Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Audio, Video & Security

Old 11-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #1
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

violentrapture is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to violentrapture
Ok, I know I'm posting a lot, but I have a lot of questions!

I just purchased a set of CDT HD-62 components. My questions are:

I understand that the front speakers in the Alero are 4x6 - the CDTs are 6.5" round ones - is there some sort of adapter or something I can get to mount the new ones in there or am I going to have to have something custom done up?

Do the little tweeters that come in the component set just swap into where the current tweeters are?

Is there anything in particular that needs to be done with the crossovers? (I'm not familiar with components)

Finally, I have an Audiobahn A2301X amp that I'm planning on powering these with - the only data I can find regarding the specs is 75W x 2 @ 4 ohms (for the amp) - is that going to work ok?

Thanks y'all,
Collin
Old 11-20-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
even though i can't really help with the speaker stuff..

Quote:
Ok, I know I'm posting a lot, but I have a lot of questions!

as long as you keep asking intelligent ones... feel free to, thats what the site if for!

and for the 6.5 speakers.. you will have to do some custom stuff. there is a chance that you window might hit the magnet when its lowered all the way.... anyone else put 6.5 in those spots?? i'm not entirely sure how correct i am.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:42 PM   #3
jamcllw
GLS member

jamcllw is an unknown quantity at this point
I have Infinity 6.5" components in my doors. I put the tweeters where the stock ones were. And the 6.5s where the 4x6s were. There's an adapter made for the 95 cavaliers that turn the opening for the 4x6s to a 6.5s. I've had no issues with the adapters but some people have so it might be hit or miss with yours.
jamcllw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
violentrapture
V.I.P. Member

violentrapture is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to violentrapture
jamcllw - Thanks, I believe I found the correct adapter on Crutchfield... looks like I have to Dynamat my doors now too for some reason. Guess I'll give them a go and see what happens. As an aside - I could find hardly any reviews on these components - are you familiar with them at all? I don't know a lot about CDT, but from what I read they seemed like an ok company.

Cheers,
Collin
Old 11-21-2005, 09:19 PM   #5
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
What is the depth of the CDT speaker? There are very few 6.5's that will fit into the alero due to the limited space between the door panel and window. You will want to confirm the size of the 6.5 as well. There is a difference between low end 6.5 (know as direct aftermarket replacements) and high end 6.5. Sometimes refered to as 6.5S or oversized. The high end measure the 6.5 of the woofer cone while the low end measure the outerbasket. My eclipse and JL are just over 7 inches and will not fit in most 6.5 brackets. From what I have seen, CDT is primarily a high end manufacturer and won't supply to chain stores. I will bet that it is a 6.5S. I believe that max depth I found was 1.5 inches. Do a search on the forum, I know that it has been posted on here before.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:33 PM   #6
kampfer422

sorry i haven't been on this forum lately, my Alero got wrecked and i went back to a Galant. As for the HDs, i am a dealer for CDT so i'll answer your question and any further ones for you. No they won't fit. I've tried to fit them in my alero and ran into a few problems, unless you're willing to cut some metal. For one, the depth is 2.75in which isn't too much of a problem with a spacer, but the cutout diameter is larger than a regular 6.5. The speaker is actually a 6.75 with a cutout of 5.87in. The Cav adaptor IIRC doesn't fit this size. You can opt to make a baffle but for clearance of the door panel, i think you will need to cut some of the metal around the door hole. Also you'll need to figure out mounting holes spots on the door. Also the angling of the door panel will cause some problems with imaging and sound since if you mount it into the door flat the sound will go into the door trim panel, if you mount it angled like the spacer is, you'll definitely need to trim some of the metal.