Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 08-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #41
dbailey
GL Member

dbailey is an unknown quantity at this point
All I could see behind the power steering pump was a little bit of oil but nothing wet for at least the part you can actually see. Directly below the what I assume is the idler pulley is a nut and directly below that nut is another one that you can only see with a mirror. It is that nut that the fluid is dripping off of.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #42
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
is it nut or a bolt or a bolt/stud with a nut? that accesory bracket has coolant going through it to each head and is attached by 6 bolts. (thee on each head)
Old 08-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #43
dbailey
GL Member

Will go see if I can get a better look at it and tell which it is. May be hard to see it on yours with the pulley still on your water pump and all. For a frame of reference though it is directly below the idler puller below the nut that holds the a/c bracket on.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #44
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
im will to bet that crossover (accessory bracket) gasket is leaking. by the sounds of it its going to have to come apart either way.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #45
dbailey
GL Member

Ater wiping off alot of the gunk under there off it actually looks like it may be leaking from between the block and that nut that holds the a/c bracket on and then just making its way under to that what I think it a nut.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #46
dbailey
GL Member

So radiator fluid flows around that bracket? Is it above the a/c bracket?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #47
dbailey
GL Member

Around the idler pulley?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #48
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

that peice of aluminum your water pump is bolted to goes into the front head and then over to the rear head. theres two metal gaskets (one on each head) sealing it up. if they go bad it wil lcause a leak.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #49
dbailey
GL Member

Best to just leave the water pump pulley and belt off and take it to the mechanic? Don't guess he'd need to start it since it is leaking on its own.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #50
dbailey
GL Member

Looking at alot of labor to replace that gasket?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #51
dbailey
GL Member

of course assuming that is what it is. It coming from somewhere around directly across from the idler pulley though i'm fairly certain of that part.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #52
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

i woudlnt think so. pop the laternator off,get the p/s pump out of your way, then take of like 10 bolts and a couple of hoses and BAM you sir are a father
Old 08-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #53
dbailey
GL Member

Hey big guy I REALLY appreciate you sticking with me on this! You ARE da man! Brutus ain't got nuthin on you! Guess I'll just leave the belt off and loose bolt the pulley back on the water pump and the ratchet dangling from the tensioner and use my AAA towing benny and get it over there in the morning. Thanks so much! I'll let you know what it winds up being by tomorrow afternoon when I better be getting it back!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #54
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

hopfuly thats what it is. theres not much else it can be if the lower intake and the waterpump isnt leaking. good luck. good to talkt to you all day long lol
Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #55
dbailey
GL Member

Same here all day long! LMAO!!!!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #56
dbailey
GL Member

One last question so I know what to tell the mechanic, what is the name of that piece that has the gaskets? The accessory something?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #57
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

i would tell them your guessing its coming from the accessory bracket/ cross over pipe/water pump housing. they will probably pressure test it and verify
Old 08-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #58
dbailey
GL Member

Will do and thanks again. i guess pressurizing it will for sure make it leak more than it is now on its own which is a drip about every few seconds.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #59
dbailey
GL Member

Well got it back today. It was exactly what was suspected. The accessory bracket gasket that goes around the timing chain cover had blown out and it was leaking fluid right around the front coolant jacket by the chain. It is a paper gasket though and I thought it was supposed to be metal? Hmmm....Oh well, will watch it to make sure it is in FACT not leaking anymore. One thing though that it was not doing before I took it to the mechanic is the anti-lock brake light is on now and wasn't before. Kicks a C1274 trouble code I think it is. Mechanic scratching his head because he said he didn't do anything that would have caused the anti-lock brakes to stop working that he can think of. Any ideas? On my way home I locked it up at around 30 mph and no anti-lock brakes. Brakes didn't even lock up. Disconnected the battery and am letting it sit for a bit and will reconnect and see if that resets everything.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #60
dbailey
GL Member

Well crap! Resetting the battery didn't work. Anti-lock brake light still on. Any ideas greatly appreciated.