Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 09-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
Newlin
GX Member

Newlin is on a distinguished road
Air Intake

I just wanted to make sure this was compatible with my Alero before I went ahead and ordered it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-99-05-G...62e4a8&vxp=mtr
Old 09-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
colonel6632
Premier V.I.P. Member

colonel6632 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to colonel6632
no. says its for a v6 in the title

2005 Silverado 2500HD w/ 6.0l Vortec 4L80E
Tuned 6.0l, exhaust, intake, with 450000km on the odometer. Tow Rig

1985 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/ 5.7 Vortec 700r4
mild vortec 350 with 4 speed auto. performance suspension. factory gold color. project car
colonel6632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PONTIAC-GRAN...7aebed&vxp=mtr
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
Newlin
GX Member

Thank you much
Old 09-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
no problem.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Newlin
GX Member

Is this the K&N filter that would fit the intake?

http://www.amazon.com/RF-1042-Univer...26n+air+filter
Old 10-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

you gotta get one that has the same diamter inlet to fit on your intake. best idea to do is just go to an auto store.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
If you want a K&N filter, wait until you get the intake, then measure the intake piping and the size of the filter (height) and buy a K&N from those measurments.

You'll want to install the intake and see if maybe you can get slightly larger, but I would probably just buy one of equal size

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Newlin
GX Member

That makes a lot of sense...I feel slightly less intelligent now It should be here today but I haven't made it home yet.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
You should have gotten a coupler to get rid of the silencer that is on the TB
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
Newlin
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
You should have gotten a coupler to get rid of the silencer that is on the TB

Explain?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
Math-u
GX Member

Math-u is an unknown quantity at this point
@_@.....the black lookin box right infront of the engine.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #13
Newlin
GX Member

Can those be easily found separately from the intake? I'm searching around ebay a bit and it doesn't seem like they are. Either that or I'm dense,very possible.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
@mgaw23
GX Member

@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute@mgaw23 has a reputation beyond repute
i have this same cold air and it works very good and yes a k&n filter is easy to find

2003 alero 2.2 ecotec tinted windows, cold air intake, strut bar, full pacesetter exhaust, HID lights, grill mesh, brembro brakes, kicker l7, chipped and more but looking for more mods i would like to keep my car luxury, clean and a head turner.
i do auto detailing so my car is always spotless [SIGPIC]
@mgaw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Thats a warm air intake. it will help but if you really want to make a difference pipe it all the way down. and about the best thing you can do for the 2.2 is take off that damn black box right on top of the throttle body, its extremely restrictive. I got an ebay intake then a elbow piece from autozone to make mine.
also, about any intake for the 2.2 will work, doesnt HAVE to be alero specific. as long as it looks about like whats in the pic.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #16
Newlin
GX Member

I've got the basic intake in, it just looks like I may have to do what you did and grab an elbow piece to get rid of the black box there. It looks like you just got a 90 degree elbow and fastened that directly to the ebay intake? If so this should be relatively easy. I think there are two additional sensors that go into it though. I assume I'd have to drill out holes for those.

I haven't looked at it real closely but is there a how-to on removing that? I haven't come across any yet.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #17
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
i don't think any sensors, there is a vacuum hose and the pcv hose which you could do as he did for the pcv port and put the little filter on it all that is for is to release some of the pressure from under the valve cover
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
RalphP
GX Member

RalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond reputeRalphP has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
i don't think any sensors, there is a vacuum hose and the pcv hose which you could do as he did for the pcv port and put the little filter on it all that is for is to release some of the pressure from under the valve cover

There's three things wrong with that.

1) It's the INTAKE for the PCV system. The PCV valve is what releases the pressure (as it sucks the fumes into the intake).

2) By not piping it in behind the MAF, you've introduced an unknown amount of air into the intake, thereby bleeding in air that the ECU doesn't know about (didn't go past the MAF), thereby potentially causing performance issues.

3) That is STILL a warm air intake, being as how the intake sucks the hot air off then engine instead of the cooler air under the fender.

But eh. Whatever floats your boat.

I'd PERSONALLY opt for removing the silencer under the fender (it's there to help quiet the sound), and use a high quality panel filter. Besides, are you SURE that THAT'S the restriction? I mean, there's some cars that run a whopping 1 to 2 HP by swapping to a cold air intake .. which *ahem* is within the tolerancing for a back to back pair of dyno pulls.

RwP
RalphP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #19
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Ya. Just a 90 degree elbow. I made a hole in the rubber coupling, then culked around it for the little air hose. The then put a breather on the valve cover so there was no extra hose.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #20
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
There's three things wrong with that.

1) It's the INTAKE for the PCV system. The PCV valve is what releases the pressure (as it sucks the fumes into the intake).

2) By not piping it in behind the MAF, you've introduced an unknown amount of air into the intake, thereby bleeding in air that the ECU doesn't know about (didn't go past the MAF), thereby potentially causing performance issues.

3) That is STILL a warm air intake, being as how the intake sucks the hot air off then engine instead of the cooler air under the fender.

But eh. Whatever floats your boat.

I'd PERSONALLY opt for removing the silencer under the fender (it's there to help quiet the sound), and use a high quality panel filter. Besides, are you SURE that THAT'S the restriction? I mean, there's some cars that run a whopping 1 to 2 HP by swapping to a cold air intake .. which *ahem* is within the tolerancing for a back to back pair of dyno pulls.

RwP

ecotec doesn't have a MAF so you can delete that from your list of issues, nobody said it wasn't warm air intake
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote