Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 04-26-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
WAI to CAI mod

Ok, I'm looking at my Cosmo and comparing it to the picture of a K&N CAI, the big difference seems to me to be the box trapping cold air from the "Air Duct"

That seems like a pretty easy thing to replicate, given all the space in that area.

Has anyone tried making one before or is any member making a peice like this to sell or is interested?

I'm thinking it might be possible to cut up the factory filter box to trap the air around it, but i don't wanna cut up my factory box, as if by some odd twist of fate I need to put that system back on again.

I'm afraid of fiber glassing, especially in an engine compartment so Im not sure about how to make a home made one.

Currently I have screwed that curved piece of pipe from the factory duct into where it just slid in, becuase it makes it end right by the filter, I did this on the theory it would dump that cold air by the filter and be sucked in.
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute

Connect another elbow of intake tube to make the filter be located in the fenderwell... cold air intake.. done.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
AtomicX
GL Member

AtomicX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AtomicX
.....(sigh)
http://sites.google.com/site/aleromo...einstall-a-cai
Old 04-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

Incase I was unclear about what I mean
Old 04-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
PappaSmurf
GLS member

PappaSmurf is on a distinguished road
Dude,
This is another one of your eff ups. Please try and explain into DETAIL what the hell you are trying to say, or provide pictures with your post. That way maybe some one can decipher what you are truly saying.

However; from what I have read, no this is not the same thing. Your filter would still be in the engine bay collecting warm air, just not as much if you were to have the 'heat shield' attached to the filter.
-Smurf-
PappaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

not as much is a big difference

I can't see figure out where ya'll are actually putting the filter at in the relocation method
Old 04-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
AtomicX
GL Member

Old 04-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

drime, how much air gets there and how do you get the bumper off, (cars at the shop with the ball joint, so i can't run outside and look
Old 04-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
PappaSmurf
GLS member

In the trunk of the car... Read the eff'ing link Atomicx provided...WORD FOR WORD!
-Smurf-
Old 04-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Also you don't have to take off the bumper... lol I never did. Makes things a lot easier though.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
just take out the headlight it gives you access to the big space thats available in the fender well... i have one now it works great. althought it will be gone when the turbo is completed
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaSmurf View Post
In the trunk of the car... Read the eff'ing link Atomicx provided...WORD FOR WORD!
-Smurf-

I did, i didnt understand it, please if you not gonna be helpful, do not read my threads, i dont wanna put you on a ignore list bc you have poste useful things to other members
Old 04-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #13
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

how much air goes through there and how safe is it from the elements, i honestly saw your setup like this in teh searches, but though my idea might be easier
Old 04-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
AtomicX
GL Member

TAKEN WORD FOR WORD FROM

http://sites.google.com/site/aleromo...m-2/air-intake

Bypass Valve
If you're afraid that, with your cold air intake setup, you will inadvertently suck up water and hydrolock your engine, you can purchase the AEM Bypass Valve for peace of mind. What happens is when water begins to suck up the intake piping, the bypass valve opens from sensing the added vacuum, and allows the intake air to be supplied from the engine bay until the cold air intake's filter area is out of water.

Realize that in order to suck up water into your engine, the end of the intake piping must be completely submerged in a pool of water and remain there long enough for it to suck up a massive amount through the piping into the engine. So if you regularly drive through 1.5 feet of water, this is for you.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

i was just reading that, but how much air goes through there
Old 04-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #16
AtomicX
GL Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroRacing View Post
i was just reading that, but how much air goes through there
What do you mean how much air?
Short ram...(Filter can be seen under the hood) takes the air that the engine gives off, which is warm, hence warm air. By having it near the fender it sucks cool air from the outside.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #17
PappaSmurf
GLS member

Aleroracing,
you putting me on your ignore list isn't going to bother anybody but you. Maybe if you would read the postings UNTIL YOU DID understand them, you wouldn't get flamed as much as you do.
-Smurf-
Old 04-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #18
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

well the filter currently is receiving air from the engine compartment and air coming through the duct, i havent seen the workings of the duct or paid enough attention to it to know at the moment, where and how air enter into it at, but i want to know if more air comes into there (like is there an ample even steady air current through there?)
Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 PM   #19
worknprog.99
GLS member

worknprog.99 is on a distinguished road
yes the bumper. it will sit right behind the foglight
worknprog.99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:46 PM   #20
[ion] C2
636 whp

Dude the difference is minimal. WAI, CAI, it all gets heated up when it travels through the piping into the manifold and into the head anyway.