Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > Main Forums > New Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Psyfox
GX Member

Psyfox is on a distinguished road
Another New Guy :D

Hey guys,

I've been around the forums for a few weeks searching around for help and suggestions people had with certain things, etc. When I first found this site I was thankful and pleasantly surprised...thankful that there were people that could help me, and surprised in how awesome the Alero is.

I recently bought my cousin's 2001 black Alero GLS coupe (3.4L v6). It's got a good sized dent on the front right fender and bumper and a smaller one on the rear right bumper, but those are actually being worked on as we speak. I bought the car with 65.5k miles on it.

So far I've changed all the fluids, just passed inspection (had to drive 350 f'ing miles to reset that damn engine light) and am currently getting it reregistered (licensing and stuff).

As far as this Alero is going, since I'm in college without a steady job year-round, I'm leaning more towards cosmetics first, and once I'm out of college I'll start doing heavy performance work (might change transmission to manual :P...and yes, I'm aware that it would probably take something around 3k to do that...more if I wanted performance parts).

So far, I've tinted my windows (15% all around except for the front windshield...properly, none of that leave a 1/4 inch at the top crap), put in a WAI, put pilot motorsports' carbon weaved green LED steering wheel cover on, and replaced a couple interior lights (dome, glove box, and trunk...glove and trunk are cool white and the dome is green...compliments of superbrightleds.com).

To come: I'm working on sanding and priming my body kit and spoiler to paint them and install them (AAS combat kit and JKL GTR type-C spoiler), my Wize DTM type muffler got backordered (I originally ordered the titanium burnt tip, but because of the backorder, I switched to the regular...that should be in this upcoming Friday), I have my liteglow underglow kit (green), I have 2 Oznium rocker switches to control my underglow and my footwell glows seperately (and I got 2 10" Oznium piranha bars and a 4.7" flex strip for the footwells, all green), I just got the rest of my interior replacement LEDs in today from superbrightleds (all green), I have pilot motorsports' green el stringlights (which I haven't decided what I want to line with those yet), I bought some cheap high heat primer and green enamel paint (rust-oleum) to do my calipers and possibly my engine with (still need to get a degrease spray before I go at that), and a couple of extra fun things I'll reveal later . I also hope to clear the corners and grab some windshield decals, but I'll address those later.

Future plans: Hopefully, next summer (when I have more money) I'll get larger rims (should I drop the car if I'm getting larger rims?), turn it into a true dual exhaust (3 cyl's per pipe), add some wheel well underglow, and upgrade my speakers and head unit.

Now, about windshield decals and clearing the corners. I think it's Ion that has the aleromod front windshield decal?...I was just wondering if you did that custom or if the forums actually sell them, because I'll definitely slap that on my Alero for the looks and to rep the name.

Now, clearing the corners...I noticed you guys had a thread pointed in a sticky, but unfortunately since you guys changed locations it doesn't work anymore. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good DIY guide as to how to clear your corners?

Last question, as far as installing the combat kit onto my car, to DIY all you do is pull the stock bumper off, mount the kit (since it's a bumper replacement) to where it would sit and just mark where the bracket holes are, drill them out, and when you're ready to install just pop the brackets back on, right?...or how should I go about it?

I'll get pictures that my aunt took of the original look of the car before I did stuff to it, and when I finish all the stuff I have for it now, I'll post those as well (everything should be installed in about 2 weeks).

Great to finally be taking part in these forums now, I love cars (studying to be a mechanical and aerospace engineer) and hope for them to be a hobby of mine for a long time. You guys are awesome, and I'll try to lend a hand when I can.

Pictures can be viewed here: http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...20Alero%20GLS/
Psyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
PappaSmurf
GLS member

PappaSmurf is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear that you have at least read and informed yourself with some of the things to be coming in the near future. Hit the search button like evander hollyfield. And you can find out how to Choke Your Cat so no point in telling you that one. Welcome to the forum and have fun. Oh yeah, dont listen to your friends about your car, you are the one driving it not them. LOL
-Smurf-
PappaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
CactusWill
GLS member

CactusWill is on a distinguished road
Welcome semi - noob. We can't do all the work for you, but you can find all the information you need here.
CactusWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
Toxin13
GX Member

Toxin13 is on a distinguished road
Hey welcome! Cleared Corners DIY I was looking at, not sure if this is the one you found or not, but it's working for me..

