Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 11-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Bigshot44
GX Member

Bigshot44 is an unknown quantity at this point
new gauges

I bought some gauges oil, water volt. I mounted em on my a piller. I wired them to the PRND light, but I forgot that only turns on at night. Currently I have them all wired to that and only the volt works because I don't know how to set the others up yet. I need someone to tell me which wire powers when the car is turned on, not the night lights. Also I looked around google and could not find how to set the oil and water gauges up. One of them said putting the water where the factory sensor, another said to drill into the rad. Where is the factory water temp sensor located? As of the oil I'm clueless. If someone who has them could show pics and explain that would be greatly appreciated!

2003 Olds Alero 2.2L Eco
Ttop191: who gives a damn what everyone else thinks, if you are proud of it thats all that matters, dont let others persuade you into thinking what you like is wrong.
Bigshot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
slownlow43
GX Member

slownlow43 is an unknown quantity at this point
For the power wire use a jumper on the windshield wiper fuse in the glove box. That's what you need to do when changing stereos from an RDS radio to an aftermarket unit. Sorry, I can't help you on anything else.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
i had trouble when i got mine too.

i cant get my photobuck working to upload a picture of where the oil press sender is. but go to the search button and search "a pillar gauges" as the keyword. and user as "sleepyalero" scroll down in the thread and there will be a picture.

i have a vac, oil press, and volts gauge. also have GlowShift gauges. it came in the mail where you can hook all the gauges up to a group of wires (ground, constant 12v, and power on/off) so when you ran the wires to the front end you only had to deal with 3 wires.

i have the power wire ran directly to the battery, the ground wires are under the bolts to the front fenders. to run the on/off wire, you need to find a current that only has power running to it when you turn the key on.

my car has a sun roof, on the drivers side fuse panel inside the door, theres a red wire that runs to the sunroof switch, i tapped into that for the on/off power and it works.

any other questions you have on the oil pressure gauge.. go to the search button and search keyword "oil" with the username as "sleepyalero" i have a couple threads i made awhile back with quite a bit of questions that people helped me with that you might find helpful. need anything else just ask, and ill do my best to help.

as for the water gauge.. i have no idea on that. hope this helps!
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:40 AM   #4
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
for the oil psi sender you need to get a thread adapter and you can put it in place of the stock sending unit. Nothing will break, the dummy light just wont come on and by the time that thing comes on its already too late. To get to it you have to remove the starter. not scary at all. Just take your time and make sure u remove the battery first, you dont wanna get zapped... it sux trust me. for the water temp do the same thing but get a T adapter, u can find em at most hardware stores... remember to use Teflon tape around the threads so u dont get any leaks i cnt remember which colored wire on the cluster harness was keyed. if u have an aftermarket HU you can use the yellow wire on the aftermarket harness. or use a test light and find one on the fusebox inside by the door.

heres a nice writeup but dont listen to the part about using a tap n die... dumb idea just get this adapter

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18211

Last edited by heineck : 11-15-2010 at 03:43 AM.
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #5
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks I forgot some stuff. I didn't have to remove the starter though. I just reached my hand up to it from under the car.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Bigshot44
GX Member

Thanks for all the help. Just to clarify, all I need to do is remove the factory oil sensor and replace, I believe it came with the adapter. How can I locate it? And what's the t adapter for?

2003 Olds Alero 2.2L Eco
Ttop191: who gives a damn what everyone else thinks, if you are proud of it thats all that matters, dont let others persuade you into thinking what you like is wrong.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
sleepyalero
GLS member

Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-15-2010, 11:48 PM   #8
sleepyalero
GLS member

i didnt use a t fitting for the oil.

mine came with a new oil sensor, with a power, and a ground wire that runs to it. (electrical gauge) i went to napa and got an adapter that was just a 2 way one.. one side was so it would screw into the block and the other was smaller so i could screw on the new sensor, i just left the old oil press sender off. no need for it. but from my understanding some people will use both the stock oil sensor and the new one together onto the t fitting in the block. you dont have to though.

you can locate it pretty easy. just remove the piece of plastic on the pass. side so you have a better access with your hand, get a light look basically right above your starter and there it is!

mine was silver and the base of it was black.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
Bigshot44
GX Member

Do I have to drain the oil? Some say a few drops come out so you don't have to drain it, others say a lot comes out so you do. Mines also an electrical gauge. I'm not going to t the oil but what's "t-ing" the water for if I can just swap sensors?
Thanks again for all the help.

2003 Olds Alero 2.2L Eco
Old 11-16-2010, 01:22 AM   #10
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Just post of a pic of everything that came with both....
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #11
heineck
A-mod Pirate

heineck will become famous soon enoughheineck will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to heineck
i sed to t the water temp that way u dont have a dead gauge in ur cluster
heineck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
Alerojester
GL Member

Alerojester is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Alerojester
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
Just post of a pic of everything that came with both....

X2

stock 2.4-building a WAI to a CAI 3A Racing muffler- ~Kicker Door speakers and Power Accustic rear speakers 10% tint 18x7.5 Alt Sonix, 2001 GLS sedan
Alerojester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
sleepyalero
GLS member

You don't need to drain the oil. I didn't drain mine all the oil was on the end of the old sender. Nothing dripped or poured out.

What brand of gauges did you get?
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by sleepyalero : 11-16-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #14
Bigshot44
GX Member

Here's the parts http://m1089.photobucket.com/albumvi...0CKJFB9 LM%3D

And I'm not sure on the brand, I just got them cheap at princess auto

2003 Olds Alero 2.2L Eco

Last edited by Bigshot44 : 11-16-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #15
Bigshot44
GX Member

Bump

2003 Olds Alero 2.2L Eco
Old 12-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #16
Bigshot44
GX Member

Sorry to bring back an old post but i am having major difficulty installing the oil pressure sensor. I'm trying to find where the sensor is but have no luck. i tried to follow the guide but cannot find the starter. Here are some photos and if someone could guide me closer to the sensor it would be much appreciated. Should i remove the air box?

2003 Olds Alero 2.2L Eco

Last edited by Bigshot44 : 12-22-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #17
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
The B&W pic above if for the 3400 engine, not the Eco.

I used the yellow ign wire behind the radio for ign power and the grey parking light wire for lighting. There are 2 yellow wires back there, one is a speaker wire, the yellow wire for ign hangs out around the grey lighting wire.

Volts just goes to any "hot in run" wire you chose you can even piggyback it on the other gauge if you want.

Water sender. You could just "T" the stock unit with the aftermarket sender

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #18
Bigshot44
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
The B&W pic above if for the 3400 engine, not the Eco.

I used the yellow ign wire behind the radio for ign power and the grey parking light wire for lighting. There are 2 yellow wires back there, one is a speaker wire, the yellow wire for ign hangs out around the grey lighting wire.

Volts just goes to any "hot in run" wire you chose you can even piggyback it on the other gauge if you want.

Water sender. You could just "T" the stock unit with the aftermarket sender

i have all the guages mounted and they all turn on i just need to wire up the senders. the problem is that im not sure where to locate the oil sensor and the water sensor. its probably right under my nose but i dont know how to locate them.

2003 Olds Alero 2.2L Eco
Old 12-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #19
Bigshot44
GX Member

i tried to use this video to locate it but i dont think its there on mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhRM0AIhHfs

2003 Olds Alero 2.2L Eco
Old 12-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #20
sleepyalero
GLS member

Oil sender is basically right above starter And below front exhaust manifold. You have to get under the car the starter is at the bottom of the engine infront of the oil pan
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Quote:
Quote: