Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-24-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

sorrowfulkiller is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via MSN to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via Yahoo to sorrowfulkiller
Just curious (turbo question)

If I wanted to put a turbo in my alero... what would I have to do so that the engine could handle it? Like how much modifications would I have to have at certain psi's?

I'm debating whether I want to do a NA alero or turboed... all depending on what I would all have to do. Also... whats the differences in exhaust for a turboed alero vs a naturally aspirated one?
sorrowfulkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
alerocar01
V.I.P. Member

alerocar01 is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds like you need to talk to blackjack
alerocar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
it all depends on how much psi you plan to run. its pretty safe to run up to 8psi on stock internals.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

Send a message via AIM to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via MSN to sorrowfulkiller Send a message via Yahoo to sorrowfulkiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2000 View Post
it all depends on how much psi you plan to run. its pretty safe to run up to 8psi on stock internals.

Wow, I didn't think it would run that much stock... now if I wanted to run say.... 12 would I have to do major engine work?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
I heard 6 psi is a good safe number.

The stock bottom end can handle 10 psi, people say 8 to play it safe. 8 psi is a lot.

If you go to 12, you'll probably need to look into forged pistons and maybe better vavles in the heads. Def stonger head gaskets

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:54 PM   #6
alerored04
GLS member

alerored04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hell no. Germ, with the turbo 3400 in his monte is running bone stock internals at 320 hp. The tranny went long before the motor. I will be running 9 psi on a slightly ported motor with stock valves, im more worried about the transmission. Blackjack would be the person to talk to though. You will need custom turbo headers, currently there isnt a person that makes them. Those will be the major setbacks for the project. A custom tune will also be required, meaning you will need to buy DHP powertunr. I would say past 9 psi you will want to consider some motor work. past 12 psi it will be required. But before you turbo you will need ported intakes and heads. Your next best mod would be LS1 valve springs on the heads. For exhaust you will want at minimum of 2.5" turbo back. past 5 psi you will want 3" exhaust. Stronger head gaskets would be nice but not required until you blow one. Unless you need to get that deep into the motor beforehand its not worth all that work.
alerored04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:20 PM   #7
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
I drive daily at 12psi, stock bottom end. It's not the bottom end you need to worry about right now. At different PSI levels, what you need to be concerned with is your fuel delivery and tune.

6psi is REPORTED to be safe on a stock tune.
8psi requires a tune
10-12psi requires larger injectors and a tune
15psi "recommends" lager injectors, stronger fuel pump, AFPR, and beefier headgaskets (and tune).
you'll also need a MAF capable of a higher frequency range at this point, as well as a 2-bar MAP or better.

Now, transmission comes into play here in the next list.

6-8 psi is ok on a low mileage transmission of 2002 and older.
if you have a 2003 or newer, I've been running 12psi daily and spiking occasionally to 15psi on stock tranny. I can almost guarantee that an '02 or older will not handle 12psi daily with no modifications.

available mods for the 4t45e are:
Raybestos Blue Plate clutches
Limited Slip Posi
Billet aluminum accumulator piston
reworked valve body
higher stall speed torque converter
send the steels in for kolene treatment
performance bearings

This should make an '02 or older handle 15psi with no problem.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:51 AM   #8
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

Thanks for all the information... I'll look into it a bit more before I figure out if I'll turbo it or not.

Blackjack, my car has like 88k on it right now, so if I would run say... 6-8 psi, would you think I would need to get my transmission worked on a bit? My tranny has never slipped since I've had the car (about 9 months or so) and has nice hard shifts WOT and otherwise fairly soft shifts.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:24 AM   #9
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
nah, I'd just roll with it if you're staying down at 6-8psi

Old 01-25-2007, 01:32 AM   #10
alerored04
GLS member

im keepin mine stock til it eats itself. Then its time for a nice rebuild.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:38 AM   #11
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

Thanks for the insight everyone, I think I will turbo it then, first of course I have to upgrade a few things that are first priority... namely, struts, springs, brakes and of course the limg xD
Old 01-25-2007, 10:51 AM   #12
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

blackjack... one more question, what kind of turbo did you use?
Also, what did your build all include?

Last edited by sorrowfulkiller : 01-25-2007 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Changed my questions
Old 01-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #13
billytheman1188
3500 DONE!

billytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond reputebillytheman1188 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to billytheman1188 Send a message via MSN to billytheman1188
damn i didnt know we could run 6-8psi on a stock engine.

I would love to get a turbo, but i thought i would need to do a lot of internal work. well it looks like i might be getting one in the near future.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #14
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

above 6psi, you WILL need a tune though, Billy.

Now, for what kind of turbo I used, and what kind of build did I do.....unless you're thinking in terms of 80% drag race and 20% street, I wouldn't recommend following what I'm doing.

I'm using a T70 turbo, but for anyone that is just wanting good street performance, I recommend a T3/T4 hybrid. If you want it quick down low, and slower up top, then go 70, but if you want it slower down low and more legs on top end, then get an 83.

For what all has been done, here's a couple of little threads for you to peruse...
And The Fun Begins
And the Fun Continues.....
Turbo in the final stretch.....
Turbo Install Complete!

Old 01-26-2007, 12:39 AM   #15
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
but for anyone that is just wanting good street performance, I recommend a T3/T4 hybrid.Install Complete![/url]

Thats the exact kind I was looking at before this too
Thanks for the links btw

As for things to make it work though, what changes would I need to make to the intake and such? For instance I know you got a better MAF and a bigger throttle body... but at lower psi like 6-8 which is what I'm looking at, would having such changes be worth it?

I guess what I'm really asking is, what would I all need for a 6-8 psi turbo setup? What would be the COMPLETE parts list for such a turbo application?

BTW I'm not doing this for a good 5 months or more so I just want to get all the information possible before I go ahead with contacting people to fabricate parts and whatnot without the proper information... so if I'm sounding like a noob with all these questions please tell me... It's just that I know almost nothing about turbos through experience and I most certainly don't know much about turboing an Alero.

Last edited by sorrowfulkiller : 01-26-2007 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:11 AM   #16
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

no, at anything under 10psi, I recommend using a stock MAF. You also dont need to spend alot of money on aftermarket intake manifolds, TB or any of that other stuff.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #17
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

Alright thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 11:07 AM   #18
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billytheman1188 View Post
damn i didnt know we could run 6-8psi on a stock engine.

I would love to get a turbo, but i thought i would need to do a lot of internal work. well it looks like i might be getting one in the near future.

the last thing the roads need is you with more power. You can't even follow directions, we still are waiting to see your sisters
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #19
alerored04
GLS member

Like BJ said, all that should really be neccessary is some minor port work. And below 8 psi you wont need even that. The only thing porting will do is smooth out the airflow and make your turbo more efficient. Not gonna harm anything without as long as you keep it mild.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #20
sorrowfulkiller
GX Member

xD Wow, it's just funny how you guys always make fun of billy