsup:
Old 05-12-2004, 12:43 PM   #7
dadirtybulldog

i'll take it to heart... thanks