Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #1
seth..

Exclamation Need Some Pointers

Hey guys. im new to aleromod.com but this is what ive been searching for i need help with my two door 02 alero gls with the 2.2L Ecotec engine with an auto tranny . I just need some pointers or tips for a couple hps and some gas mileage types. Thanks a lot for giving me a hand.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
Just look through the old threads in the 2.2 section. There are plenty of threads about this. Also this link may help a little more.

http://sites.google.com/site/aleromodupgrades/

For the gas mileage, check this link out. Most will depend on your driving habits.

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27150
Old 06-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
welcome and look at ecotecforum.com lots of help for sprucing up the L61. and ions gotta do somethin about the ecotec page on there, a billion things for the LD9 and under the L61 he lists Nitrous lol

Last edited by heineck : 06-07-2009 at 04:48 PM.
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Valley olds
GLS member

Valley olds is an unknown quantity at this point
There isnt much for the Eco on the page, but there is a little on the tranny, which will help the car run better.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
seth..

thanks guys i'll give these places a look. any problems i should know about the ecotec engine?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
The early ones have poor oil circulation to the timing chain area, so keep your oil changed often. I sold my 02 eco with 142k and never had a problem, but I always knew when it was time to change the oil because it would take a split second more for the engine to start up once the oil started to get dirty. On fresh oil and healthy ignition, an eco should fire instantly.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #7
seth..

i changed my oil about 2000k ago and its already black i ran sea foam in it before i changed it? possible problems?
Old 06-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
CactusWill
GLS member

Most likely just sludge that broke loose from the seafoam, change it right away and then see what happens to the new oil.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
seth..

ok thanks ill change it as soon as possible
Old 06-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
undersc0re
GX Member

undersc0re is on a distinguished road
If you have the same experience I did, you will change it only to change it again in a short time, but after that it gets back to normal. I guess it loosens up the carbon and sludge everywhere. If I do it again I will use cheap oil 2 times after I do it again, maybe its the fact that I wait 100,000 km to do it....I know its clean in there now anyways, thats all you need is a passage way to a crank or rod bearing blocked...lol
undersc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:29 PM   #11
seth..

hahah that is true
im thinking of doing internals new pistons, rods the whole 10 yards. just not sure if its a smart idea with only 116k on the car
Old 06-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #12
CactusWill
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth.. View Post
hahah that is true
im thinking of doing internals new pistons, rods the whole 10 yards. just not sure if its a smart idea with only 116k on the car

116k on a good running ecotec is just a baby, barely broken in. The question is whether the car itself is worth it. But if you're going to do it, make sure you put in the updated timing chain kit, that will bulletproof the motor, IF done correctly.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #13
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWill View Post
116k on a good running ecotec is just a baby, barely broken in. The question is whether the car itself is worth it. But if you're going to do it, make sure you put in the updated timing chain kit, that will bulletproof the motor, IF done correctly.

im scared of messing with the timing of an engine
Old 06-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #14
leoalero
GX Member

leoalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to leoalero
Welcome to the site,your engine is a beast,so it can be boosted with no problem for the HP question but will not necessary be good on the MPG if u boost,or u can just change your intake and put a good exhaust system on it to deliver some horsepowers,but can a GLS have an ECOTEC in?!?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #15
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
dude the aftermarket is big for the ecotec, lingenfleter made a 1,000plus ecotec block, check out j-body.org and the other forum mention above
my car has the ecotec it sat for 3 yrs, tuned it up, and the only problem i have is a p0402 code no biggie and not to bad, one of the strongest 4 bangers built by GM
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #16
seth..

ive got an aftermarket magnaflow muffler with stock exhaust. what kind of exhaust should i go with? and also whats the best brand for a WAI for the ecotec
Old 06-08-2009, 12:20 AM   #17
leoalero
GX Member

leoalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to leoalero
theres no really best brand for an intake(I think),unless u can plug your sensor in(you have to reach the colder air under the engine bay),its good,theres cheap CAI on ebay,some say its not good some say its nice,your choice,on mine I have the whole pacesetter system and sounds good,gives also some more power!!
Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #18
seth..

how much does the full pacesetter set up cost. ive heard bad things about their headers?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #19
Cliff8928

Cliff8928 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Cliff8928 Send a message via AIM to Cliff8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoalero View Post
but can a GLS have an ECOTEC in?!?

Nope, they only models with the Ecotec would be a GX with auto or manual, GL1 with auto only, or a GL2 with manual only for '02.

Canada is slightly different, but still all the GLS models were V6s.
2004 Corvette Convertible M6
1994 Chevy Beretta - Quad4/M5
Cliff8928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #20
seth..

i was never really sure what type it was haha. always thought it was a gls haha. and man do i wish i had the 3400