Aleromod.com Aleromod.com
Old 01-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
03gxeco
GL Member

03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute
coolant question

okay, so i saw somewhere that the coolant that comes in these cars likes to eat away at the intake mani gaskets.. so now that all of my coolant is gone from the TB bypass, if this is true id like to purchase coolant that will work with my engine but not eat my intake gaskets.
03gxeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
mastershake
GL Member

mastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond reputemastershake has a reputation beyond repute
you're talking about the 3.4 right? if so, the gasket has a faulty design and that's why it fails. dexcool, however, will sludge up when exposed to air, and become acidic. if you switch to green coolant, make sure you flush the system to get rid of the dexcool. i heard it doesn't mix well.

Last edited by mastershake : 01-20-2013 at 04:58 PM.
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
03gxeco
GL Member

03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute03gxeco has a reputation beyond repute
yea its a 3400. in my grand am gt.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i would use nothing but whats required for that car. yes it can be a problem, but not if you maintain the fluid well. me, i change the coolant out once a year. so every 20,000-30,000 miles. havent had a problem for 5 years.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
03gxeco
GL Member

i thought dexcool was bad for the cars though?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Shiwnath
15.65 @ 87.3 MPH

Shiwnath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03gxeco View Post
i thought dexcool was bad for the cars though?

Nope. It wasn't the Dexcool that was the issue. It was the material of the gaskets. If it was the dexcool, they wouldn't be selling it still or they wouldv'e changed the formula.. The Dexcool is fine.

Hit a dear! Back to stock 3400... For now
Shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
04PONTIACGA
GL Member

04PONTIACGA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03gxeco View Post
okay, so i saw somewhere that the coolant that comes in these cars likes to eat away at the intake mani gaskets.. so now that all of my coolant is gone from the TB bypass, if this is true id like to purchase coolant that will work with my engine but not eat my intake gaskets.

Did you ask this on GAGT too? I'm asking to save me from re-typing everything I did over there.
04PONTIACGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwnath View Post
Nope. It wasn't the Dexcool that was the issue. It was the material of the gaskets. If it was the dexcool, they wouldn't be selling it still or they wouldv'e changed the formula.. The Dexcool is fine.

I agree. The gasket material and the fact that some of those LIM bolts were not torqued properly and/or did not use the appropriate thread lock caused the problem. When I was doing my research, I found people reporting LIM bolts that were not even finger tight.
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote