Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > Aleromod.com Showcase

Old 04-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Mmmm....

Just glad to have it back and running great (and super cool)....

[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
video?
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Of it running? Yeah here.

I can't drive it quick yet. And I still need to replace my rear muffler which is more duct tape than metal, so it has a deathly annoying ricer drone when I'm at 2-3k RPM...
Old 04-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Of it running? Yeah here.

I can't drive it quick yet. And I still need to replace my rear muffler which is more duct tape than metal, so it has a deathly annoying ricer drone when I'm at 2-3k RPM...

thats good enough, I want to it go zoom zoom
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
[ion] C2
636 whp

Bought a new turbo muffler, going on tomorrow. Switching to single side exhaust.

Also I found a bolt on my turbo manifold that wasn't even tightened. Wow I am retarded. lol

Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Hellfire5670
GL Member

Hellfire5670 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Bought a new turbo muffler, going on tomorrow. Switching to single side exhaust.

Also I found a bolt on my turbo manifold that wasn't even tightened. Wow I am retarded. lol

i did that with the 7m at my buddies... i caught it before we tried starting it the first time..
Hellfire5670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Philbar71
GL Member

Philbar71 is on a distinguished road
What muffler is that a dynomax? Or something else?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

thrush turbo (nearly identical to dynomax, and even owned by same company)
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
bushmanalero
GX Member

bushmanalero is on a distinguished road
hey ion post a pic of the muffler installed please because i had a DynaMax VT that was similar to that but was told by two different shops that it would not fit so i went with a camaro-style muffler that the shop had on hand. that's a cool looking muffler btw man
bushmanalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
fisdad
I do what I want to Sheep & Goats

fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad fisdad
[quote='[ion] C2;613395']

Just glad to have it back and running great (and super cool)....

OMG I'm thinking dirty thoughts!! That is a beautiful thing!
fisdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Needs moar wire tuck
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

later when i'm bored (years to come)

also most of my manifold bolts were loose, fail, lol. i wonder if i torqued them down originally... i remember doing a few to start with... and yeah, a few were 100% tight.. damn i was tired when i installed it
Old 04-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
[ion] C2
636 whp

I made a video with some old pictures and videos I had:

Old 04-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #14
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

I love the hiss on as that thing blows off... now lets see her with the new build
Old 04-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
rocketfast321
GL Member

rocketfast321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
later when i'm bored (years to come)

also most of my manifold bolts were loose, fail, lol. i wonder if i torqued them down originally... i remember doing a few to start with... and yeah, a few were 100% tight.. damn i was tired when i installed it

This ain't Christine It wont fix itself.
Baby Sandy: 2001 2.4 Grand Am se 1.5 (auto) 32k-119k : Sept.2002-Aug.2010
Mickey: 2001 Alero GL 2.4 5-speed (Nov. 2010) 109k-???
rocketfast321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

This is what I wanted done:

Wow. So I went to my usual Midas that welds stuff for me for cash on the cheap. They were insanely busy and said I could come back Thurs/Fri (okay, tolerable, I'm off Friday and can come by).

I go to the next closest Midas, and I show them a diagram I drew of what the exhaust looks like and what I want to do (cut out a section of pipe and put in a new flexpipe and a hanger to reduce stress on my turbo manifold). They ask me where the catalytic converter is on the drawing. I told them I don't have one. And then he said they can't do exhaust work on a car that doesn't have a cat. I was like "okay well the other Midas never has a problem with it. I was never here." and he's like "Sorry."

So I head to the Midas by my apartment. These guys are retarded as eff. I told them what I wanted done, in detail, and the manager brushes me off and is like "I don't know let's see what the mechanic says" as he's barely listening to me. He goes "yeah the flexpipe is a common problem on those cars." I was like "Yeah but this is an all custom made exhaust... the flexpipe is aftermarket." and he laughs.

The mechanic goes and drives my car in the bay. Takes him forever to figure out where to lift it on his typical 4-arm lift. Then the manager comes by and condescendingly is like "why put all this money into an Alero" and I was like "Why not? It's fun as hell." and none of them are at all impressed.

So he lifts the car, we look at my exhaust behind the v-band and between the magnaflow muffler I have where my cat used to be. He points to my cutout and is like "what's that?" I was like "It's a cutout.. but I don't need it anymore as I just disconnect the v-band here to dump it for the track." He tells me he can't put a hanger here because there's no frame to screw in to. I was like just weld a hanger up in the tunnel. He says he can't do that. I'm like -__- seriously...... and then he tells me that he can TRY to cut the section of pipe out like in my drawing and then put in a new flexpipe BUT IT USUALLY RUNS AROUND $250. My words: "That's effing ridiculous." And he goes "Nice cable ties though." because my exhaust has some cable ties I temporarily put on it to support it until I get a real hanger welded in.... effing roosters treated me like I knew nothing at all and kept talking down about everything on my car.

I go back to the rear section of the exhaust and he says he can't weld the new muffler on because that's also too rusty. Come on.. I have to get an all new pipe routing welded in? FFS!

So I told him oh well I guess we can't do anything. So he lowers the car and I go pop the hood and say "Just in case you're curious." and they are wholly unimpressed at all. Didn't even come in to take any closer look than standing 10 feet away leaning against a counter.

Essentially this place has people who have no idea what they're doing, and overcharge for everything.

I'll be going to the Midas I usually go to and he'll do exactly what I need for probably $80.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it all depends on where you go, and who happens to work there. I went to Big-O Tires out here, and told them I wanted the tranny fluid checked. The guy of course "Can't find the dipstick," and when I told him how to do it, he went back out, got help. Soon a crowd of the techs gathered around the engine bay, they listened to it run awhile and were impressed with it. But they decided they could not do it! Not gonna touch it.

Took it down the street to an express lube type place, checked it no problem, even let me watch under the car.

Nice diagram, BTW, I need some pointers on how to do that on computer.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #18
AGT
GLS member

AGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond reputeAGT has a reputation beyond repute
I have never even worked on exhaust replacement and I can tell what you want done. What jackholes...just goes to show ya the best deals are the people who have the ability and resources but don't own a commercial shop

oh and as to an earlier post, tight bolts are overated...what have they ever done for us..haha

Have a good day
AGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #19
bushmanalero
GX Member

bushmanalero is on a distinguished road
thats the same problem i had when trying to install my new muffler they wanted me to buy a Wagner that looks exactly like the stock muffler but i told the guy i would pay him extra money if he would just install the muffler i bought but i had no luck reasoning with him
bushmanalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #20
[ion] C2
636 whp

Yeah well I ended up just installing the muffler myself haha. I still need it routed to a tip, but it works for now. Still loud but the noise and vibration is coming from the v-band which chronically loosens up minutes after I tighten it because it's a shitty eBay v-band clamp that use a wingnut-bolt deal to tighten it. Will be getting a legit clamp ASAP.

I'll go to the good Midas on Friday and have my flexpipe and hanger situation taken care of on the cheap.