Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 02-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
Ecotec Simple Low Cost Mods

hey i tried teh search button but it didnt really give me any info

im not building a race car and the ecotec is pretty fast as is, i just want to know some simple mods for the motor like >100 type stuff to make it get better gas and jsut a little more power to accept the abuse of a heavy foot?

Im already looking at an intake

but plugs and other things id love some advice on
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
99alerogirl
Female.

99alerogirl will become famous soon enough
enter ion... NOW

http://sites.google.com/site/aleromodupgrades/
99alerogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
not exactly adding power, but you can gut it. Lighter = faster and removing stuff is usually free.

Exhaust is probably #2 after intake, but that's gonna run you more than a C note. Run 91 octane, that'll cost you less than a hundo for a short period of time
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

i think a cherrybombs gonna be put on, not real power of anyting but i got a good man to do it
Old 02-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
HazMatt24
GLS member

HazMatt24 is on a distinguished road
why???

I got a full cat 2.5" with a 40 Series Flowmaster installed for under $300, and that was with tossing the guy a couple bucks for doing right away when I walked in
1994 Chevy Suburban aka The Zombie Mower 4" Rancho suspension lift 2" body lift. 315/75/16 Mickey Thompson Radial M/Ts 10000K HID 12" JL W3 Subs in custom box 1000W Alpine mono amp 1F capacitor 6.5" JL mids 4X6 Pioneers in dash 450W Alpine 4 channel Dynomax cat & exhaust
2007 Cadillac Escalade EXT chameleon paint, Cadillac 22" wheels
HazMatt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

80 bucks is why withe two dual exit tips
Old 02-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Misuseofyou
GL Member

Misuseofyou is on a distinguished road
mmmmm rice. Who brought soya?
Misuseofyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Vinalero
GLS member

Vinalero is on a distinguished road
Dude, forget about the cherry bomb... Do it right or don't do it, you will regret it.

Intake, Bigger Throttle body, higher octane gas, Removing your Catalytic converter*, Push more air in your tires ( check on the side of your tire and look for max pressure, put that much pressure in your 4 tires), new plugs, Removing weight (Ex. Spare tire and Jack, unwanted things in the trunk, etc...)

Those are all little things that will make your car a bit faster, and save you some MPG

*Which will make your car illegal, throw a SES code, but does give some hp for low cost.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerosaint View Post
the #6 bolt torque..its impossible to get...unless I use telekenesis
Vinalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
Misuseofyou
GL Member

Misuseofyou is on a distinguished road
Its been said here that removing your cat will hurt your MPG, and only gain you a tiny bit of HP.
Misuseofyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Vinalero
GLS member

Thats not what was said. Gutting your cat will put more restriction in your exhaust and could damage your mpg.

Removing the cat will free some hp, which will reduce slightly the mpg, but will be illegal in terms of emissions.

High flow cat is almost the same as no cat in terms of power.

But the stock cat is more restrictive, and you will see a difference :

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...ers/index.html

"The 5hp gained from losing the factory cat for the metallic one is substantial. If the engine were to later receive more extensive mods, the benefits would probably be even greater. What it all boils down to is that a good aftermarket high-flow cat can indeed flow better than a stock unit, and almost as well as a straight pipe. When you can have all the benefits of removing the cat without the risk of getting busted, it's kind of like having your cake and eating it too."

take in consideration that the test car is a Civic, which engine is torqueless. The gains will be different from a car to the other. I'd say bigger or more powerful engine will see bigger gains.
2 door 2000 Black GX With a stick: M45 eaton supercharger - Quad4's 57mm Throttle body - Custom WAI - KYB GR-2 struts - CM Lowering springs - Front and rear strut tower brace - R1 concept zinc plated drilled/slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads - short shifter.

Quote:

Last edited by Vinalero : 02-22-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
loss of backpressure on a stock engine (force induction is different) you car will see negative results
Old 02-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
Vinalero
GLS member

Tubing size of the exhaust gives the most of the back pressure + mufflers.

Of course if you run a straight pipe of the same diameter or bigger directly from the exhaust port, you'll see a substancial low end power loss and nothing much in high rpm.

Quote:
Old 02-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
ugh... misinformation

backpressure is not what things are about. it's about maintaining a certain exhaust velocity, to pull out the combustion gases from the engine. exhaust can't be too restrictive, as air won't flow as much. can't be too big, because air will move too slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroRacing View Post
the ecotec is pretty fast as is
16 second cars are so fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99alerogirl View Post
this would be good if he had the 2.4L, I don't have much on the Eco yet.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #14
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

the boys doing my exhuast for 80 with a cherrybomb are repining it from teh front to the back, split at the very rear, they did my straight 6 on my truck the same way, all other mechanics siad it would make my truck raspy and buzz but in the end it had a nice deep roar to be admired
Old 02-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #15
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

what are the name and numbers for some good plugs for this motor and what could be gutted other then the spare and jack with out being visually noticable
Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #16
Vinalero
GLS member

Thx Ion, just didnt know how to explain this

Quote:
Old 02-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #17
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
NO on the Cherry Bomb. You will regret it. It's a 4 cylinder. Get a Magnaflow or Dynomax Super Turbo (or both, like I have, inline).

Also, it's an engine, not a motor. Engines use fuel and combusion; motors use electricity and magnetism. (Personal peeve, though everyone uses it interchangeably).

What are good plugs? Anything but BOSCH. I only use NGK. NGK TR55 are what you need.

Besides the spare tire and jack, there's nothing you can "gut" without people seeing.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
AbHeLlRaZoR
Canada's Ghost

AbHeLlRaZoR is on a distinguished road
read an ecotec forum like ecotecpower.com or ecotecforum.com there both pretty useful sites for ecotec specific engines but if your looking to spend less than a $100 you have very little to no options. and like Ion says No Cherry Bombs I have a Magnaflow on mine and I love the way it sounds.

Last edited by AbHeLlRaZoR : 02-22-2009 at 07:38 PM.
AbHeLlRaZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #19
[ion] C2
636 whp

www.j-body.org is one of the best forums to find any information on the 2.2L or 2.4L.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #20
99alerogirl
Female.

99alerogirl will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
this would be good if he had the 2.4L, I don't have much on the Eco yet.

yeah, noticed that after i posted
99alerogirl is offline   Reply With Quote