Aleromod.com Aleromod.com

Go Back   Aleromod.com > General Help > Common Questions & Troubleshooting

Old 03-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
operagost
GX Member

operagost is on a distinguished road
ATF replacement

ATF is supposed to be replaced at 100K. As most of us who has ever opened the hood know, the system is sealed. I was going to have the dealer replace it at about 150K-- yes, I forgot-- and he suggested leaving it alone until the trans needed a rebuild, as the fluid was think and he thought I might have more trouble with new stuff in a worn trans. The trans works OK under normal circumstances, but it does shift late when at or near WOT and, sometimes if I punch the throttle when the car is rolling, it shudders (it's only done this twice in the past two years). Reverse works perfectly. So should I just leave it alone until I have problems under normal driving, or change out that fluid and see if it really needs a rebuild? I don't have any real plans to replace it, and I do have a backup vehicle.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:56 PM   #2
Garfield
GX Member

Garfield is on a distinguished road
I would replace the fluid and filter. When you have the pan off you can also see how much debris is in the pan, which could indicate how worn your transmission is.
Cherry: 2004 Alero GLS Sedan (Final 500 #362) ~63k
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
I have heard if it hasnt been serviced when needed, to leave it alone or it will just get worse.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
I dropped the pan at 100k to change the filter. Filled it with
Valvoline Dexron-vi full synthetic. I'm at 181,xxx right now and no problems from the trans, and it gets beat on daily.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:00 PM   #5
Young Gun
GX Member

Young Gun is on a distinguished road
Bought the car with 60k in 2009.
Had a shop just drop the pan and change the filter and top off with new fluid at 75k.
3500(LX9) swap at 80k
Delivered pizza from 83k to 142k

I wait until she is fully warm and then I beat the piss out of her.. Just came back from a 1800 mile trip and I am at 166k now. All is still well with her. I meant to drop the pan and put in a new filter and top it off again but I just haven't. Am I tempting fate? maybe. I would feel better if I did it so I think to make yourself feel better you should change it too.

Last edited by Young Gun : 03-01-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
Starglow
GX Member

Starglow is on a distinguished road
I would change the fluid & filter now instead of waiting for total transmission failure. You can add some Lucas Transmission Fix when doing the fluid change that should help with most issues it may be having.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #7
mrbreezeet1
GX Member

mrbreezeet1 is on a distinguished road
Older thread, But I have about 155K on mine, About 4 0r 5 years ago, It started Banging real hard going into Drive or reverse.
It didn't shift too bad, as noted by the OP, it was somewhat late shifting under heavy throttle, and shifted a little soft.
I dumped a Qt of (what is the real popular additive) I want to say Rislone.
That fixed the banging, and has been fine for the past 4- 0r 5 years.
from what I understand, the computer senses slippage, It ups the transmission pressure, to allowed it to not slip when shifting.
But, I'd sort of like to change it, But I think I petter leave it alone.
I wish the stupid things were not sealed.
That was the stupidest thing they ever did I think.
mrbreezeet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:48 PM   #8
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
^ Mine went 207k miles without ever having the trans fluid replaced. Not sure how much further it went after that as I no longer had the car, but I was told the same thing Sleepy was. If it wasn't serviced when it was supposed to be to just leave it until the time came I started having issues.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #9
mrbreezeet1
GX Member

Yeah, I knew a little of the history, She had the Intake gaskets replaced already.
Not sure if upper or lower, does the upper caus issues on the 3.4 also, or just the lower.
It was supposed to have been "well taken care of" But you know how that "could" go. I have heard to leave it alone too, if it was never changed.
Considering it started Banging into Drive, and reverse, Cause of the ECM upping the pressure, and the rislone took care of it, I best Pick Lever B.
I remember now, I was like on a 60 Mile Yard sale trip, all on Rt 40,
It was right before I got sick.
So it was Early June, of 2013. if anything, it seemed a little weak, and hesitant shifting for a while, if anything it's gotten better.
so its been shifting well, for 3 1/2 years.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:05 PM   #10
That01Olds
GLS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreezeet1 View Post
Yeah, I knew a little of the history, She had the Intake gaskets replaced already.
Not sure if upper or lower, does the upper caus issues on the 3.4 also, or just the lower.
It was supposed to have been "well taken care of" But you know how that "could" go. I have heard to leave it alone too, if it was never changed.
Considering it started Banging into Drive, and reverse, Cause of the ECM upping the pressure, and the rislone took care of it, I best Pick Lever B.
I remember now, I was like on a 60 Mile Yard sale trip, all on Rt 40,
It was right before I got sick.
So it was Early June, of 2013. if anything, it seemed a little weak, and hesitant shifting for a while, if anything it's gotten better.
so its been shifting well, for 3 1/2 years.

