Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Performance Related > LA1 3400 Specific

Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

AftermathAlero is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to AftermathAlero
Aftermarket Tranny Cooler Lines question

Would it be smart to just bypass the tranny lines in the stock radiator when using an aftermarket tranny cooler? Or have it run through both coolers (the stock and aftermarket coolers)

Like having lines coming straight to and from the tranny to a B&M tranny cooler?

I need some feedback! I've searched over on gagt.com and all of them ran both the stock and aftermarket coolers. I was thinking about bypassing the stock one into just straight into the aftermarket cooler.

Thanks,
Richie

I will be running this b&m polished street rod tranny cooler for tight spaces.

Specs :
Overall Height (in):4.500 in.Overall Width (in):11.000 in.Overall Thickness (in):1.500 in.

Last edited by AftermathAlero : 01-24-2008 at 03:21 PM.
AftermathAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
CharleyO99Alero
GL Member

CharleyO99Alero is on a distinguished road

This might not help much but I have an afternarket cooler on one of my old cars ('64 Malibu SS) with a powerglide and I did not use the stock cooler in order to remove some heat from the radiator since these are built as one unit. I also used a B&M cooler but it is about 2x larger since I had more room to place it. Anyway, if you're going to bypass the stock cooler, I would suggest a little larger cooler if possible. A hot automatic transmission is not a good thing.

CharleyO99Alero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
i run a combo oil/tranny cooler, bypassing the radiator cooler, works great, but in cold weather my trans barely hits 100* and during the summer 180 to 190*
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
mfuller

Many years ago, I was told by GM Master Technician Joe Roggenbeck (the guy who built the Grand Am SC/T concept and mule cars) to run the auxiliary transmission cooler in conjunction with the cooler in the radiator.
My cooler is plumbed in after the fluid passes through the radiator.
FWIWE, my aux. trans cooler looks very similar to that, just about 3 times the size.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #5
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabartram View Post
i run a combo oil/tranny cooler, bypassing the radiator cooler, works great, but in cold weather my trans barely hits 100* and during the summer 180 to 190*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
Many years ago, I was told by GM Master Technician Joe Roggenbeck (the guy who built the Grand Am SC/T concept and mule cars) to run the auxiliary transmission cooler in conjunction with the cooler in the radiator.
My cooler is plumbed in after the fluid passes through the radiator.
FWIWE, my aux. trans cooler looks very similar to that, just about 3 times the size.

Thanks for the info guys!

I was thinking to bypass the stock radiator cooler cuz the radiator is hot regardless, and just to put the lines off the aftermarket cooler. I know most of you run it through both, after the outside side of the stock radiator tranny cooler. (i guess i'll do the same).

Last edited by AftermathAlero : 01-24-2008 at 11:42 PM.
AftermathAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:18 AM   #6
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
more detailed info:

Most of the heavy research points to running in series, radiator, then aftermarket cooler, then back to the tranny. Down side of running a trans too cool is that it needs to warm up just like the engine does, and putting cold stress on components or jumping to extreme temps too quickly can do alot of harm.

I would recommend putting a aftermarket 19,000 GVW type cooler such as B&M or similar, with thermostatically controlled fan(s). That way you can get up to proper operating temperature and maintain it without drastic jumps or drops in temps. Definitely invest in a tranny temp gauge to monitor.

Good luck.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:41 AM   #7
AftermathAlero
V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
more detailed info:

Most of the heavy research points to running in series, radiator, then aftermarket cooler, then back to the tranny. Down side of running a trans too cool is that it needs to warm up just like the engine does, and putting cold stress on components or jumping to extreme temps too quickly can do alot of harm.

I would recommend putting a aftermarket 19,000 GVW type cooler such as B&M or similar, with thermostatically controlled fan(s). That way you can get up to proper operating temperature and maintain it without drastic jumps or drops in temps. Definitely invest in a tranny temp gauge to monitor.

Good luck.

that one i have listed is 15,000 lbs gvw. Cant fit one w/ the fan w/ my front mount I/C. I am going to put this slim 11" x 4 1/2" x 1 1/2 thick" on the side of the bumper opening on my body kit.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #8
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
that will work just as well I'm sure....you know me, always with the overkill

(Except a "slim" model isn't as effective unless there are more passes in a single column).

Yeah, I forgot....I'm running a liquid intercooler so I got all the room in the world.

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
jabartram
AutoCross Alero

jabartram is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jabartram Send a message via Yahoo to jabartram
i dont have a fan on mine, i had to build custom brackets to bolt it up in front of the radiator.
jabartram is offline   Reply With Quote