Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 11-15-2004, 01:52 PM   #1
gxryan

My car since i bought it has been making less and less mileage, I'm just kinda curious what everyone else with the Ecotec is making. If you have any mods please post them when u say what mileage you are making. (Isn't there a difference between american and canadian mileage) ohwell either way if ppl could post that would be awesome.

Oh and one other question how can you test you MAF sensor?

I'm making about 40 mpg at tops right now completely highway driving like a old man. but any normal highway driving is about 36 which I am not to impressed with but my friend told me his sisters ecotec sunfire never made more then that.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:03 PM   #2
MikeSS
V.I.P. Member

MikeSS is an unknown quantity at this point
I once calculated my MPG without mods and I was getting about 25MPG combined city and highway which isn't very good.....A lot of my travel time is in stop and go traffic though
1996 Camaro Y87 - Gone
2003 Alero 2.2L GX 5-Spd - 15.21 @ 88.21 - Gone
MikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
2000NavyAleroGLS

I see why you are complaining. I have a Alero GLS with a 3.4, have a borla exhaust and I am getting pretty close to 41mpg. I am not exactly grandpa driving on the highway either.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:05 PM   #4
gxryan

lol see thats weird, my buddies 3.4 Grand am has NEVER made more then 36.

and yeah cobined around town and HWY i get about 27 on avg.

but yeah there should be NO way a 3.4 should be getting more mileage then a ecotec but maybe thats just me that thinks that
Old 11-15-2004, 03:10 PM   #5
2000NavyAleroGLS

Ya I find that wierd too. I know of two other people that have Alero's around here and they seem to get about 39mpg too. With the borla I could see that it could give me a little better gas mileage but not a huge difference.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:31 PM   #6
gxryan

hmmm maybe I am just calculating mine way off to,

like my last trip i put 300kms on 21L's of gas.
that was with a full car load. which works out to like 39mpg
Old 11-15-2004, 08:08 PM   #7
mikegett
GL Member

Location: connersville, Indiana (don't ask, it's not worth it)
mikegett is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mikegett
It will help to specify if you are using a metric conversion. Some one in the US may be thinking it is MPG and not Klm per Liters. Your liters and Klm's would equal up to a 33.6 mpg average. Not bad. This is about my average with a 3.4 liter in the summer. I did notice that this was only about 5.4 gallons. In order to get a better average you should let the car go down by 3/4s of the tank. The weight ratio and various driving conditions will give a better idea of the average. It will need to be noted that climates and driving conditions will alter it as well. In the winter I only get around 26 Miles per gallon. I have also noted that medium grade fuel will always give a higher return over 87. Paying the added 1.40 at the pump seems to be worth it. I have also seen a difference in companies. Shell is the large supplier in my area. However, BP and Co-op seem to yield a much higer return than Shell. I average 27 with shell 91. BP 91 gives me a mid to low thirties under the same conditions. I am not dispeased with the alero. But I do think there is a large room for improvement. MY 98 honda coupe had 200 horse. It averaged 36 Miles to the gallon and barely fluxuated in the winter. I believe the lowest recording I had was 28 with alot of city driving in temperatures under freezing.
mikegett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:23 PM   #8
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
i get 180 miles on 12 gallons
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:53 PM   #9
2000NavyAleroGLS

Quote:
Originally posted by mikegett@Nov 16 2004, 01:08 AM
It will help to specify if you are using a metric conversion. Some one in the US may be thinking it is MPG and not Klm per Liters. Your liters and Klm's would equal up to a 33.6 mpg average. Not bad. This is about my average with a 3.4 liter in the summer. I did notice that this was only about 5.4 gallons. In order to get a better average you should let the car go down by 3/4s of the tank. The weight ratio and various driving conditions will give a better idea of the average. It will need to be noted that climates and driving conditions will alter it as well. In the winter I only get around 26 Miles per gallon. I have also noted that medium grade fuel will always give a higher return over 87. Paying the added 1.40 at the pump seems to be worth it. I have also seen a difference in companies. Shell is the large supplier in my area. However, BP and Co-op seem to yield a much higer return than Shell. I average 27 with shell 91. BP 91 gives me a mid to low thirties under the same conditions. I am not dispeased with the alero. But I do think there is a large room for improvement. MY 98 honda coupe had 200 horse. It averaged 36 Miles to the gallon and barely fluxuated in the winter. I believe the lowest recording I had was 28 with alot of city driving in temperatures under freezing.
It would also help if you looked at where we are from. Canada. And I almost always use 92 octane fuel. I'm not sure about the other people I asked but they probably use regular which is 89 here. This was recorded recently with temperatures down at about -10 to -15C.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:47 PM   #10
bigd6983

lol im with you formula, not that bad but close......
Old 11-16-2004, 09:43 AM   #11
gxryan

Well yeah i know it's not horrible but I'd like to think my car could make mid 40's. Cause when I first got it I moved from Grande Prairie Alberta back to saskatchewan and I made close to 48 mpg (I think that was using canadian metric conversion or w/e) Which was great but yeah that was also, 15 hrs of straight driving only stopping to fill up. But my car was also full of crap.

I dunno I guess I just expected more from my ho. But it seems like I am getting about average. (not so impressed that NavyAleroGLS is making like better mileage then me with his 3.4) lol but ohwell. Guess it could be how i drive it.

But yeah like u said mike thats about average for a 3.4 I drive an ecotec :unsure:
Old 11-16-2004, 11:02 AM   #12
brsexton
V.I.P. Member

brsexton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brsexton
Mine gets pretty good. One year I took it to the beach, and I got 36MPG with the AC on the entire time and not driving so good. Around the city, I still seem to get ok. In the winter, it is not that great Hwy or city. But its still better then my girlfriends Suzuki Esteem which has a smaller motor...
Old 11-16-2004, 11:26 AM   #13
Final-Reality

You people put too much faith in that sticker on the window when you buy the car. Your mileage will vary GREATLY with your driving conditions. 41mpg with a 3400? It's possible (maybe...) if you're doing mainly freeway driving at ~60-70mph, and the reduced-backpressure exhaust system will actually help mileage. If you're driving in the city, and always in a hurry, then your mileage will plummet to half of that, no matter what engine is in your car...
Old 11-16-2004, 12:11 PM   #14
doubleN0alero
They call me 8 point!!

doubleN0alero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to doubleN0alero Send a message via Yahoo to doubleN0alero
Hell, I jump for joy when I get anything over 20mpg... if i ever got 41, i think i'd have a mess in my pants
Old 11-16-2004, 01:00 PM   #15
2000NavyAleroGLS

Thats what I calculated. 41mpg. Yes it was all highway driving at 117km/h with cruise control on, no load in the vehicle, and double laned so not having to speed up to pass people.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:41 PM   #16
gxryan

yeah, my 48mpg was on the divided going 110-130 through the mountains.

(any possible way that could have something to do with like thinner air up there or something???)

Like I wouldent be complaining but I am curious as to why I was making better mileage and now i'm not and this has happened even before it got cold out.

and if my ever made worse then 20 I'd be driving my car through the window of the nearest GM dealership telling them to take there piece of **** car and shove it.

My dads 91 Dodge with a 318 V8 makes more then 20mpg.

but u probly got alot of stuff done to ur car and alot of city driving double0alero
Old 11-16-2004, 02:50 PM   #17
2000NavyAleroGLS

Quote:
(any possible way that could have something to do with like thinner air up there or something???)
Up high in the mountains would probably give you worse mileage if the car is not used to being there. When you come out of the mountains the car should perform a little better due to being out of high elevation.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:54 PM   #18
Vtolds
H&B Shipping Agent

Vtolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Vtolds
Some of you guys must grandpa your cars around becuase my 2.4 with a intake a muffler only get about 22 mpg. How does that sit in your guys pockets? at a average of 220 miles I do a week I spend a bit ove$20.00 USD on gas in 7 days.
Vtolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:00 PM   #19
2000NavyAleroGLS

That was all highway miles there that I did. In town my mileage drops down to probably 15 with the way I drive. Get about on average 300-350km to a tank. And spending $20 on gas a week. I wish. Try spending between 35 and 40 a week, all the time to get the tank 3/4 full.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #20
gxryan

I wonder what i spend a week accually I don't even pay attention.

I've spent about 60 bucks on gas so far this month and my tanks almost empty, so by the time i fill that up and finish the month i'll have spent about 100 bucks.