Yeah, thankfully I knew the history of mine pretty well. The car was a 2001 model and had been in our family since 2002. It was my mom's car first, then my dad's, followed by me, and lastly it went to my sister who eventually ended up trading it in. So I knew it was well taken care of. Mine was a 2.4L, but I'm pretty sure it's just the lower gaskets that are known to fail on the 3.4L cars. Although if you're going to replace the lower it definitely doesn't hurt to just go ahead and replace the upper too while you're in there.

Yeah, this is true cause you never truly know how well someone took care of a used car. Especially an older one unless you knew the person who owned it personally. That's good that the rislone mitigated the problem though and it has been good since. My 2005 Mazda6 wagon liked to bang into reverse, but it would only do it when it was cold out and you started/moved the car for the first time. Otherwise any other time it would be fine. I suspected it would eventually become an issue, but thankfully I've since gotten rid of that car and didn't have to find out lol.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
mrbreezeet1
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That01Olds View Post
Yeah, thankfully I knew the history of mine pretty well. The car was a 2001 model and had been in our family since 2002. It was my mom's car first, then my dad's, followed by me, and lastly it went to my sister who eventually ended up trading it in. So I knew it was well taken care of. Mine was a 2.4L, but I'm pretty sure it's just the lower gaskets that are known to fail on the 3.4L cars. Although if you're going to replace the lower it definitely doesn't hurt to just go ahead and replace the upper too while you're in there.

Yeah, this is true cause you never truly know how well someone took care of a used car. Especially an older one unless you knew the person who owned it personally. That's good that the rislone mitigated the problem though and it has been good since. My 2005 Mazda6 wagon liked to bang into reverse, but it would only do it when it was cold out and you started/moved the car for the first time. Otherwise any other time it would be fine. I suspected it would eventually become an issue, but thankfully I've since gotten rid of that car and didn't have to find out lol.
Yeah, I wasn't sure what gasket was pretty well famous for going bad on the 3.4. But she told be the intake gasket that "always goes out " was already replaced.
Must have been the lower.
I know it''s probably not that big of a job,
I did work as a general mechanic most of my life, But never did a lot of major motor work. , Yeah, few intakes, heads, on small block chevy s,
heads on 4 cylinder Motors, timing chains and belt.
But I'm retired, and do a little work on the side, But really don't care to have to do anything big, especially on my car for free.....lol.
Im Guilty of not really maintaining this car the way I did in the past, as I used to enjoy it as a hobby on my own cars,
But now, I only do something when It breaks. Just Had a blown steel brake like this summer, But when l pulled the air box, and battery,
and looked at the lines, I said, NO, Its getting every steel line on the car. Thats the only way to do it.
I would have been replacing a steel line every few weeks, or one line every month .
I'm thinking it might have been Lucas additive now.
Have trouble remembering things these days. But yeah, It WAS Lucas.

tell y'a though, it's a great running car.
esp. for 158,000 on it.
It's getting a little hard riding when hitting pot holes, and bumps,
Do have all 4 struts replaced ,well, Its been about 3 0r 4 years now,
They were Quick struts, or ready struts, You know, the full new springs and mounts. IMO, the only way to go. Its Win/Win , for the mechanic, and the customer,
Thinking about some new lower control arm bushings, But the whole Arm is pretty cheap on e bay. So, I might do that.
It's been needing a front passenger side window Motor, and regulator,
and the darn clips on the window broke too, So it's had the door panel off, (stored in the garage) and a stick wedged in there holding the glass up. The stick "looks better" than the Duck tape on the Out side of the window did......................lol
So now you see why I said it was Ratty looking enough, without having the A/C center vent Busted up.....LOL
Going on a Bit here, Thanks for the reply, and for reading.
What are you driving now?
Old 01-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #12
Alerodriver17
GX Member

Alerodriver17 is on a distinguished road
"Yeah, I wasn't sure what gasket was pretty well famous for going bad on the 3.4."

IIRC it is the lower intake manifold gasket. I changed on mine shortly after purchase, wasn't leaking but just in case. Am I Right?? Wasn't easy, more of PITA
Alerodriver17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
mrbreezeet1
GX Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerodriver17 View Post
"Yeah, I wasn't sure what gasket was pretty well famous for going bad on the 3.4."

IIRC it is the lower intake manifold gasket. I changed on mine shortly after purchase, wasn't leaking but just in case. Am I Right?? Wasn't easy, more of PITA
I'll bet it was, Especially "Today" with all the computer sensor wiring, and vacuum lines.
Then you usually break a plastic part or two, vacuum fittings, and remembering where everything goes.
Thankfully, the wiring almost falls into place, and the connectors only go to one sensor or switch, and only that sensor or switch.
Vacuum lines, that can be another story...........lol
I am Greatfull she already had the Intake gasket done.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #14
mrbreezeet1
GX Member

Where do these gaskets leak, externally, or in to the oil, or it just depends?
Could be either?
Old 01-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #15
Alerodriver17
GX Member

Quote:
I'll bet it was, Especially "Today" with all the computer sensor wiring, and vacuum lines.
Then you usually break a plastic part or two, vacuum fittings, and remembering where everything goes.
Thankfully, the wiring almost falls into place, and the connectors only go to one sensor or switch, and only that sensor or switch.
Vacuum lines, that can be another story...........lol
I am Greatfull she already had the Intake gasket done.

