Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 03-25-2005, 10:42 AM   #21
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by germ@Mar 24 2005, 08:18 PM
1) you can get a turbo kit and run 12 psi (track only, w/ race gas) on a stock engine and get it to hit 12's. you will need to beef up the tranny in order to do it regularly.

2) for the engine mods and turbo setup i have spent MAYBE 1750 and a tranny to hold 12's cost around 1500 installed

3) no off the shelf PCM is going to work, your going to have to spend the loot on a Powertuner from DHP

1) stop wasting money on race gas, seen this first hand on my buddies car, does NOT BOOST HP, it boosts octane for high compression use, he is getting 110 octane off normal pump gas. http://www.importpoweronline.com/catalog/p...products_id=265

2) ok, you got me sold on staying in with the Alero project, I assume at that low of an investment, that you got parts from ebay, and as you said, did alot of work yourself.

3) My GM mechanic recommends HyperTech tuner, have you heard of it, and is it any good, he says it's about $300.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 12:54 PM   #22
germ

1. correct, race gase does not produce HP by itself, BUT with race gas you are able to add timing to give you more HP without causing KR (knock). Race gas also helps reduce KR so you dont loose the timing you already have. it also helps reduce detonation. so in a "back door" kind of way, it really does make HP

and i dont buy race gas. i make my own from Tulene or Xylene which commonly found in most paint sections at most hardware stores.

2. yes, some things are bought on ebay. like a BOV, silicone couplers, IC piping, etc....

3. Hypertech is basically a "boxed" PCM. you can choose from a couple different levels of performance, but you cannot choose what parimeters to change in order to modify your PCM enough to accept boost in ANY form. ONLY the Powertuner and HP Tuners will give you that ability. there are to many things you have to change and you cant do that with the hypertech unit and besides, hypertech doesnt offer anything remotely close to what you would need in order to get your car to run right without blowing up.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:06 PM   #23
sc/alero

^^^^ agreed do not get hypertech not worth the money.
i stand corrected hptuners does not change the gears it aloows you to change perameters to accept the gear change. i guess i should have been a little more specfic i just figued everyone would know what i was talking about my bad.
with what i have done to my car i can run 13.9 or 14.1 up here at 5280 ft.
this year i hope to be in the mid 13s with a few other mods i have done. then i will go back toheartland in october and run it again to see if i can get low 13s there.

and again everyone is going to have their own opions some good and some bad just take it as it maybe
Old 03-25-2005, 03:56 PM   #24
-Alero-
GLS member

-Alero- is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to -Alero-
Germ for president! :thumbsup:
Old 03-25-2005, 04:28 PM   #25
germ

hahah, for president, lol

i dont think i would fit the profile for that one

but thanks anyway.

sc/alero.....

i would think that you would be a little faster than that? how much PSI are you running with the s/c??? what other mods do you have besides the s/c kit? any tranny work?

i am hoping to pull some 12's out of my turbo setup this year (keep in mind, the monte carlo's weigh in at about 3500 lbs!). but i do have quite a few other mods to complement the turbo too.

one thing that i would HIGHLY suggest is getting a high stall torque converter. that thing will make one HELL of a diff. im using a 4000 stall and its still pretty streetable as well.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:59 PM   #26
sc/alero

Quote:
Originally posted by germ@Mar 25 2005, 02:28 PM
hahah, for president, lol

i dont think i would fit the profile for that one

but thanks anyway.

sc/alero.....

i would think that you would be a little faster than that? how much PSI are you running with the s/c??? what other mods do you have besides the s/c kit? any tranny work?

i am hoping to pull some 12's out of my turbo setup this year (keep in mind, the monte carlo's weigh in at about 3500 lbs!). but i do have quite a few other mods to complement the turbo too.

one thing that i would HIGHLY suggest is getting a high stall torque converter. that thing will make one HELL of a diff. im using a 4000 stall and its still pretty streetable as well.
all i have is
liquid intercooler from APOC
headers
slp exhaust
no cat
but remember i am at 5680 1 mile up. when i went to topeka i had a boost leak which didn't help plus there was no wet box to heat the tires up very well.
i am not one to make up excuses but being able to run 13 what ever or low 14's at this altitude i felt was pretty impressive.
i need tranny work that is why i am tring to go with the 4t65e. should make all the difference in the world.
my car weighs 3200 with me in it.
what does yours run currently.
this year the only thing i changed was i got a dhp with the iccu plus i have the hp tuners if i need to do another program. i should get what i need out of it this year. plus i have a guy who is working on making sure the ass end doesn't squat keeping the frt tire from rolling in and lossing contact patch
Old 03-25-2005, 05:23 PM   #27
germ

Quote:
Originally posted by sc/alero@Mar 25 2005, 04:59 PM
what does yours run currently.

well, the fastest i ran last year, and i am not the one to make excuses either, was a 14.0 @ 106 mph

that was with a slipping tranny (197,000 miles, stock)
the crossover had 2 very large cracks from poopty welds and no brace on the turbo (learned my lesson)
and a head gasket that blew 1 run later.

the only mods i had at the time was the turbo, DHP Powertuner, FFP UD pulley, 42.5# injectors, 10 psi

since then i have added....

4000 stall torque converter
tranny w/ 30,000 miles on it
shift kit
ported TB
ported intakes
ported heads
LS1 valve springs
polished valves
walbro 255lph fuel pump

and i will be running at least 12 psi at the track

im shooting for mid 12's
Old 03-26-2005, 12:22 AM   #28
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally posted by germ@Mar 24 2005, 08:28 AM
a pushrod engine is not ment to be a high rev'er.

The issue with the high revving is more likely the transmissions than the engines, the new LS7 V8 doesn't cut fuel until 7100 RPM. That's 600 RPM higher than my Ecotec.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:47 AM   #29
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
ok, so I'm going for a turbo system with ic, BOV and adjustable wg, high flow exhaust, Powertuner (or flexible variation), a cam, ported/polished heads/intake, ported throttle body, and modified or higher grade tranny/converter. Not trying to copy your mods, but if they are proven to achieve the times I'm trying for, why not go for it.

on a budget buying basically single components at a time, in what order would you recommend making those mods?

Old 03-26-2005, 08:40 AM   #30
germ

the high reving might have something to do with your guys tranny's (4t40/45) but for the 4t60, the high rev's are not an issue since the tranny has been mated to the higher revving 3.4 DOHC engine for a long time.

but you CAN run the 3400 to 7000 rpms, its been done before, but im not sure how long they lasted or how often they ran it to 7k

i personally am shooting for 6500'ish rpms.

as for the order of purchases, it really doesnt matter, because they all will need to be bought at some point.

i just bought the big items at first because i had a large chunk of money and wanted to get that out of the way and not have to worry about it. then i slowly bought the smaller stuff as i found good deals on them.

one of the things i would recomend that you do is to determine what kind of boost you want (instant boost roasting tires or major top end and speed) and then buy the turbo.

DO NOT buy a junk yard turbo, but a good rebuilt one or a new one. there is an ebay seller by the name of down2turbo that sells turbos at a really good deal and then there is the infamous ssautochrome. i have bought from ssautochrome and i use a Master Power turbo i bought from him and have had ZERO complaints and everyone said that the turbo i got was HUGE, well its not and has performed flawlessly and provides full boost right at 3000 rpms.

its freaking banana's man
Old 03-28-2005, 12:32 AM   #31
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

alright, sounds to me like I should start with a tranny upgrade first then so I dont trash my original one. A 4t60 would come out of what models, and is that the best one you would consider using, or is that just what was available to you?

I have an '03 GL, so if you could, let me know what modifications will have to be made for the tranny in question...(ie: custom mounts, cabling, wiring, etc.)

Old 03-28-2005, 02:19 AM   #32
-Alero-
GLS member

instead of P&P the TB and UIM / LIM from the 3400 i strongly suggest getting a UIM and LIM from a 3500 (malibu) and P&P the ports from that. also the TB fro mthe 3500 has better/improved linkage, and i believe is a 63 mm or 64 mm, i honestly forget. but yeah, getting the bigger parts and P&P should make a bigger difference. dont forget the gaskets :thumbsup:
Old 03-28-2005, 02:38 AM   #33
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
the 3500 is drive by wire, the 3400 is by cable, so i dont think the 3500 tb will even fit without serious modification
Old 03-28-2005, 03:08 AM   #34
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

hell, sounds like a good place to start though, wonder if it's possible to hybrid the two TB's and come out with cable at the end? cuz even RSM's TB is only 62mm.

I'm not foreigner to custom work in general.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:14 AM   #35
-Alero-
GLS member

hmm, from what i read it worked but, i guess your right. i guess thats how its "improved" linkage.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:30 AM   #36
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by -Alero-@Mar 28 2005, 02:14 AM
hmm, from what i read it worked but, i guess your right. i guess thats how its "improved" linkage.

what was it you read? I'm interested.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:34 AM   #37
-Alero-
GLS member

60 degree v6 website, and me and FormulaNerd talked about it. we tryed to organize a hybrid set up and get those 3 3500 parts on my car. (didnt have time)
Old 03-28-2005, 03:37 AM   #38
-Alero-
GLS member

heres a pic of the 3400 compared to the 3500
http://60degreev6.com/pics/family_tree/20043400.jpg
http://60degreev6.com/pics/family_tree/20043500.jpg
Old 03-28-2005, 03:44 AM   #39
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

so why not just drop in a whole 3500/4t60 setup to start with?

Old 03-28-2005, 03:50 AM   #40
-Alero-
GLS member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackJack@Mar 28 2005, 03:44 AM
so why not just drop in a whole 3500/4t60 setup to start with?

i havent looked into it but i believe that the 3500 (LX9) doesnt have much of an aftermarket like the 3400, even though the 3400 doesnt have a big aftermarket anyway.

but the LX9 is just a bored out version of the LA1 (3400), with only some different externals.

so to tell you the turth i think a turbo from a LA1 could work with a LX9 but i dont recommend it. all it really takes is computer programing i bet