Sounds like you know a thing or two already, I can't wait to see your interior when you get that all going..
Toxin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
Psyfox
GX Member

Thanks for the welcomes and DIY link, I'll give it a try when my car gets back to me from this body guy. And I will definitely post pictures for ya when I get the interior done.

Pictures can be viewed here: http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...20Alero%20GLS/
Old 06-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
are you installing a coffee can exhaust?

(not to hate, but the 3400 is a deep sounding engine, needs something like a borla or magnaflow)
Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #7
dragon8807
GL Member

dragon8807 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dragon8807
welcome
05 impreza 2.5rs 5spd - current car
dragon8807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Aleromod Upgrades... the clear corners how to is right there.

Exterior > Headlights > How-To: Clear Corners
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #9
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard!
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #10
Nate's Alero
Now a Ford Traitor.

Nate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond reputeNate's Alero has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
Aleromod Upgrades... the clear corners how to is right there.

Exterior > Headlights > How-To: Clear Corners
that site is epic, a lot not done in the 3400 section
Old 06-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #11
leoalero
GX Member

leoalero is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to leoalero
welcome
Old 06-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
jackal2000
Keepin it Real

jackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond reputejackal2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
welcome
Old 06-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
mach3
V.I.P. Member

mach3 is on a distinguished road
Welcome.
mach3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
Psyfox
GX Member

Thanks everyone, and here's a link of the muffler I'm getting on a corolla (I think it sounds a little fart canny, but on the 3400 I'd expect it to sound even deeper than it does there):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwzt4MsP0fI

Also, what's everyone's opinion of either dropping the car and/or getting bigger rims to fill up the wells?

Edit: Here's a better video/sound, this one's on a beamer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olw8-...eature=related

Last edited by Psyfox : 06-28-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
Atmosphere
GL Member

Atmosphere is on a distinguished road
Welcome, looks like you're right on track.

I'd do both the rims and the drop, they look very nice together.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfox View Post
Also, what's everyone's opinion of either dropping the car and/or getting bigger rims to fill up the wells?
You don't get bigger wheels to "fill up the wheel wells." As the wheel size increases, the tire sidewall decreases, to maintain the proper overall diameter of the stock wheel/tire combo. Otherwise your gearing and everything based on vehicle speed will be incorrect. And everyone likes "rims and a drop."

Quote:
JKL GTR type-C spoiler
Don't know what this is, Google yields zero results, but I can guarantee it's going to look horrendous just by the name. It has to be a gigantic ricer wing.
Quote:
Wize DTM type muffler
Name sounds like a bad idea, canister mufflers don't seem to ever sound decent on any vehicle, regardless of displacement.
Quote:
I think it's Ion that has the aleromod front windshield decal?...I was just wondering if you did that custom or if the forums actually sell them, because I'll definitely slap that on my Alero for the looks and to rep the name.
Used to, I got it off www.autotrimdesign.net.
Quote:
Last question, as far as installing the combat kit onto my car, to DIY all you do is pull the stock bumper off, mount the kit (since it's a bumper replacement) to where it would sit and just mark where the bracket holes are, drill them out, and when you're ready to install just pop the brackets back on, right?...or how should I go about it?
Yes but there's no brakets to pop back on... you're just marking the places to drill. Nothing comes off but the bumpers.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
Psyfox
GX Member

The bumper pins, not brackets, is what I was referring to...taking them out, removing the bumper, mount the kit, drill the holes, and slap the pins back on. Good to know...I figured that's what had to be done.

Also, here's the spoiler: http://www.andysautosport.com/oldsmo...p00060873.html

It's a big wing, but it doesn't sit tall (so it's got a little rice, but I'm hoping to achieve a slick look with it rather than having 5 different paints on every aftermarket part I've put on there with a wing as tall as the car itself).

Thanks again for the link to the decal, and a thanks sent out for the explanation on how the tires work with the rims and the drop...very helpful (now I'm planning on doing both in the future).

And like I said, I'm going the showcar route (for the time being), so I guess I can't say anything when I get called a riceboy for that but at least I'm going to make the car look good (rather than just tossing shit on it).

Old 07-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #18
AleroDrime
The Aleromod PITA

AleroDrime has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to AleroDrime Send a message via MSN to AleroDrime
they're gonna hate it most likely, but i like painted spoilers
AleroDrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #19
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the site!