Yea I didn't BREAK anything persay (just found something that was already broken). But it was easy to put back together, stuck a cheap camera to the hood (left hood on) and recorded entire process, then watched it back to see where everything went.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #16
Alerodriver17
GX Member

Quote:
Where do these gaskets leak, externally, or in to the oil, or it just depends?
Could be either?

Could be either. Just depends on where they blow.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #17
mrbreezeet1
GX Member

Quote:
Yea I didn't BREAK anything persay (just found something that was already broken). But it was easy to put back together, stuck a cheap camera to the hood (left hood on) and recorded entire process, then watched it back to see where everything went.
Oh wow, That's a good Idea!
Never thought of that, I've taken pictures before,
and I've also said, "Darn it, I "Should" have taken a D@#$ picture.....lol.

Quote:
Could be either. Just depends on where they blow.
OK, That's kind of What I thought would be possible.
I'd rather have an external leak, Don't care for antifreeze in my oil.......LOL

Last edited by mrbreezeet1 : 01-24-2017 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-28-2017, 11:24 PM   #18
That01Olds
GLS member

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't sure what gasket was pretty well famous for going bad on the 3.4. But she told be the intake gasket that "always goes out " was already replaced.
Must have been the lower.
I know it''s probably not that big of a job,
I did work as a general mechanic most of my life, But never did a lot of major motor work. , Yeah, few intakes, heads, on small block chevy s,
heads on 4 cylinder Motors, timing chains and belt.
But I'm retired, and do a little work on the side, But really don't care to have to do anything big, especially on my car for free.....lol.
Im Guilty of not really maintaining this car the way I did in the past, as I used to enjoy it as a hobby on my own cars,
But now, I only do something when It breaks. Just Had a blown steel brake like this summer, But when l pulled the air box, and battery,
and looked at the lines, I said, NO, Its getting every steel line on the car. Thats the only way to do it.
I would have been replacing a steel line every few weeks, or one line every month .
I'm thinking it might have been Lucas additive now.
Have trouble remembering things these days. But yeah, It WAS Lucas.

tell y'a though, it's a great running car.
esp. for 158,000 on it.
It's getting a little hard riding when hitting pot holes, and bumps,
Do have all 4 struts replaced ,well, Its been about 3 0r 4 years now,
They were Quick struts, or ready struts, You know, the full new springs and mounts. IMO, the only way to go. Its Win/Win , for the mechanic, and the customer,
Thinking about some new lower control arm bushings, But the whole Arm is pretty cheap on e bay. So, I might do that.
It's been needing a front passenger side window Motor, and regulator,
and the darn clips on the window broke too, So it's had the door panel off, (stored in the garage) and a stick wedged in there holding the glass up. The stick "looks better" than the Duck tape on the Out side of the window did......................lol
So now you see why I said it was Ratty looking enough, without having the A/C center vent Busted up.....LOL
Going on a Bit here, Thanks for the reply, and for reading.
What are you driving now?

Yeah, it is the lower that's notorious for failing. My parents had it happen on their Grand Am GT with the 3400 back when they had it. I'm pretty sure it was at over 100k miles when it finally went though. I love cars, I really do, but when it comes to maintenance I typically just do the routine stuff lol. Oil changes, wiper replacement, bulbs, change tires or the battery, etc. Little stuff like that. When it comes to major things it either goes to the dealer or a mechanic cause one I want it done right and two I don't have the patience for some of the bigger stuff.

Yeah, I'm very particular about the way I take care of my cars lol. A lot of it just has to do with the way I was raised and watching my dad and grandfather take really good care of their cars. They're great cars though. For sure. I've seen ones that are in really bad shape and they still are trucking along. Those window motors/regulators are another one of those things that are notorious for breaking on these cars. The clips are too. Trust me I'm pretty sure just about everyone who has owned one of these cars has replaced at least one at some point lol. I know 3 of the 4 on mine were replaced during the 9-10 years it was in my family.

Yeah, I definitely understand where you are coming from there lol and no problem. You're welcome. Currently I own a 2017 Volkswagen Jetta 5-Speed and a 2014 Mazda Miata. The VW is my daily whereas the Mazda is my weekend/toy car lol. I decided to go import back in 2013 cause GM doesn't really make anything I like anymore. Aside from the SS and Corvette and I'm not really a fan of Chrysler products (there are a few exceptions) and I'm definitely not a fan of Ford.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:44 AM   #19
mrbreezeet1
GX Member

I worked in a foreign car garage, those VW's were nice cars.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #20
That01Olds
GLS member

Quote:
I worked in a foreign car garage, those VW's were nice cars.

Yeah, I'm really liking it so far. This is my first VW and I've only had it a little over 2 months now. Most of the people I've talked to who own them say they love them though. I picked it up brand new for a little over $14k and got the extended 10 year/120,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty as well.