Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > General Performance

Old 03-12-2005, 12:22 AM   #1
BlackandBluealerofreak

i have a 2.4L Alero and im pretty sure that im gonna swap out my 2.4 with a 3.8 Liter supercharged motor from GM let me know ur opinoons on it. :thumbsup:
Old 03-12-2005, 12:29 AM   #2
rowdygls
V.I.P. Member

rowdygls is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rowdygls Send a message via MSN to rowdygls Send a message via Yahoo to rowdygls
i have an opinion...do a search for motor swaps and you'll get everyone's opinion. the general rule of thumb when it comes to this....is we'll believe it when we see it.

Chapter Member
rowdygls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:31 AM   #3
wy3134

have fun....ill believe when i see,
Old 03-12-2005, 12:39 AM   #4
BlackandBluealerofreak

Its gonna happen i already bought the engine all i need is a bigger fuel pump and a few more mods and it will be ready to drop in. For you guys who will believe it when you see it come to norwalk in either june or july whenever the meet is
Old 03-12-2005, 12:54 AM   #5
bigd6983

lets see some pictures of the engine and stuff.........
Old 03-12-2005, 12:59 AM   #6
flalero

Quote:
Originally posted by rowdygls@Mar 11 2005, 11:29 PM
i have an opinion...do a search for motor swaps and you'll get everyone's opinion. the general rule of thumb when it comes to this....is we'll believe it when we see it.
What he said, plus some. There have been so many people that have come on this site and said they were going to swap this or swap that. I have yet to see it, after being on here for almost two years. Also, it's going to take a lot more than just a fuel pump to get that thing to work. Like wiring harness, motor mounts, PCM, etc, etc... I would be very surprised if you get it done by June. Plus, why spend all that money? I could get that turbo kit from HP Performance and whoop the living crap out of your 3.8L supercharged car. All for probably 1/3 of the money. That 3.8 is going to throw all kinds of things off on that car, like weight balance. Oh yeah, you are going to have to get a custom hood to clear the supercharger, or you could just cut your stock hood.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:06 AM   #7
wy3134

Quote:
Originally posted by flalero+Mar 12 2005, 05:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (flalero @ Mar 12 2005, 05:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rowdygls@Mar 11 2005, 11:29 PM
What he said, plus some. There have been so many people that have come on this site and said they were going to swap this or swap that. I have yet to see it, after being on here for almost two years. Also, it's going to take a lot more than just a fuel pump to get that thing to work. Like wiring harness, motor mounts, PCM, etc, etc... I would be very surprised if you get it done by June. Plus, why spend all that money? I could get that turbo kit from HP Performance and whoop the living crap out of your 3.8L supercharged car. All for probably 1/3 of the money. That 3.8 is going to throw all kinds of things off on that car, like weight balance. Oh yeah, you are going to have to get a custom hood to clear the supercharger, or you could just cut your stock hood. [/b][/quote]
why waste the effort of telling these people the reality of things anymore....since it never happens anyway....if you own an alero, its more than likely for a reason, cause u couldnt afford a fast car but wanted something sporty and not a cavy or sunfire....only springs, s/c, and the few that have already slapped turbos or supers on their engines run anything fast, and they just beefed up their engines....its a nice thought but in the end makes no sense from an economic standpoint
Old 03-12-2005, 01:09 AM   #8
flalero

I know I shouldn't waste the effort to inform these people of these things, but some people just don't know how to search. You gotta help them out some how. Heck, I might save this post for future reference, in case I need to answer anymore engine swap questions.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:10 AM   #9
wy3134

good point
Old 03-12-2005, 01:13 AM   #10
|Rev|

I'd like to see it!!
Unlike these pecimistic guys, I encourage you to follow your goal!! :thumbsup:

Nothin against you flalero or wy3, jsut trying to add a diff standpoint, because I know what it's like to get all excited about something than have people tell me it's a waste. Hey it's something different, modding an Alero in the first place is a waste, but we take what we have and run with it.
Good luck man
Old 03-12-2005, 01:23 AM   #11
flalero

