Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Paint and Body Work

Old 04-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
scouseman
GX Member

scouseman is on a distinguished road
Alero body/paint issues

Greetings my fellow Alero lovers,I'm new to this forum. My 02 Oldsmobile Alero is starting to show its age(below the doors) . I have included some photos. I've had the issue for a few months, it seems to be getting worse. I really can't afford a big repair bill, I just got some new tires today that I desperately needed as well. Also, judging from the pics, anyone have any idea what that would cost to repair? Don't want to get ripped off. Any suggestions or DIY methods out there? Any suggestion will be helpful.This is the first V6 I've ever driven, love the sound and how it feels, I want to keep it alive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140414_001.jpg (12.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140414_002.jpg (14.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20140414_003.jpg (13.1 KB, 135 views)
scouseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
Common issue with these cars in that spot. Only real fix is cut out all the bad metal. And weld in new/paint.

Theres no half assing rust. You cant stop it unless you get rid of it.

Id also suggest some POR15 if you have it redone. Its a rust prevention so it doesnt happen again.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
scouseman
GX Member

I was hoping it wouldn't come to cutting out any metal, but I guess I have no choice. Seems I have to make do and splash some cash. Thanks for the tip on the POR15.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
while you don't want to wait to long, you could use color match paint to hide temporarily until you can get the money to fix it...(wouldn't wait too long, or it will just get more expensive)
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
scouseman
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03glgold View Post
while you don't want to wait to long, you could use color match paint to hide temporarily until you can get the money to fix it...(wouldn't wait too long, or it will just get more expensive)

Thanks, not a bad suggestion. I thought about that, but I didn't want to do that and prolong the issue. I'm sorta having some financial difficulties right now, but it seems I have no choice but to do that. Would definitely would like to have this done ASAP tho. Just out of curiosity, would I be able to obtain the color a GM dealership?

Last edited by scouseman : 04-15-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
you can get spray can color match at the auto parts store...though i have a can, i need to get one or two more to be sure, they seem to be discontinuing some of the colors...you should be able to get something at the dealer as well
Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
scouseman
GX Member

Quote:
you can get spray can color match at the auto parts store...though i have a can, i need to get one or two more to be sure, they seem to be discontinuing some of the colors...you should be able to get something at the dealer as well

Thanks, I will look into that. I'll check with the auto parts stores in my area and try to get that color.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
get it fixed early for sure, whatever it takes have it done right if you want to keep the car for a long time
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
scouseman
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ion] C2 View Post
get it fixed early for sure, whatever it takes have it done right if you want to keep the car for a long time

I really want to get it taken care of. I definitely plan on doing it the right way. I like the looks and body of the car, and I love the sound and feel of a V6. It's got 82K on it right now, and a very comfortable ride. I want to keep it for a bit longer. My dash has some stains on it too close by the Windshield vents, that's my next issue.I plan on using some touch up interior paint on it. But I'm gonna focus on the bigger issue at hand first.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
scouseman
GX Member

Apparently I'm being told it's "NOT" worth fixing...And the repairs would cost more than the vehicle is worth, and the rust will come back eventually. Seriously???
Old 04-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
doesn't come back if you do a good job, go to a better place

yeah it's going to cost more than the vehicle is "worth"

i put a lot more money into my car than any regular joe on the street would do. it's worth it to me.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #12
scouseman
GX Member

Spot on mate. I will try and have it fixed and make sure its done right. I'm in no hurry to get into another vehicle payment. I really like my ride, and I definitely think its worth fixing.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:02 AM   #13
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Keep looking for a body shop that's reputable and doesn't have incompetent workers. Yes, any body work will be worth more than the car, but at this point older cars are worth keeping instead of buying a new car, especially considering that Olds isn't made anymore and that most current designs are too cookie cutter.

Whatever it takes to fix it, that's what matters. Also, once you have the rust fixed, it would be a good idea to have the bottom checked for rust as well and painted with POR15. That way if it does come back, it won't be as bad as right now.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #14
negolien
GL Member

negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien negolien
Exclamation Meh I'd shake that guys hand

In all fairness sometimes honesty is brutal. At 82k miles with the vehicle in questionable shape whoever gave you an honest answer should be congratulated. They could have always just bilked you for whatever they could squeeze out of you.

