Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Alero Appearance

Old 01-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XanderWiFi
Rust Release Campaign (brake and car cleanup)

After dealing with Ohio winters for some years my car has quite a bit of rust on the undercarriage parts, engine block and rear drums. Especially the drums-I have these nice chrome rims but cruddy rusty drums underneath. When I was first putting the wheels on a guy recommended I go get some silver spray paint and paint them there but I wanted to do something more tasteful.

http://www.rustrelease.com/industrial/index.php

I was going to use this product and the gel product to get off what I can. Anyone think of better ways or reasons not to? I am especially concerned with my brakes and engine compartment. I am happy to hear about any suggestions for making the brake system look a little better (rotors front/drums back).
Old 01-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

XanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond reputeXanderWiFi has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing at all? Even for brake appearance?
Old 01-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
Bigshot44
GX Member

Bigshot44 is an unknown quantity at this point
i plan on buying new drums myself.
race pages has a good deal on brembo drums right now.
Drums
but temporarily, im going to get some white vinegar and let them soak in that. after ill spray and clean with some brake cleaner. if there's still some rust ill use some CLR. Then in the short future im going to buy some green high temperature paint off ebay to paint them with. then ill do the same with the front calipers.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

although if i can convince my mom to let me do this in the basement ill do it instead
Electrolytic/Electrolysis rust removal

2003 Olds Alero 2.2L Eco
Ttop191: who gives a damn what everyone else thinks, if you are proud of it thats all that matters, dont let others persuade you into thinking what you like is wrong.

Last edited by Bigshot44 : 01-02-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Bigshot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
Tuse31
GX Member

Tuse31 is on a distinguished road
Brake cleaner works wonders. Duplicolor worked great on my calipers. And I would reccomend high heat paint also.
Tuse31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Is this spray paint we are talking about or is there some way to achieve that powdered color look? Have any pics perchance tuse?

That electrolysis looks interesting...and messy and maybe dangerous lol. I'll go with a specialized product I think.

Those brake drums don't look like what is on the rear wheels of my vehicle. Unless there is a shell that covers the drum? It has been a long time since I cracked those open.

Do they even make higher performance drum pads and brake systems?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Bigshot, your probably better off doing that in a garage. The off chance it does vent off some hazardous gases... you don't want them anywhere in your house.

ESPECIALLY no-where near your pilot light. (even though H2 will float higher, not sink) still.. very risky in house.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
Tuse31
GX Member

Tuse31 is on a distinguished road
I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow if I find time. It is winter however so they may be dirty. I cleaned my calipers with the brake cleaner and then painted them to color match my car.

Duplicolor makes little kits with the "caliper cleaner" but it's really just strong brake cleaner. It also comes with caliper high temp. paint, mixing stick and a paint brush. It's like $12 for the kit at oreilly. It's really strong stuff so you may want to use a jack to raise the car up and take off one rim at a time just in case it would wear on the chrome from how strong the cleaner is...
Tuse31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
Lucalare
GLS member

Lucalare is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lucalare
And wear gloves! My guess is that stuff contains sulfamic acid, or hydrochloric acid in highly diluted state. Either way, if you do get any on bare skin, wash it with water for at least 5 minutes.

FYI not trying to treat you like a noobie, just want to make sure you don't get a chemical burn (like I did).
Lucalare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:58 AM   #9
Bigshot44
GX Member

Bigshot44 is an unknown quantity at this point
those drums should fit they just look different from stock. although its for 2003-04. if your year is different just do a quick search on your vehicle. although i dont think it even matters that much.

we don't have a garage so ill probably just do it outside under a tarp or something.

2003 Olds Alero 2.2L Eco
Ttop191: who gives a damn what everyone else thinks, if you are proud of it thats all that matters, dont let others persuade you into thinking what you like is wrong.

Last edited by Bigshot44 : 01-03-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Bigshot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
XanderWiFi
Premier V.I.P. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshot44 View Post
those drums should fit they just look different from stock. although its for 2003-04. if your year is different just do a quick search on your vehicle. although i dont think it even matters that much.

we don't have a garage so ill probably just do it outside under a tarp or something.

I wouldn't do it outside on a tarp unless you want dirt, grit and who knows what else to blow into it. Probably need a ventilator mask for fumes as well. I have a 2004 but I'll have to take a closer look. Holes are for the lugnuts to screw over I am sure. Smooth would probably look sharper than the stock ridged that I have.

I will have to look into that caliper kit. Sounds like they make it easy. May need to buy new calipers to look sportier. The stock ones are so grainy looking.

Definitely do not do the electrolysis in the basement. Cherry is right-what do you keep in the basement? Water heats and furnaces which all have pilot lights for the most part. Hydrogen gas is extremely flammable.

Luca-thanks for the heads up. Chemical burns are never fun.