Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LD9 2.4L Twin Cam Specific

Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #181
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
OK, so it's not leaking anything right now, correct?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #182
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Right. As far as I can tell, it's good to go. I will pick it up for good sometime this week and break it in and do minor things in the next few weeks:
  • wire up coolant LED
  • rewire fuse panel mess
  • weld extended metal fitting on turbo feed to prevent hose cracking
  • weld additional exhaust hanger behind v-band under car
  • fix side skirt rust
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #183
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
lol I'm proud to be a little part of the project ; the guy of the sideskirts !!
I did not thought about a coolant led with my custom cluster... that could be awesome to do!!
Thanks for the idea..
I'll also do one with the winshield washer level sensor , I'll use the tank as a methanol reservoir !!!

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/

Last edited by guiguilandry : 03-28-2012 at 01:43 PM.
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #184
turboalero
GX Member

turboalero is on a distinguished road
Congrads post some dyno pulls when u get a chance. Wanna c what a Tru built ld9 can do
turboalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #185
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't go on the dyno. All that matters is how it performs, not what numbers it supposedly makes. Track time tells you the real numbers. And I'm realistically looking for 11.9 - 12.4.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #186
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
I don't go on the dyno. All that matters is how it performs, not what numbers it supposedly makes. Track time tells you the real numbers. And I'm realistically looking for 11.9 - 12.4.

thats still fast...
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #187
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You wouldnt even go just to get a dyno tune? to get it zeroed in?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #188
[ion] C2
636 whp

Just for tuning I might. It's hard to dyno an automatic, it wants to downshift. Can't keep it in 3rd unless you actually are doing around 80MPH.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #189
Philbar71
GL Member

Quote:
Just for tuning I might. It's hard to dyno an automatic, it wants to downshift. Can't keep it in 3rd unless you actually are doing around 80MPH.

What about doing a pull in 2nd from 38 to 80ish (or wherever the hell it shifts in to third). Would that work? Why does the pull have to be in 3rd?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #190
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
3rd is 1:1 ratio, aka direct link to motor. I remember my 2.4 doing that. WOT around 70 and that thing would stay in 2en to 86mph if you let it.
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #191
falloutboy
GL Member

falloutboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Thats something the dyno guy should know. If not, don't go there.
Getting an accurate dyno reading on a automatic car is difficult and takes way longer to accomplish than with a manual.
But since your in the US everyone drives automatic and so the dyno guy should now how to "drive" the car to get an accurate reading.
1979 350SB Chevrolet Camaro Project Thread
1995 Chrysler Stratus LX
1999 3.4L Oldsmobile Alero (resource page)
2002 Nissan Primera with CVT
falloutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #192
Philbar71
GL Member

Hmm, yeah. We took my dads truck to get dynoed and the dyno guy put it in second with the shifter on the column and made the pull from 40MPH up to the redline. Seemed to work fine.

I had just assumed thats the way most all automatics with 4 gears would work. Just seems like to me that, 3rd is a little too long. Plus you would hit the speedlimiter before you hit the redline in 3rd.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #193
guiguilandry
Premier V.I.P. Member

guiguilandry is on a distinguished road
lol @ the speed limiter... you made me laugh, it is not a concern for him so yep, better be in third for the 1 : 1 ratio

www.demonautosport.ca
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941359
http://demonautosport.monchar.com/
guiguilandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #194
[ion] C2
636 whp

Speed limiter, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy View Post
Thats something the dyno guy should know. If not, don't go there.
Yeah, everyone knows. You just do the pull at the speed the car is usually at in 3rd gear at WOT so the car doesn't downshift automatically. Forcing a gear in HPTuners does not do anything that putting the shifter in 3 would do. (And that just limits the maximum gear, it does not keep it from shifting to 2nd).

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy View Post
But since your in the US everyone drives automatic
Umm, no they don't. Very, very rarely is there a car on the dyno that isn't manual.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #195
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbar71 View Post
Hmm, yeah. We took my dads truck to get dynoed and the dyno guy put it in second with the shifter on the column and made the pull from 40MPH up to the redline. Seemed to work fine.

I had just assumed thats the way most all automatics with 4 gears would work. Just seems like to me that, 3rd is a little too long. Plus you would hit the speedlimiter before you hit the redline in 3rd.

thats on thing I hated, you could never get to 4th with the pedal all the way down.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #196
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rad17 View Post
thats on thing I hated, you could never get to 4th with the pedal all the way down.

i wish the thing would shift instead of just chilling out at 6000rpm
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #197
[ion] C2
636 whp

Drove it home tonight. I hate taking a car for the first few drives in the rain. Even more so in the dark. It becomes extremely difficult to tell when things are leaking, or smoking, etc. And if you do have a problem, you're getting rained on and can barely see what's wrong.

Now that I've driven it more than 5-10 minutes and farther than 1/8 mile, I can definitely tell that the vibration is excessive. And the noise is much higher than it should be. Has to be an exhaust leak somewhere (besides the muffler that's mostly duct tape).

I'll check tightness on everything tomorrow morning in the effing daylight when it's not raining.

It seems to be okay otherwise... coolant temperature appears great (down to 181 when cruising).. oil is staying in it... trans fluid I'm not sure, everything is so effing wet right now with spillage of said fluids, and rain, but the trans temp stayed nice and cool and it appeared to shift okay.. so hopefully it's all fine.. assuming I can fix the vibration/noise, it should be perfect in every way for once.

It's more than likely an exhaust leak. Pretty sure I heard a decent sized one when I first started it up (when it was sunny and dry out so I can see and hear things well) and after I had it idling after driving.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #198
kwhauck
2Screwy

kwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond reputekwhauck has a reputation beyond repute
At least you are driving it!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #199
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

I hope to hell its an easy fix. after all the work you've done.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #200
[ion] C2
636 whp

Yeah the feel/sound of it seems like it's the v-band from downpipe to the rest of the exhaust. When I think back to when I tightened that v-band, pretty sure it was misaligned.

Also, the gasket that used to be in it is gone... lol. In fact I'm almost certain that's what this is. I removed the gasket completely after seeing that it deteriorated. Surfaces are uneven, probably clamped wrong too. I'll sand both surfaces smooth and copper spray and re-connect it.. til I get a new gasket maybe.

And yeah, at least it does drive. Going to Midas ASAP to have my exhaust tweaked a bit to reduce stress on the system. (Adding exhaust hanger in one spot, and adding more pipe to eliminate rearward pull on my downpipe)