One of the bad things about living in snow country is salt. Probably worst than living in a southern state to be honest. Not sure which one you are in or the car was in. Chances are if there's rust there there's rust elsewhere. Lift the carpet in the trunk and pull the back seat and look under the mat. You're talking about cutting sheet metal and tack welding another piece on then grinding, primer and paint.

Some people on here have oodles of money to spend on the vehicles they have. Average Joe's like me and it sounds like you don't. Hell I been saving the part I can spend out of two paychecks just to have a small part of my audio system done at a time. Don't go overboard if there's rust what's the condition of the engine, brakes, coolant system yadda yadda yadda. Prioritize my friend I think that's the best advice someone could give you.
negolien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #15
scouseman
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
In all fairness sometimes honesty is brutal. At 82k miles with the vehicle in questionable shape whoever gave you an honest answer should be congratulated. They could have always just bilked you for whatever they could squeeze out of you.

One of the bad things about living in snow country is salt. Probably worst than living in a southern state to be honest. Not sure which one you are in or the car was in. Chances are if there's rust there there's rust elsewhere. Lift the carpet in the trunk and pull the back seat and look under the mat. You're talking about cutting sheet metal and tack welding another piece on then grinding, primer and paint.

Some people on here have oodles of money to spend on the vehicles they have. Average Joe's like me and it sounds like you don't. Hell I been saving the part I can spend out of two paychecks just to have a small part of my audio system done at a time. Don't go overboard if there's rust what's the condition of the engine, brakes, coolant system yadda yadda yadda. Prioritize my friend I think that's the best advice someone could give you.

Sounds like you're saying just fack it and live with it. There is no rust under the mat. The coolant system, brakes and the engine is fine. No issues there. I appreciate the advice though.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
01OhioAlero
GX Member

01OhioAlero is on a distinguished road
Honestly your is kinda bad. But if you want you can sand/grind the rust away, primer and repaint. If you use some por15 or some rust perventers yearly and keep up on car wash's you can keep it from coming back. But check under the side skirt and see if its rusted through first. If so your in trouble.
01OhioAlero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #17
03glgold
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post

Great advice if:
A) it wasnt a brand that is no longer made so every car saved is good being as they are part of the history of the company
B) assuming no attachment to the vehicle
C) assuming it is a unsafe death trap that barely runs

Considering it is the opposite of all those it is a candidate for repair...by your standards nobody should ever restore a car because it will rarely ever be worth the same...while with most cars this age we dont think this way, there should be an exception for ones that serve a major part of some sort of automotive history
Old 04-21-2014, 10:50 PM   #18
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
while with most cars this age we dont think this way, there should be an exception for ones that serve a major part of some sort of automotive history

i agree entirely. so few people other then us semi few and far between car guys get that. to may people its just a car unfortunately, and they dont really give a crap.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:54 PM   #19
scouseman
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01OhioAlero View Post
Honestly your is kinda bad. But if you want you can sand/grind the rust away, primer and repaint. If you use some por15 or some rust perventers yearly and keep up on car wash's you can keep it from coming back. But check under the side skirt and see if its rusted through first. If so your in trouble.

I'm considering that option. I will check under the side skirts and see how it is. I will keep you folks posted.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:14 PM   #20
Papa Rad17
Premier V.I.P. Member

Papa Rad17 is on a distinguished road
I did some rust repair on my alero a few years ago. I had to get around the fender wells in a few spots and the bottom of the rear doors inside and out (not THROUGH the door). I got several quotes and they were all 1k-6 or even 7 thousand. I got the drill sanding attachments, bunch of sand paper, primer, paint, clear coat and went to town. It was the first real body work I had done, just do some research and its really not that bad. my garage fix kept it all away for the year I still had the car, only a very small amount ever start to poke back through on a spot on the fender. of course it depends on the severity, you must get down to clean metal before you can start any repair, if its all the way through it will be a huge job with some mesh screen maybe, just a mess. if you can get down to clean metal and its not all the way through you might have to build it up again with some bondo. then just sand smooth, prime, light fine grit sand, paint, clearcoat.
other than your bottom picture (doesnt loot to hot there) mine looked pretty similar to that on top anyway, garage fix turned out alright.
Papa Rad17 is offline   Reply With Quote