I agree with you, for the most part, modding an Alero IS a waste of money, but I have never discouraged you from moving ahead with your mods. In fact, I can't wait to see your car with the turbo installed. As far as discouraging others, it's not that I'm really discouraging them, I'm just trying to help them see reality. If I had that much money, I would have a 1989 Rx-7 turbo. It would be completely built to make atleast 300 hp. I would have an RE Amemiya body kit put on it straight from Japan, and I would do a complete resto-mod on the thing (believe me, I've worked on rotaries before, and they are cake). However, I don't have that kind of money, being a measley two-striper in the AF. So I had to settle for the Alero. It is quick and it does put many Hondas and other cars to shame on the track, but I long ago realized it will never be fast enough to hang with a vetter or viper. This is my goal in building my RX-7. I already have plans in place to buy a J-Spec TurboII motor when I'm in Okinawa and ship that back to the US, along with many other Japanese only parts. Then, I will find a junked out RX-7 and go from there. But you see, these are realistic goals, this could all happen with about $10,000-$15,000 of investment. With all this money he's going to spend on his swap, I would have a 1.3L big-block eater.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:27 AM   #12
|Rev|

yeah, I know you havn't discouraged me, that's cool. And I do see your point of letting him know how hard it is, but some people just got the skills and the money, and the time. I think it would be cool if he did it. I just had to give him some positive feedback lol I felt bad for the guy.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #13
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackandBluealerofreak@Mar 11 2005, 11:39 PM
Its gonna happen i already bought the engine all i need is a bigger fuel pump and a few more mods and it will be ready to drop in. For you guys who will believe it when you see it come to norwalk in either june or july whenever the meet is
talk to newfish on l67swap.com. only person i know of with a l67 in a grandam gt. took him and a professional shop about 1000 man hours and it still doesn't run right, but he's the only source of information. there is a ton of custom fabrication. the l67 will not just "drop right in"

id love to see it, the reallity? id sell that engine if you already got it.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:02 AM   #14
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
just a little edit here...

his username is NewFinish on l67swap.com

and you can check out newfinish.com

FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:58 AM   #15
FormulaNERD
GLS member

FormulaNERD is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, first of all, i support you too. but you cant just bring some jackass on here and expect everything to go well when he calls everyone a bunch of dumbasses basically.

i gave you links and pictures to where you could find more information on it.

and secondly, the extra weight up front would be good for traction, but the 3800 s/c is no match for a good turbo setup on the 3400.

there's alot more work involved than i think you realize. and that's what everyone is trying to tell you.
FormulaNERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:00 PM   #16
Travis99Alero

if u get it done, let me know when you're gonna run it at norwalk, and i'll try to make it out.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:18 PM   #17
flalero

Quote:
Originally posted by |Rev|@Mar 12 2005, 12:27 AM
yeah, I know you havn't discouraged me, that's cool. And I do see your point of letting him know how hard it is, but some people just got the skills and the money, and the time. I think it would be cool if he did it. I just had to give him some positive feedback lol I felt bad for the guy.
Don't worry man, it's all good.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #18
flalero

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackandBluealerofreak@Mar 12 2005, 10:55 AM
hey i dont see the reason for you to ban me from aleromod i havent done anything but listen to you guys pretty much call me an idiot for putting a 3.8 in my alero Rev at least showed me simpathy in saying i should do it i would think that you guys would give props to the fact that im gonna improve on my alero. and plus i dont really think that whats his names turbocharged alero could beat mine when its done i think that dude is just dreaming so when it gets done we can go to the track and settle that
First off, I never said I had a turbo. I said if I had one, I would be able to run circles around your 3.8L car, all for 1/3 of the cost. Maybe you should actually read the posts before you write a response. All I would have to do is build up some internals and I could easily bump that up to 15-20psi of boost. I wouldn't have to worry about custom fabrication or trying to get certain parts that don't belong in a car to work together. Remember, you are going to have to get that car to run before you can race it. By the way, you can tell your buddy to f*** off, we don't like to put up with this kind of bullpoop around here. Oh, and the reason I'm not putting a turbo on my car? Well, I'm heading to Okinawa in a month and a half, where I will probably drive one of three cars. A 180SX, RX7, or Supra. Oh and stock these will easily be able to run circles around your car.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #19
bluephoAm

Drop a turbocharger and a supercharger in that. You might as well. Then you can morph into the Ultra-Mega-Zord and fight crime.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:32 PM   #20
bnight04
GLS member

bnight04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to bnight04
And good, I wanna see this process happen. Make sure to take lots of pics when your putting it in.....

how much did you buy the engine for?