Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > L61 2.2L Ecotec Specific

Old 05-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #41
alero_ecotec
Special Agent

alero_ecotec is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ Snorke thinger.....what???????????????????????
Old 05-10-2005, 03:58 PM   #42
Crolero

i think he ment the stock rubber intake tubing (thing-a-ma-jigy).
Old 05-10-2005, 10:53 PM   #43
gxryan

Yeah that thinger,
Old 05-11-2005, 12:41 AM   #44
BLK03GXS
GLS member

BLK03GXS is an unknown quantity at this point
The tuner tube>?

BLK03GXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 01:43 PM   #45
Alero04

Quote:
Originally posted by GXsport@Jan 1 2005, 08:05 PM
Has anyone with the ecotec noticed a big decrease in MPG when the car is due (or overdue) for an oil change? I have found that when my car is fresh off of an oil change, the highway mileage is up around 35-40, while when the car is about 3,000-3,500 miles into a batch of oil, the efficiency drops down to 30 in the same driving conditions. Just seems strange to me.

hrmm...maybe i should change my oil
Old 05-18-2005, 12:04 AM   #46
treekiller

25-27 around town 35 on the highway if I granny it and lock the curise on 70 i can get 37-40mpg but this is not realistic since i usually am driving much more agressivly then that... over 30,000 miles with mostly stop and go or short trips i see adverage 26mpg. my car is running perfect. and mileage and performance do not differ from 87-94 octane. so most of the 30,000 is done on 87.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:11 PM   #47
gxryan

LOL okay so no one is gonna believe me but well I just gotta tell u guys anyways.

280km's 14L's of gas.

by my dads math that works out to like 56MPG. I'm not exactly sure it thats rite but i'm pretty sure it's close.

oh and I had a 60-80km/hr tail wind the ENTIRE way LOL

but still :-)
Old 05-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #48
Alero04

actually...when i went to halifax in the fall...i filled up here and cost 40 bucks...hali is between 400-500 kms from here...and if i didnt fill up at half full in some nowhere town...i coulda made it with id say prolly 1/4 tank left...maybe a bit more (and that including getting lost)...now i thought that was good but i dunno
but lately my gas mileage sucks donkey as*
Old 07-10-2005, 03:47 PM   #49
gre0481

I'm Currently getting approx. 27mpg stop and go and 35 hwy.

I have a 2.2l ecotech. I have no mods.

My highway driving usually entails 80 to 90mph.

Your mileage will plummet if you're a hard braker.
My car gets it's best mileage after a fresh oil change. My car thrives on new oil. Make sure to change your filter at every oil change. It's good to check your airfilter too. the manual recommends 15.000 check, by I check mine every 10. If it's clogged or filled with dirt and debris, change it. It give the acdelco code right on the air box. I'm going with a K & N for my next change, that's only because you can clean and recharge it. The paper filters don't really hold up to that. If you can't afford a paper filter (rough 7 usd) you could shake it out or blow it out with an airhose. But I recommend just replacing the air filter.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:03 PM   #50
Whitetigerboi83
V.I.P. Member

Whitetigerboi83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via MSN to Whitetigerboi83 Send a message via Yahoo to Whitetigerboi83
ALL this talk about gas milage .. i got a 2002 2.2 ecotech i love my car i get between 35-40 miles per gallon i dont put anything but low grade becasue thats what the owners manual sayd to put in it i havent had anyproblems.. i also have a k&n airfilter on it i dont grandpa my car either some days i i drive maybe 10mph over the speed some days i drive 25 over the speed i do notice a big difference in hot days and colder days and sitting in traffic to no traffic but with gas at $2.15-2:30 a gallon here in michigan i put an avg of $26-30 once a week in my car.. i'm happy for that i was driving a truck at $46-50 a week on gas if not more.... but thats my end ( I HATE DETROIT TRAFFIC/CONSTRUCTION)
Old 08-07-2005, 11:42 PM   #51
walley

Dumb question:
Has anyone figured the fact that a major altitude change may affect it a little? I don't know if it effects gas mileage but I do know it effects power since air density changes at higher altitudes.

I average 25-27 MPG in a lot of stop and go traffic. I'm also at 3200-3400 ft above sea level. I havent had it on the highway yet but I plan on a trip to Southern Cali for a family reunion in a week. Maybe I'll find out then. 40 MPG is making me rethink the money I need to have for the trip. Hopefully I can do that good.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:41 AM   #52
gre0481

Quote:
Originally posted by walley@Aug 7 2005, 11:42 PM
Dumb question:
Has anyone figured the fact that a major altitude change may affect it a little? I don't know if it effects gas mileage but I do know it effects power since air density changes at higher altitudes.

I average 25-27 MPG in a lot of stop and go traffic. I'm also at 3200-3400 ft above sea level. I havent had it on the highway yet but I plan on a trip to Southern Cali for a family reunion in a week. Maybe I'll find out then. 40 MPG is making me rethink the money I need to have for the trip. Hopefully I can do that good.

I imagine your gas mileage will improve once hitting the highways.
I drove from So Cal to michigan in 3 days; I chose the sotuhern route (I-5 to 405 to the 40) Instead of the more nothern route to avoid the altitude and mountainous terrain. I got excellant mileage on california highways. Only suffered a little on a friday or sunday rush, or when the Immigration check point got backed up.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:02 AM   #53
slalomking
GX Member

slalomking is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, you guys w/ the over 30 MPGs (English units) should be estatic. My bone stock GL1 Ecotec w/ auto gets a rock steady 21.6-21.8 MPG in an 80/20 mix of suburban / interstate driving. Yes, I do 80 MPH on the interstate...but as an experiment, I held it to 65 for several weeks, and dismally found the MPG went 'up' from 21.6 to 21.9. Big deal.

I do all the maintainance stuff that helps MPGs...filters...oil, air pressure..yada yada....

I took it twice to the dealership. Ist time they said they replaced an electronic module or two and said 'it seems to run better'.

No change. Took it back.

THEN they showed me some reviews off the net from (as I recall) either Consumer Reports or Edmunds.com. The reviews were for an Ecotec auto Grand Am, getting...you guessed it...21.8 MPG.

They smiled, said 'your car is FINE', and handed the keys back to me.
Bastards.

So the obvious question is....how are you guys getting 30-40 MPG? I find this astounding, and frankly, something is not adding up w/ my car.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:48 AM   #54
alero_ecotec
Special Agent

alero_ecotec is an unknown quantity at this point
i have no idea how people are getting 30-40 MGP....but if i drive hard i get around 25.....if i drive a little more conservative i might get 28 or so
Old 10-26-2005, 02:06 PM   #55
gxryan

well those #'s in high 30-40's are pure highway

on a 50/50 tank highway and around town I make about 24.

my last tank i just did had about 420km's and 45 litres.
170km's highway and 250 around town.

so do the math i guess...

mines also a manual....
i dunno i'm still not impressed with that mileage.
some people mite be using the american conversion instead of the english or whatever so that probly is why the numbers are so different.

I dunno the first time my car makes less then 20mpg. I'm pretty sure i'm gonna smash it into something and get it written off.

I dunno it's a 4 cylinder it should be doing better then the 3.4 so when someone with the 3.4 makes better mileage then you. I'd say there is something wrong with ur car.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #56
Mischief007
GL Member

Mischief007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Mischief007
The highest I hit was 34 MPG (US) when driving on back roads. My last tank got 23 MPG. Mostly city and some on the highway in excess of 140 km/h.

I guess some of you really want great gas mileage. And yes I found the car looses some power coming up on an oil change.

The car has 78,700 km right now.
Mischief007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:21 PM   #57
merlot566jka

well i have full exaust, header, hi flow cat, and a flowmaster, and a new intake(not the one on my cardomain) and i get 27mpg in the city and 33 hiway. on 94octane i get 35 mpg hiway. but in the summer its less, and winter more, obviously. so the guy with 21mpg...that sux dood, i dont know what to tell you, get a k&n, coolant flush, tranny flush, and oil cleaner/change, fuel system cleaner, and see if that does anything. other than that you have emissions systems problems..good luck man
Old 01-16-2006, 06:50 PM   #58
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by slalomking@Oct 25 2005, 07:02 AM
Wow, you guys w/ the over 30 MPGs (English units) should be estatic. My bone stock GL1 Ecotec w/ auto gets a rock steady 21.6-21.8 MPG in an 80/20 mix of suburban / interstate driving. Yes, I do 80 MPH on the interstate...but as an experiment, I held it to 65 for several weeks, and dismally found the MPG went 'up' from 21.6 to 21.9. Big deal.

I do all the maintainance stuff that helps MPGs...filters...oil, air pressure..yada yada....

I took it twice to the dealership. Ist time they said they replaced an electronic module or two and said 'it seems to run better'.

No change. Took it back.

THEN they showed me some reviews off the net from (as I recall) either Consumer Reports or Edmunds.com. The reviews were for an Ecotec auto Grand Am, getting...you guessed it...21.8 MPG.

They smiled, said 'your car is FINE', and handed the keys back to me.
Bastards.

So the obvious question is....how are you guys getting 30-40 MPG? I find this astounding, and frankly, something is not adding up w/ my car.

I hear ya, I get roughly 18-20 MPG depending. 22-24 MPG if I REALLY grandpa it around... I too took it into the dealership with the same basic result...NOTHING. Same with the other four things that I took it in for...worthless GM dealers...I could probably go on for days about them... I just gave up and figure I will have to build my own car to get it how I want it. From the brake system which I plan on replacing from pads to calipers to accumulator...everything, to the suspension, engine...I guess since they can't do anything about it, I will.

But honestly, I am stumped just like you...I do live at about 4500 ft if that makes any difference... I keep up on all maintenance oil changes, filter changes, tire pressure checks, etc. I don't worry about it to much though as I was getting 8-10 out of my truck...
Old 01-16-2006, 09:46 PM   #59
gre0481

Unfortunately, my car is now getting 25 mpg.

this is after adding my 18" chrome rims. They're steel, so the weight explains it a bit.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #60
Alero2k4
GL Member

Alero2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by gre0481@Jan 16 2006, 07:46 PM
Unfortunately, my car is now getting 25 mpg.

this is after adding my 18" chrome rims. They're steel, so the weight explains it a bit.

Crazy thing is, I BARELY saw a difference when I took of my 18's for the winter...BARELY...like non existent.